Lens Cleaning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have heard another photographer say microfiber cloths can be washed but I have never felt the need to. Mine still seem clean after years of use (my gear never gets that dirty) and they are so inexpensive that I think I would buy a new one before washing one. BTW my favorite cloth is one I got at the gift shop at Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany.

DSC_7189.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Reactions: Roy
Can anyone recommend a good source of inexpensive BULK microfiber cloths?

I mean the more delicate ones best for lens cleaning. not the big bag of thick, dish-towel-sized yellow cloths at Costco.

Chris
B&H lists the Sensei Premium Microfiber Lens Cloth, 8" as its number one seller. They also list numerous reviews as almost all 5 stars with occasional 4 star. I haven't tried them myself but I plan to. Sold individually at $5 each.

I did just find a pack of 30 MagicFiber microfiber cloths on Amazon for $20. I've used these before and they're fine, but the bulk price was higher before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043WJRRS/?tag=backcogaller-20

PS on cleaning: I've read care instructions from manufactures of these say to wash in warm water with NO detergent. But at less than a buck each, I will probably just toss them in the laundry and use them for reading glasses for their 2nd use.

I have heard another photographer say microfiber cloths can be washed but I have never felt the need to. Mine still seem clean after years of use (my gear never gets that dirty) and they are so inexpensive that I think I would buy a new one before washing one. BTW my favorite cloth is one I got at the gift shop at Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany.

View attachment 59199
Microfibre cloths will compromise font elements or UV filters.
In heavy use I replace my UV filters every few months - its cheaper than getting my front elements replaced ... 🦘

Gentle use of clean microfibre cloths is acceptable.
But i've seen several instances of inexperienced photographers using them so hard that they remove most of the coatings on what was new lenses ... 🦘
Understandable, but couldn't this be said of any type of cleaning cloth? Hate to see the cloth get a bad reputation when the problem is squarely user error.

--Ken

Yes - I've seen the problem with multiple types of cloth.
A microfibre cloth is ok as long as its used gently.
For many people its much safer to let them clean a UV or protective filter than a front element ... 🦘

I use a blower first and the brush to remove anything that may be trapped in the areas where the lens cap attaches. Then any smears (usually after rain gets on the front element) are removed with the Lenspen (original).

I have seen the question of how best to clean a front element raised so many times, I wish there were some definitive answers from companies, @Steve - Do you have a tried and tested method? Could be an interesting topic as part of a lens and camera body care video ;)

The first time I saw a clear ‘Skylight’ filter was in the late 60’s, I’ve had a Skylight, later termed UV, on every lens I’ve owned ever since*. They go on the lens as it comes out of the box and stays there. It’s a helluva lot easier / cheaper to replace ‘lens protector’ filters than mess with expensive lens coatings. Today, I use magnetic mount filters and the “UV” is the screw-in (always on) mag base that other creative filters cling to. The argument about not needing a UV filter with modern digital acquisition and LR/PS post is all very valid. But I’ll live with the degradation, real or imagined, for the peace of mind that my expensive glass is protected.
*Disclaimer: except a couple of fisheyes along the way, and they get super special care because they’re not protected.

I keep a couple of microfiber cloths in my pocket and I'm always wiping off my front lens element. If you were in a place where there was blowing sand, then I would use a blower to get the sand off before I wiped with a cloth to avoid scratching.
I would caution against carrying lens cloths in your pocket, unless they're in a protective case or pouch of some sort. Pockets are great for collecting dust / dirt / sand. I'm probably a little more careful than I need to be, but it's not much more effort keeping lens element wiping cloths absolutely as clean as possible.

I would caution against carrying lens cloths in your pocket, unless they're in a protective case or pouch of some sort. Pockets are great for collecting dust / dirt / sand. I'm probably a little more careful than I need to be, but it's not much more effort keeping lens element wiping cloths absolutely as clean as possible.
Yes, but if you keep the open cloth in your pocket, perhaps the lint and dust would then be captured so it would stop entering into fixed lens pocketable cameras like the Ricoh GR and Panasonic LX100? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, yes, a pocket is not an ideal place for a microfiber cloth.

--Ken

Easy solution - Buy more Chinese accessories. Everything from a lens to a filter down to a plate adaptor arrives with a clear plastic envelope containing a 3”x3” microfibre cloth usually smothered in Chinese calligraphy, but always with an identifiable logo.

Just a note. We have a lot of opinions about the use of filters, filter for protection, UV filters, etc. It's okay for everyone to have their own preferences even if they do not reflect the consensus view or tests by other members.

Just wanted to remind everyone of that so we avoid any arguments about right or wrong approaches. Most participants in the discussion can assess the range of comments and draw a conclusion that is comfortable for their own situation and perceptions.

Back