Lens needed in Botswana?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Generally speaking, I would say that having the reach of 600mm is beneficial. Here are some considerations as you work through you decision process:

• Are you restricted to on-road only, or are you able to go off-road? That could impact your distance to subjects.
  • Are you interested in close ups and portraits of animals?
  • Are birds an important subject that you will want to photograph?
  • Does your camera offer enough resolution to crop an image from a 400mm FOV to 600mm FOV and still retain sufficient detail for your intended display method?
  • Would you be comfortable using an extender in dusty conditions with your 400mm lens for the times you need extra reach?
  • Would you consider using a supertelephoto zoom lens such as a 200-600, along with the inherent aperture disadvantage, instead of a 400mm or 600mm prime?

In my case, I decided to leave my primes at home and instead chose to take a 70-200/2.8 and 200-600/6.3. In retrospect, it was absolutely the correct choice for how I shoot and the types of images I wanted to create. In almost three weeks of shooting, there were only two occasions in which I missed having a bright prime. Even then, I didn't miss any shots; just had to shoot at higher ISO than I would have liked to. I shot probably 90% of my images with the 200-600, and most of those at the longer end of the zoom range.

I haven't been to Bostwana but have been "on safari" in Kenya and Tanzania. You would love to have 600mm for small birds. For just about everything else you don't need it in Wild Africa. Like Mitesh suggested, a 1.4x would work with your 400, even if it's an f4.5 and not f2.8. Africa generally has generous lighting.

I've been to Botswana twice. I took my 600mm TC and the 100-400. The 1.4 tele stayed on the 100-400. The 600mm was my most used lens and the built in TC came in handy a LOT. I wouldn't make the trip without my 600mm.

You can view my galleries HERE. After clicking on an image to view it full screen, you can click on the "i" (information) icon in the upper left corner and view the lens and exposure details.

Like most safaris, the animals can be right next to your vehicle or a ways away. So the answer is, IMO, whatever you can handle. When I went to Botswana (it was my first trip to Africa), we were in the midst of a herd of Cape buffalo with a pride of lions surrounding us (they were actually using our vehicle as the hide). However the kill happened a ways away from the herd, so far that when our guide said he got him and I saw the lion hanging from the front of the buffalo, I thought the buffalo had speared the lion. It turned out that a lone lion had jumped on the neck of a buffalo that had wandered away from the herd and was across a small lake (the lion was actually dangling from the buffalo's neck). My 800mm lens would have worked but this was before I had such a lens. So if you can carry your 600mm, I would say to take it. And has been mentioned, the 600mm would be great for birds.

Last edited:
That combo will serve you very well!
Thanks…that’s my normal outing kit anyway…I had the 24-120 in TZ and Rose Perry was the only one that used it so it will stay home. I might take the 180-600 instead of the shorter zoom but weight in Botswana is a bigger deal so likely not, and I did use the short end of the 100-400 some in TZ and I’m afraid that nothing shorter than 180 could be an issue. Two bodies and 2 lenses in the vehicle or boat is clearly the way to go. I did hoist Steve’s 600TC in Tanzania and reconfirmed to myself that I wasn’t interested in something that size and weight…

Thanks…that’s my normal outing kit anyway…I had the 24-120 in TZ and Rose Perry was the only one that used it so it will stay home. I might take the 180-600 instead of the shorter zoom but weight in Botswana is a bigger deal so likely not, and I did use the short end of the 100-400 some in TZ and I’m afraid that nothing shorter than 180 could be an issue. Two bodies and 2 lenses in the vehicle or boat is clearly the way to go. I did hoist Steve’s 600TC in Tanzania and reconfirmed to myself that I wasn’t interested in something that size and weight…
The 600mm TC is what I'm toting....for now. Not sure how much longer, though................. My first trip to Africa I took my 24-70 f2.8........ Only used it at the lodges......the phone is a better, lighter solution! LOL!

The 600mm TC is what I'm toting....for now. Not sure how much longer, though................. My first trip to Africa I took my 24-70 f2.8........ Only used it at the lodges......the phone is a better, lighter solution! LOL!
iPhone for close as well for me. I could afford the exotic lenses but the weight means I would not carry something else and on an outing I look for whatever I get rather than saying I’m only going for great gray owls or whatever…and the lack of flexibility the heavy lens induces combined with the fact that I’m not a pro and my output goes to the travel blog means that the absolutely best IQ, bokeh and all gets overcome by the flexibility provided by the zoom and PF lenses. If I’m going really minimal intake the 180-600 and a single Z8 over the standard 2xZ8, 600PF, and 100-400 combo…at least here in FL and in Africa and CR the latter worked just peachy. If I were going out west again or to India for Snow Leopards where long was the only thing that mattered I would rent an 800 and take the 2 TCs along with probably the 180-600 for flexibility. I have tried numerous times to get my bride to be the Sherpa and she has almost universally refused. She will accept being a tripod but with the better IBIS the Zs have that’s become less needed.

Did my first Africa Safari this year, three weeks total, two in Botswana/Okavango. The 180 - 600 sat in my lap almost the entire time except for some work in a hide and those really close encounters when I would reach for my old reliable D850 and a 24-120. I appreciated the extra reach of the Z 180-600 on birds, leopards in trees, and lion cubs, and the zoom flex was awesome. BTW I was so stoked by this trip that I have fallen in love with the continent and for 2025 will be visiting some off the beaten path places in Tanzania. I have my eyes on another Z8 and a setup like Butlerkid, but that will be another thread. Bottom line, if you already know the 180-600, it’s pros and cons, then I believe you’ll be plenty happy with it on Safari.

I was in Botswana for 3 1/2 weeks in April and May this year. With photo groups. The first part of the trip was in the Kalahari: Makgadikgadi Pans National Park, Dinaka Reserve and Nxai Pan National Park. The second part of the trip was in the Okavango Delta: Moremi Game Reserve, Camp Okavango, Chobe National Park (Savuti) and the Khwai River. Great trip. My first time in Africa.

I brought a Z9 and Z8 for bodies and took the Z 24-120 mm, Z 100-400 mm and Z 400 mm TC for lenses. I also had the two external Z TCs along.

I took an embarrassingly large number of photos. Approximately 2/3s of the photos were taken with the Z 400 mm TC and of those, somewhat more were taken with the internal TC engaged (560 mm at f4 wide open) than without the TC engaged (400 mm f2.8 wide open). I liked the subject separation that I got with the Z 400 mm TC and f2.8 was useful in low light.

About 1/3 of my photos were taken with the Z 100-400, mostly when subject were closer, larger or I wanted more of the environment in my photo. I took a handfull of shots with the Z 24-120.

I think having 600 mm is useful, although for me, the Z 400 mm TC with the internal TC engaged (560 mm, f4) was close enough. The Z9 and Z8 let me crop some as well, whether in camera or in post. One trip participant brought both the Z 400 mm TC and the Z 600 mm TC (with 2 Z9s). I believe she mostly used the Z 400 mm TC.

There are lots of beautiful birds in Botswana. If you enjoy photographing birds, you will likely want more than 400 mm available; but a TC may be enough.

Most days, I had the Z 400 mm TC on the Z9 and the Z 100-400 mm on the Z8, so I did not change lenses in the field.

Circumstances may vary, of course. And the type of photo you want may vary too. I'm planning to go back in 2026 and will likely take the same kit.

Good luck. Botswana is a wonderful place to visit.

Last edited:
I'm going to raise the same question. I go to Botswana in about 5 weeks. I'll be bringing two bodies (D850 and D7500). Weight is a big issue on this trip. As to lens choices:

500 mm PF vs 200-500? Weight vs flexibility.
24-300 F3.5-5.6 vs 24-70 F2.8? Weight and flexibility vs exceptional IQ

I really only want to carry two lenses (except maybe a 50mm F1.4 in case there's astro opportunity).

Thoughts?

I was slightly over the 22kilo limit on our flights and weight wasn’t an issue. Maybe I just hit nice check-in agents those days? But I kept my camera pack on my back for the domestic flight check-ins as my carry-on and they never asked me to weigh it, and I was never weighed on the bush flights. I also went really light on clothing and personals, so it probably helped that I did not look over burdened when checking in. On lens choices, I spent a few days in Botswana riding next to a professional preparing for an up coming client based trip, and she was shooting a 400 and focused on big animals, motion blur with eyes in focus, all sorts of ideas. I learned a bit chatting with her and checked out her site after returning and she had some great images with the big game plenty close, where as me being a totally excited Safari newbie appreciated the flexibility of the big 180-600 zoom to shoot at anything that moved 🤪 For my next trip I am going to focus more on the types of images I want to bring home and the kit for that, and if over weight will do the photo vest trick plus off load a lens into my wife’s non-photo kit. I hope that helps a bit. I found myself struggling with lens choices and over analyzing on this my first trip, but once I landed I was as happy as could be. The only quibble was a couple of low light situations where I wished for a faster lens.

I've been 17 times to Africa, most of them to Botswana and I did also a few photographic tours with Tuskpoto (Wim van den Heever, Brandon Cremer, etc.. - awards wining South African wildlife photographers) and Stefan Tüngler (wildlie photographer from Germany). South African professional photographers had 400/2.8 and 70-200/2.8

But it depends on the location - will you be in a private concession or in a national park and what are you going to do - take pictures of mamals, birds or taking a video?

When we were in a photo tour with Stefan Tüngler in Kwara concession (private) one of a group members had 600/4 and she was suffering a lot! becasue other members had max 500mm or less or had zooms. Guides came close to the animals and we were kidding that she will have a lion-nose picture ;-) but we were kidding in a good way, of course, without offending or something like this. And then we always must to drive away from he animal so that she could take a picture.

So, I would say Z 400/2.8 TC would be the best IMO. But if you stay on he road in the park then 600mm is ok.
For birds 500 PF is great becasue of weight. And you need also 70-200/2.8 becasue you will be shooting in twilight and the animals come close. 70-200 is also good for big mammals and sunsets. If you go a boat cruise, or will do astro- or nightscapes then you need a good wide-angle like 14-24/2.8 or similar (20/1.8).

I'm going to raise the same question. I go to Botswana in about 5 weeks. I'll be bringing two bodies (D850 and D7500). Weight is a big issue on this trip. As to lens choices:

500 mm PF vs 200-500? Weight vs flexibility.
24-300 F3.5-5.6 vs 24-70 F2.8? Weight and flexibility vs exceptional IQ

I really only want to carry two lenses (except maybe a 50mm F1.4 in case there's astro opportunity).
Are you with a Pangolin there? I will be also there in about 5 weeks on a self-drive safaris.
If you take pictures of birds than 500 PF. But then you need something like 70-200 or 300 PF. You really need it! For big mammals and animals close to vehicle. If you cannot get 70-200 or 300PF than take 200-500/5.6.
50/1.4 is too long for astro-photography. You will be on ca. 19 degree latitude, the earth rotation is more pronounced (faster). Here is a page of a Polarie Manual. But Polarie is rotatig with 1/2 speed to compensate the earth rotation and you will be stationary. I can imagine to use 24-70/2.8 for astro / nightscapes on 24mm but not 50mm. Or you should go with ISO up.
1724228857519.png

24-300 is from Tamron? Hmm.. I don't know such lens... is not 28-300 from Nikon?
24-300 is versatile and makes a good pair with 500 PF or 200-500 zoom. If it is 28-300 FX from Nikon than it is a very good lens for landscapes and animals...
You need also to have two bodies: one for 500PF /200-500 and one for 24-300. Sure, with zooms you cover all focal lenght. To be honest I would take all of them. Becasue of redundancy, to be on a safe side.

This diagram summarizes the Greater Nikon System for telephotos, and this schematic scopes out how the relationship between subject sizes and framing at distance is constrained by magnification across distances out to 100m

The Minimum Destination Kit in this case is 2 cameras with redundant coverage of core telephoto focal lengths (70/180/200-500/600) for backup primarily against damage, gear failures. A compact lighter Nikon Kits can include:
D500/D850 + 70-200 f2.8, 300 PF, 500 PF or 200-500, with a pair light primes: 50mm and Uwide; my choice in Fmount is the 18-35 G and 58 f1.4G
Z8/Z6 III + same lenses [listed in the line above] or 100-400 S, 180-600. And the improved Z Mount options offerings include 14-30 f4S, 24-120 f4S or the f2.8 Triad of Economy Dragons, including 70-180 f2.8 which packs in a near-Macro performance for close ups

The Kit also depend on personal style and interests: animalscapes [24-120/70-200], tight portraits [600/800mm and more], as well as landscapes/nightscapes. My Destination Kit is 180-400 TC14E and 800 PF and 800E as the core African mammal lenses (also works well for birds) on D6 and Z9. And I carry the external TC14's (F and Z) everywhere.

These questions about wildlife gear for African savanna habitats have been discussed in depth here.

Last edited:
I did mis-speak (miss type). Its a now discontinued Nikon 28-300.

So, to stay within my size/weight limit, I planning on bringing two bodies (D7500, D850) and two lenses, the 500PF and the 28-300. While not optimal, is this reasonable? I could obtain a 1.4TC as this wouldn't add much weight if it would help.

I did mis-speak (miss type). Its a now discontinued Nikon 28-300.

So, to stay within my size/weight limit, I planning on bringing two bodies (D7500, D850) and two lenses, the 500PF and the 28-300. While not optimal, is this reasonable? I could obtain a 1.4TC as this wouldn't add much weight if it would help.
Assuming the 28-300mm is a FX lens, would you put it on the D850? Sounds to me that you should be in great shape. Personally I am not a big fan of "mega-zoom" lenses like the 28-300mm, but some people don't want to leave any focal length unfilled. So no one answer but think your two bodies and two lenses make a nice combo.
PS. My preferred smaller zoom is the 70-200mm and use my phone for closer animals.

Yes, the 28-300 is a FX lens. I do agree that the "super zooms" are less than ideal, trying to be everything to everyone. They're like all-weather tires, which to car enthusiasts are really no-weather tires.

I plan on mixing and matching the two lenses and the two bodies to cover a wide focal length range. This is not a photographic safari, so I need to compromise for portability. Thanks to all for the input.

This is not a photographic safari,
a good choice then! Nikon 28-300 is a very good lens, I have it, too. and I saw pictures taken with this lens which won contests. The lens has deep colours, 3D and microcontrast. Perhaps, the lens is not so sharp as new Z lens, but it has a character, it is not like Tamron zooms but better. At the end it is a photographer who is making an image.

The 28-300 G will indeed deliver. The legend who is Jay Maisel swore by this super zoom for street photography. He used it on the Nikon D3 at high ISOs.

It's quite similar to Nikon's DX 18-200 G that was popular on DX DSLRs

Back