Lens Manufacturing Process Overview

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whiskeyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I ran across this video on youtube.com yesterday, and found it interesting to watch. It is a bit lengthy, but provides a good overview of how a Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 DGDN lens is manufactured in a Sigma Plant in Japan.

Sigma Lens Making Video

When I was in college, I spent a bit of time as a Manufacturing Engineering Intern, so I find this kind of video entertaining. While I shouldn't be surprised, I was, at the number of hands that are shown touching the components of the lenses as they are fabricated, processed, assembled, tested and packaged in the production facility. Even then, it doesn't show the whole of the process, or of the facilities and equipment required to create the physical product.

It also shows why there are supply issues of some lenses, especially so during the height of the COVID pandemic.

If you choose to watch it, I hope you find it as interesting as I did. And thanks to Sigma for sharing this with us.

Thanks for posting that, makes it obvious why lenses cost what they do. I've always been more fascinated by the engineering that goes into the equipment that makes and assembles the parts than by the end product.

Great video. Thanks. Mfr processing looks very complicated. Wonder what the reject rate is? I know that they are careful, but with all the chances for a minor error, ...

Back