Lens Cover Recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have used a few of OutdoorPhotographyGear neoprene lens cover and they're pretty good and cheaper than lenscoat.
If not, you can try RolanPro on Aliexpress.
This. I have one of their 200-500 covers which is secured with double sided tape to prevent it from slipping. Their product is nice, and the ends of each piece are stitched to prevent fraying, unlike LensCoat. The only downside is the piece near the mount doesn't allow for the tripod collar to rotate so I leave it off. I've also heard good things about Rolanpro's covers.

It would help to know why you don't like the Lenscoat covers to help decide what cover to recommend. I'd also like to hear what others like about other brands of lens coverings to help me make my choice of which to purchase.

I have used LensCoat coverings for my 500mm and 500mmPF and 600mm lenses. Never had an issue with fraying. I've also used their hoodies for the 14-24. Again...no problems. Perhaps the problems are infrequent on more prominent with usage variations?

It would help to know why you don't like the Lenscoat covers to help decide what cover to recommend. I'd also like to hear what others like about other brands of lens coverings to help me make my choice of which to purchase.
I had a LensCoat on my 200-500 and took it off after a few weeks and replaced it with gun-style camo tape. The primary reason I ditched it was because it added so much additional thickness that the lens would not fit into its case any more without a major struggle. I also did just not like the feel of it, being used to the more positive feel of "naked" lenses. The camo tape is also thin enough that I could wrap the entire lens without inhibiting the full zoom range.

The primary advantage to neoprene-type covers are that their inherent padding does provide good protection against bumps and bruises. The camo tape will protect against scratches, but not against serious bumps. So, you have to decide what is most important in your shooting style, as there are positives and negatives to each product.

Get a printer and make some!

Image from this Petapixel story
5E4BA136-42A5-47BF-847F-36E649EC4EB6.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Looking to get a lens coat style cover for my Sony 600mm

I am not a fan of the Lens Coat brand so I am looking for other recommendations people have.

Thank you.
I wrapped my 600GM and it’s amazing!!! I’ve had all the other types of lens covers and never liked any of them. They add width, weight, typically cover buttons or switches, tend to fray and often get slippery when wet. The neoprene ones trap moisture even if it’s just from humidity. The wrap is simply perfect. None of the issues with the other types. Lots of color options and dead sexy!
C87388AE-985C-4120-95D1-0BAE46DCADC6.jpeg
7C7F58BE-958D-4BA8-A0EC-CCB53C5505A3.jpeg
8F3FDCAD-F23A-41F3-B6D2-31BA986B4856.jpeg

I had Lenscoat covers on several of my big lenses, but after a few years, they started raveling at the ends and moving around so I had to reposition them to see the range window or IS/VR switches. I switched to RolanPro and have to say, even though they are much harder to put on, they stay in place and don't stretch, get lose and ravel after a year or two.

Reactions: Hut
My lens coat on 600 f/4E started having unraveling problems immediate. Lens coat even replaced one section. I like the bump protection of the neoprene ... especially on the lens hood. But as noted by others it covers function buttons and I was debating yesterday whether to just take it off and go with a "naked" lens.
I wrapped my 600GM and it’s amazing!!! I’ve had all the other types of lens covers and never liked any of them. They add width, weight, typically cover buttons or switches, tend to fray and often get slippery when wet. The neoprene ones trap moisture even if it’s just from humidity. The wrap is simply perfect. None of the issues with the other types. Lots of color options and dead sexy!View attachment 31399View attachment 31400View attachment 31401
So is that the name of this wrap on the container ? From what I can make out it is called "life+Gunro" ???

Thank you just pulled it up. Looks good.
Lifeguard Lens skins
Lifeguard Lens skins
Unfortunately it is not available for my Nikon 600 mm f/4E

Last edited:
Back