Lens foot Sony FE 300 F2.8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm not sure but it certainly looks to be using the same mechanism for removing the foot as the smaller lenses have and not the 4 screws like the 400/600GM lenses.
I couldn't find an actual part number for the foot.

When I compare the detailed photos on B&H it looks like it is the foot from the 100-400....shorter than the foot from the 200-600. I don't remember if the 100-400 and 200-600 had the same mounting size or if the 200-600 had a larger mounting plate??

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 6.33.27 AM.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 6.33.20 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 6.34.15 AM.jpg

Just so you all know, super jealous about this lens... Looking forward to seeing photos.
I will start a thread later on this lens. Suffice to say I am blown away by the sharpness. With the 2x teleconverter it is sharper than the 200-600mm at 600mm, and you get a true 600mm. At the moment I cannot see any difference between the 300mm plus the 2x teleconverter and the bare 600mm f4GM. I will continue testing and put something up later.

Testing is on the A1 so a high res sensor to try to test the limits.

I will start a thread later on this lens. Suffice to say I am blown away by the sharpness. With the 2x teleconverter it is sharper than the 200-600mm at 600mm, and you get a true 600mm. At the moment I cannot see any difference between the 300mm plus the 2x teleconverter and the bare 600mm f4GM. I will continue testing and put something up later.

I'm waiting to test an A9iii plus this lens. The A1 isn't comfortable to me. A couple of colleagues (automotive sports) said the same thing.

I'm waiting to test an A9iii plus this lens. The A1 isn't comfortable to me. A couple of colleagues (automotive sports) said the same thing.
I have the A9 III as well as A1 so will definitely try on both cameras with/without converters. I’m literally in a taxi as I just returned from a week in Spain photographing Golden eagle and Wildcat. I used both bodies and really like the A9III despite being only 25mio pixels

I have the A9 III as well as A1 so will definitely try on both cameras with/without converters. I’m literally in a taxi as I just returned from a week in Spain photographing Golden eagle and Wildcat. I used both bodies and really like the A9III despite being only 25mio pixels

The A1 has the features, it's just not comfortable to me. For what I'll shoot with it, less pixels and slightly less dynamic range isn't an issue.

I just took the Sony 300mm out of the box and tried the Ishoot THS18110 replacement foot I use on the 70-200 and it fits. So the original Sony 70-200 lens foot and the one on the 300mm are the same,

Attachments

• IMG_5839.jpeg
    IMG_5839.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I also would like to add: I added the 2x with A9III body and my feeling is is that the AF is really snappy. With A1 still snappy maybe a tad less then with A9III but really I need to go out and try in my local park over the weekend. The lack of weight of the 300 is unbelievable

Last edited:

That sounds very encouraging!
You join the early reviewers that stated that the 300GM takes converters better than any other telephoto lens.
If so, then this is a highly usefull lens to complememt the 600GM, that is fantastic but not always practical.
The 300GM with both converters would be a very versatile package, and f5.6 aperture at 600mm is a very welcome notch above the nowadays standard of f6.3 for non-exotic 600mm lenses, especially when light is not abundant.

On top of that, but that is a personal thing, the 300GM looks incredibly nice.

That sounds very encouraging!
You join the early reviewers that stated that the 300GM takes converters better than any other telephoto lens.
If so, then this is a highly usefull lens to complememt the 600GM, that is fantastic but not always practical.
The 300GM with both converters would be a very versatile package, and f5.6 aperture at 600mm is a very welcome notch above the nowadays standard of f6.3 for non-exotic 600mm lenses, especially when light is not abundant.

On top of that, but that is a personal thing, the 300GM looks incredibly nice.
It is encouraging- so encouraging that I am re-running the test again just to be sure. At the moment I still cannot see any difference between the 300mm plus converter and the native 600mm gm. I have always been disappointed with teleconverters previously but this is changing my mind. The 300mm with converters may well be my walk around combination moving forwards.

I just took the Sony 300mm out of the box and tried the Ishoot THS18110 replacement foot I use on the 70-200 and it fits. So the original Sony 70-200 lens foot and the one on the 300mm are the same,
Thanks. I think both versions of the 70-200 and the 100-400 all use the same foot. So that is good news for 300 owners in that there are already options out there.

It is encouraging- so encouraging that I am re-running the test again just to be sure. At the moment I still cannot see any difference between the 300mm plus converter and the native 600mm gm. I have always been disappointed with teleconverters previously but this is changing my mind. The 300mm with converters may well be my walk around combination moving forwards.
That is great to hear. I've become less and less of a fan of the Sony TCs over the years. I never use my 2x anymore. Even on the 400/2.8GM.
That said, my main gripe with the TCs (even the 1.4) is not in the raw bench test IQ but in the noticeably lower AF hit rate for critically sharp images.
I wonder if the 300GM is any better in that regard?
My friend should be getting his soon so I hope to borrow it and test it on swallows next month with the TCs.

Lately I've been itching to buy a Z8/600PF to add to the gear bag...but if the 300GM/2xTC has a good AF hit rate I may go that route instead.

Lately I've been itching to buy a Z8/600PF to add to the gear bag...but if the 300GM/2xTC has a good AF hit rate I may go that route instead.

It would be a very intersting comparison between the 600PF and the 300GM with 2xTC.
No doubt the razorsharp 600PF will take the prize for resolving power witth ease, but to use it, you not only need to spend €4500 on a Z8, but you also have to be happy shooting it and using the Z8 instead of the A1, and be happy using two systems.
So for me as a Sony user, it is a bit of a dilemma.

The 300GM also has the versatility that the 600PF lacks: e.g. a superb 420mm f4 lens with the 1.4TC, and arguably will have better color. The PF lenses render slightly flat, and if rich color is your preference, I find them a bit austere.
Sure, you can do in post whatever you like, but only up to a certain level and the overall look of the 500PF that I had, was also lacking warm and rich colors in Sony style.
From the samples I have seen so far, the 300GM has great color and contrast, truly GM level.

All in all, however nice the 600PF will no doubt be, I am leaning toward the 300GM with both converters for travel and hiking lightly packed.

I took a nr of images (with tripod) with the 300mm, bare, with 1.4 and 2.0 on a stationary teddy bear in my back garden, clouds, no sun. I want to point out I don’t do anything scientific, I just wanted to see what the files looked like on both A1/A93.

In my opinion the files look great. Sharp, nice contrast . AF is snappy for me with the 2x as well. I’m more then happy to send them to anyone interested through we transfer. In that case send me a private message with email.

Im happy with my choice but of course others might have a different opinion, my reason for getting the 300 is that I fly a lot for my nature photography in Europe and was getting tired of travelling with heavy kit. Besides I do most of my photography from hides where this lens is ideal and a 600mm is simply pretty useless in most circumstances
Rene de Heer
www.naturepics.co.uk

I took a nr of images (with tripod) with the 300mm, bare, with 1.4 and 2.0 on a stationary teddy bear in my back garden, clouds, no sun. I want to point out I don’t do anything scientific, I just wanted to see what the files looked like on both A1/A93.

In my opinion the files look great. Sharp, nice contrast . AF is snappy for me with the 2x as well. I’m more then happy to send them to anyone interested through we transfer. In that case send me a private message with email.

Im happy with my choice but of course others might have a different opinion, my reason for getting the 300 is that I fly a lot for my nature photography in Europe and was getting tired of travelling with heavy kit. Besides I do most of my photography from hides where this lens is ideal and a 600mm is simply pretty useless in most circumstances
Rene de Heer
www.naturepics.co.uk

Your situation resembles mine to a degree. I do most of my birding locally, with peaks during bird migration on the frisian isles, andthe 600GM is the perfect lens for that.
But starting to travel a bit more, I don't enjoy taking such a large and heavy lens along.
I had the 200-600G in the past, but was never happy with the rendering (call it a personal thing) and was hoping Sony would bring a lighter GM lens.

The 300GM unexpectedly may be just what I was hoping for. It is near ideal in versatility, size and weight, and I really like the f5.6 aperture at 600mm, opposed to f6.3
I don't mind if AF is not completely up there with the 600GM, GM style contrast and color are more important for me, and it is good to hear that these are maintained with the TC's.

It would be a very intersting comparison between the 600PF and the 300GM with 2xTC.
No doubt the razorsharp 600PF will take the prize for resolving power witth ease, but to use it, you not only need to spend €4500 on a Z8, but you also have to be happy shooting it and using the Z8 instead of the A1, and be happy using two systems.
So for me as a Sony user, it is a bit of a dilemma.

The 300GM also has the versatility that the 600PF lacks: e.g. a superb 420mm f4 lens with the 1.4TC, and arguably will have better color. The PF lenses render slightly flat, and if rich color is your preference, I find them a bit austere.
Sure, you can do in post whatever you like, but only up to a certain level and the overall look of the 500PF that I had, was also lacking warm and rich colors in Sony style.
From the samples I have seen so far, the 300GM has great color and contrast, truly GM level.

All in all, however nice the 600PF will no doubt be, I am leaning toward the 300GM with both converters for travel and hiking lightly packed.
There is precedent for a bare + tc being as sharp as bare, specifically the Fujifilm 200/2. The lens is as sharp with and without the dedicated (sold with) 1.4x. The catch: it was a perfect lens optically; completely straight line at 1.0 on the MTF for both M and S axis on the 10 cycles/mm.

Rule of thumb has always been for a reduction in contrast/sharpness of about 0.07-0.10 units on the MTF chart for the 1.4x and double that for the 2.0. Thing is, until very recently there weren't many perfect lenses (straight line at 1.0). Now there are, and the rule of thumb doesn't necessarily hold any more.

One of the major reasons for image degradation with the TC is the natural slop in the mounts. I recall that Fuji machined matched mounts for their only white lens. It was a great lens but an overkill because at the time of introduction the bodies couldn't keep up with it.

Back