Lens Cleaning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
So the thread on UV filters got me to take mine various filters off for now. The question becomes what products and techniques to you all use to clean your front and back lens elements. A search didn't find what I thought was a clear discussion. I have this blower for my coffee gear and was considering one for the camera. What else?

For routine use, I normally only need a lint free lens cloth (same kind you get with a pair of glasses). If there is something more, I use lens cleaning fluid and lens tissue. I also bought a lens pen but have not used it!

I use a microfibre lens cloth regularly, and when something more is needed I use Zeiss Wipes. Because shipping to NZ is often as much as the item, I get 5-6 boxes of 60 at a time. Great for salty sunglasses too !

For as long as I can remember, which goes back to the film days when coatings on lenses were very "fragile" I've used the same technique:
I use a blower to blow off debris. If further cleaning is needed I use a clean cotton cloth (microfiber will do) and a couple of drops of Formula MC on the cloth. Wipe with a light touch and then polish clean with a dry section of the cloth. (I use cotton men's handkerchiefs, white, no dyes). I then get the blower and blow off the lint from the cotton.
In the event I get salt water splash on the lens, I start by wiping as much off as possible with a cotton cloth, wiping gently with almost no pressure. If dried with salt residual, I soak the cotton cloth in water and dab the lens (cloth is wet but not dripping) until the salt crstals are liquified. I then blot off all the excess on the surface and go to the normal process with a clean cloth. The key is a light touch, only enough pressure to get the job done. Let the cleaner do the work. I've got old lenses that have seen many whale watches (100+ per year) that don't have a mark on the glass using this method. YMMV.

So the thread on UV filters got me to take mine various filters off for now. The question becomes what products and techniques to you all use to clean your front and back lens elements. A search didn't find what I thought was a clear discussion. I have this blower for my coffee gear and was considering one for the camera. What else?
I use a blower for light cleaning. If I need a cloth, I use a clean microfiber cloth only used for glasses and lenses. When I need moisture, I use Zeiss wipes. NEVER use ammonia based cleaners on any kind of lens or filter as it can fog acrylic or styrene materials and some films or coatings.

Note that the alcohol in Zeiss wipes is good for cleaning light rain or even frost or ice off a lens element or viewfinder.

Years ago this product was recommended to me by a camera store owner who was a retired physicist: https://www.lensclens.com/shop/ . I was instructed to put a drop in the middle of the lens and use a disposable lens tissue (Kodak used to make them and I believe that Tiffen still does) that was wadded up to gently wipe in a circular motion, making sure I did not leave fluid at the edges of the lens. It has always worked well for me when an element has needed more than a blowing off.

--Ken

The way I was taught as an apprentice in the early '70s was to gently wad a piece of Kodak lens tissue and wet it with 1/2 drop of Kodak lens cleaner. Fingerprints and skin oil were supposed to etch the coatings. Don't know how true that was or if it applies to the new coatings but alcohol is very effective on fingerprints so I use the Zeiss wipes now.
I still have half a bottle of Kodak lens cleaner. I'm sure it's still good as it was made long before there were expiration dates.

The way I was taught as an apprentice in the early '70s was to gently wad a piece of Kodak lens tissue and wet it with 1/2 drop of Kodak lens cleaner. Fingerprints and skin oil were supposed to etch the coatings. Don't know how true that was or if it applies to the new coatings but alcohol is very effective on fingerprints so I use the Zeiss wipes now.
I still have half a bottle of Kodak lens cleaner. I'm sure it's still good as it was made long before there were expiration dates.
The Lensclens website's FAQ page actually talks a bit about expiration dates and the contents of their cleaners in case you are interested. I suspect that the Kodak cleaner may be somewhat similar to their products lines.

--Ken

The Lensclens website's FAQ page actually talks a bit about expiration dates and the contents of their cleaners in case you are interested. I suspect that the Kodak cleaner may be somewhat similar to their products lines.

--Ken
Thank you! I was kidding about the Kodak cleaner, it's a curiosity now. Lensclens 4 formulas are all alcohol based, Kodak is mostly water. As I said I'm using the Zeiss alcohol wipes.

Here is the Lensclens SDS sheet:

Classification of the substance or mixture: Flame
Flam. Liq. 2 H225 Highly flammable liquid and vapor.
Skin Irrit. 2 H315 Causes skin irritation.
Eye Irrit. 2A H319 Causes serious eye irritation.
  • · Label elements:
  • · Hazard pictograms:
  • · Signal word: Danger
  • · Hazard statements:
    H225 Highly flammable liquid and vapor. H315 Causes skin irritation.
    H319 Causes serious eye irritation.
    · Precautionary statements:
P210 Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. P233 Keep container tightly closed.
  1. P240 Ground/bond container and receiving equipment.
  2. P241 Use explosion-proof electrical/ventilating/lighting/equipment.
  3. P242 Use only non-sparking tools.
  4. P243 Take precautionary measures against static discharge.
P264 Wash thoroughly after handling.
P280 Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. P302+P352 If on skin: Wash with plenty of water.
Reviewed on 06/07/2021
Page 1/12
www.lensclens.com
(Contd. on page 2)

And to think I was embarrassed by prop 65.

My strategy is similar to many: blowing/brushing off any fine grit etc first before actually cleaning any glass surface. Out in the dusty conditions on bush trips, I carry a 500ml can of compressed air to blow off the exterior of cameras and lenses. This works better than a hand-blower.
However one proceeds, the critical first step is to blow off any sand and other mineral particles with potential to scratch coated glass surfaces. If I don't have a blower/compressed air, a soft brush (lenspen) works well, pointing the lens down;

Then use a microcloth or the Lenspen to gently wipe the glass, from centre to outer rim;

I also use the Zeiss wet tissues or lens cleaning fluid at any hint of a smudge or oil on the lens. The opticians sell Lens cleaning fluid in convenient small plastic bottles, which is usually isopropanol or isobutanol with a dash of a detergent such as SDS. The active solvent in the Zeiss fluid is a butyl ether with added preservative, Methylisothiazolinone.

Gadgets here: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-camera-lens-cleaners

Last edited:
Like others, I first blow and brush (lens pen), then if out in the field, use Nikon wipes as required. Back in the room or at home, I’ll use ROR (residual oil remover) and PEC pads (after blowing and brushing first) for a deeper clean of fingerprints, salt spray, etc.
One thing I carry in my tool kit is a small 1” paint brush for brushing off dust and grit from the non-glass parts of the lens and the camera body.

Soft bristle lens brush if there is "scratchy" stuff on the lens. Mainly just a lens cloth to remove dust. I always carry Zeiss wipes with me. For smaller lenses I also carry a Lens Pen which has a built in brush and rubber tip for removing smudges. Zeiss wipes are excellent for prescription glasses, sun glasses, lenses, etc. You can get a box of them via B&H or other such stores.

In the field: Blower first, brush next, then the microfiber, finally the Zeiss Wipes if I need to.

At home: all of the above first, but if I need to hunker down and clean deeper, I use a microfiber cloth with Lens Clens #1. Their #1 is for coated optics, #2 for non-coated, #4 is for plastic front elements.

Last edited:
For routine use, I normally only need a lint free lens cloth (same kind you get with a pair of glasses). If there is something more, I use lens cleaning fluid and lens tissue. I also bought a lens pen but have not used it!
Lens cleaner microcloths are good but be gentle and never wash them (washing powder residue is abrasive) ... 🦘

Back