Lens needed in Botswana?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

On a safari to Botswana, do you need the reach of a 600 or will 400 do? The 600 is big to pack so it would be easier without it.
Been many times. I started with 400mm, next time 600mm, ended up buying 800mm. 600mm minimum if you are going to be happy and not have to crop. Never been happier than having 2 bodies with a 600 mm and 800 mm. So many opportunities you don’t want to miss them….

Been many times. I started with 400mm, next time 600mm, ended up buying 800mm. 600mm minimum if you are going to be happy and not have to crop. Never been happier than having 2 bodies with a 600 mm and 800 mm. So many opportunities you don’t want to miss them….
Also to add, weight restrictions are ever present but it’s worth being a pack horse to get the results

Not much to add to all the excellent advice. I have been to Botswana and many other African safari destinations. I mainly shoot the mammals and have found the combo of 70-200 f2.8 and 400 f2.8 the best combination. I do find the aperture very useful at dawn and dusk.

Back