Lens recommendations for Tetons and Yellowstone for wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've been out to Yellowstone -Grand Teton Parks four times and I would recommend two cameras. One with a long lens permanently attached to a tripod if you're taking a SUV and can do so. You'll have a lot of encounters when you want to jump out of the car and start shooting. You'll also have a lot of up close encounters some right next to your car as your driving and that's why you need your 100-400 mounted to a second camera. These encounters happen fast and you have to be prepared.
Agreed, though I might add that if you have the strength and technique to hand-hold your long prime, that's far preferable. I can't count the situations I've been in where a tripod would have severely limited the photos I was able to get.

I've been out to Yellowstone -Grand Teton Parks four times and I would recommend two cameras. One with a long lens permanently attached to a tripod if you're taking a SUV and can do so. You'll have a lot of encounters when you want to jump out of the car and start shooting. You'll also have a lot of up close encounters some right next to your car as you’re driving and that's why you need your 100-400 mounted to a second camera. These encounters happen fast and you have to be prepared.
Agreed. I failed to mention in my comments that i use two Z9 cameras. One I use on the 800 which is also on a light carbon fiber tripod that I keep in the back of the 4Runner and the 180-600 is on the other that is on the front seat of the car. The 800 is connected to the tripod with a Really Right Stuff quick lever release so if I decide I need to go hand held I just flip the lever and it’s free.The strap I use is a military style one with QD attachment that I continuously wear and which quickly connects and disconnects to the lens foot with just a click of the connector. And I should mention bear spray is essential. For safety you need to wear it where you’ll have immediate access. I wear a binocular holder and pouch for bear spray in a combination chest pack and I’d recommend something similar. it’s also a great place to hang a radio if you have access to the wolf channel where folks share animal location information when they feel charitable. My 400 and 600 sit in the back compartment and because of the RRS quick lever release changing out the 800 on the tripod takes only seconds. It sounds like overkill, but once you miss a shot because you didn’t carry the full arsenal, you’d quickly change your mind.

Agreed. I failed to mention in my comments that i use two Z9 cameras. One I use on the 800 which is also on a light carbon fiber tripod that I keep in the back of the 4Runner and the 180-600 is on the other that is on the front seat of the car. The 800 is connected to the tripod with a Really Right Stuff quick lever release so if I decide I need to go hand held I just flip the lever and it’s free.The strap I use is a military style one with QD attachment that I continuously wear and which quickly connects and disconnects to the lens foot with just a click of the connector. And I should mention bear spray is essential. For safety you need to wear it where you’ll have immediate access. I wear a binocular holder and pouch for bear spray in a combination chest pack and I’d recommend something similar. it’s also a great place to hang a radio if you have access to the wolf channel where folks share animal location information when they feel charitable. My 400 and 600 sit in the back compartment and because of the RRS quick lever release changing out the 800 on the tripod takes only seconds. It sounds like overkill, but once you miss a shot because you didn’t carry the full arsenal, you’d quickly change your mind.

I have the same setup for my bear spray, hooked to my bino case right on my chest where I can get at it easy.

Agreed, though I might add that if you have the strength and technique to hand-hold your long prime, that's far preferable. I can't count the situations I've been in where a tripod would have severely limited the photos I was able to get.
I agree with you that there are plenty of times when a tripod would limit a photo opportunity and a person has to go handheld or rely on a monopod. I’m thinking primarily slogging through the sage fields, woods, and river near Gros Ventre when looking for moose in the Tetons or following an animal along a road or field as it moves along. But, respectfully, using a high resolution camera in those situations in lower light, mornings and evenings, or just shade, means shooting at higher shutter speeds even with excellent technique, and that translates into higher ISOs, more noise, lost dynamic range, and lost detail. So, while I agree with you generally, and in those cases rely on my 180-600 vice the 800 or 600, I do whatever I can, and recommend, bringing a light carbon fiber tripod or monopod along with me whenever possible, and if absolutely necessary relying on a solid tree.

According to @Steve, with today‘s high resolution cameras, the hand held reciprocal rule (shooting at a shutter speed equal to the reciprocal of the focal length of the lens) is out the window and more nearly twice the reciprocal rule is required for an acceptably sharp photo. So with a 600 mm lens handheld, the recommended shutter speed, especially when chasing a subject and either excited or out of breath or both, with proper technique is 1/1200 sec or more. With an 800 mm lens the minimum recommended shutter speed is 1/1600 sec. On a tripod or monopod I can bring that shutter speed down to half, or less, saving at least two stops of ISO and more if I have time to shoot a series of shots at ever decreasing shutter speeds and relying on the law of averages.

So, while I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just emphasizing going handheld with the long prime should be a last ditch solution and not a first choice.

I agree with you that there are plenty of times when a tripod would limit a photo opportunity and a person has to go handheld or rely on a monopod. I’m thinking primarily slogging through the sage fields, woods, and river near Gros Ventre when looking for moose in the Tetons or following an animal along a road or field as it moves along. But, respectfully, using a high resolution camera in those situations in lower light, mornings and evenings, or just shade, means shooting at higher shutter speeds even with excellent technique, and that translates into higher ISOs, more noise, lost dynamic range, and lost detail. So, while I agree with you generally, and in those cases rely on my 180-600 vice the 800 or 600, I do whatever I can, and recommend, bringing a light carbon fiber tripod or monopod along with me whenever possible, and if absolutely necessary relying on a solid tree.

According to @Steve, with today‘s high resolution cameras, the hand held reciprocal rule (shooting at a shutter speed equal to the reciprocal of the focal length of the lens) is out the window and more nearly twice the reciprocal rule is required for an acceptably sharp photo. So with a 600 mm lens handheld, the recommended shutter speed, especially when chasing a subject and either excited or out of breath or both, with proper technique is 1/1200 sec or more. With an 800 mm lens the minimum recommended shutter speed is 1/1600 sec. On a tripod or monopod I can bring that shutter speed down to half, or less, saving at least two stops of ISO and more if I have time to shoot a series of shots at ever decreasing shutter speeds and relying on the law of averages.

So, while I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just emphasizing going handheld with the long prime should be a last ditch solution and not a first choice.

I would think that modern IS systems more than cancel out the higher resolution sensors.

I would think that modern IS systems more than cancel out the higher resolution sensors.
They definitely help, but my experience post processing my work is the higher recommended shutter speeds when hand holding really helps getting those tack sharp shots. I’ve shot both ways, with and without IBIS, and there is real improvement with IBIS, but @SteveS recommendations still apply at least for me.

They definitely help, but my experience post processing my work is the higher recommended shutter speeds when hand holding really helps getting those tack sharp shots. I’ve shot both ways, with and without IBIS, and there is real improvement with IBIS, but @SteveS recommendations still apply at least for me.

I shoot both ways with my 600f4 and 1.4X TC and it's difficult to tell the difference.

I'm not a Nikon guy. How do the IQ and focus speed compare on the 100-400 vs the 180-600?
@Steve did a comparison of these lenses and if I remember correctly also the new 600. That’s the best place to go. He did a video on it some months back that was very good. I suggest that because my views on the 100-400 and 180-600 are limited to my field observations and just the two lenses I own. I have never done any rigorous testing. My impressions were that my 180-600 was at least as sharp at 600mm as the 100-400 was at 400mm, but the 100-400 did not take a 1.4 TC as well as the 180-600. I did not notice any meaningful difference in focus speed. Because of the distances in Yellowstone and the fact that I was going to use the 800, going with the 180-600 over the 100-400 was an easy decision. But I certainly would not rely on my observations and would definitely look at Steve’s video! I do remember being disappointed with the 100-400 performance overall after viewing his video. But, as I’ve said before, these differences are only by small degrees and I doubt have real field significance especially since much can be corrected in Lightroom and Topaz Denoise.

@Steve did a comparison of these lenses and if I remember correctly also the new 600. That’s the best place to go. He did a video on it some months back that was very good. I suggest that because my views on the 100-400 and 180-600 are limited to my field observations and just the two lenses I own. I have never done any rigorous testing. My impressions were that my 180-600 was at least as sharp at 600mm as the 100-400 was at 400mm, but the 100-400 did not take a 1.4 TC as well as the 180-600. I did not notice any meaningful difference in focus speed. Because of the distances in Yellowstone and the fact that I was going to use the 800, going with the 180-600 over the 100-400 was an easy decision. But I certainly would not rely on my observations and would definitely look at Steve’s video! I do remember being disappointed with the 100-400 performance overall after viewing his video. But, as I’ve said before, these differences are only by small degrees and I doubt have real field significance especially since much can be corrected in Lightroom and Topaz Denoise.

If the differences are that small and even assuming the 100-400 isn't bad, if I were the OP, I'd go with the 180-600 rather than the 100-400.

I can tell the difference between photos taken with 400 and 600 and the 180-600 and the 800.The 400 and 600 are truly superbly sharp and produce an incredible bokeh and great detail in the proper light. The 800, particularly because I’ve got the 1.4 almost permanently attached, is slightly less sharp with a less pleasing bokeh particularly when the background is close to the subject. but it’s a great lens that I don’t hesitate to use and expect it will produce great results assuming good light and little to no atmospherics. I use it 95% of the time on a tripod and only hand hold it in extreme circumstances when there’s no time to set up and a possible great shot is developing in front of me. Until recently I almost exclusively shot the 180-600 hand held but now, whenever I can, I’ll use a tripod or monopod because I really want the lowest shutter speeds I can get away with for the decreased ISOs, the least noise, and all that comes with that. It’s not as sharp as the 400 or 600, and it’s perhaps on a par with the 800, but it’s my go to lens when the wildlife gets close or I just don’t have the time to break out the 800. Having said all that, I’m talking about differences in only small degrees and there is little that can’t be fixed, if anything, in Lightroom or Topaz Denoise. My 180-600 is sharper in my opinion than my 100-400, which I hardly use since getting the 180-600. Any way, these are just my opinions based upon my observations with these particular lenses in the field. I have not done any rigorous testing. Others likely have different views.
Paul, It was very kind of you to elaborate on the merits of the 400mm and 600mm primes vs the 180-600mm.
I don't do lens testing using targets - only evaluate on a 4k monitor or a print made on my Canon PRO 4000.
Right now I will use the 180-600mm and save my $$$ for a 600mm. I may have to sell some medium format equipment that I am no longer using.
Last time I used Ebay, the fees were ridiculous and they hold your money for a long time because of the dishonest sellers on there.
Fred Miranda is much safer, but there are thieves that manage to rip people off on there as well.
Many thanks!
Mike

I've been out to Yellowstone -Grand Teton Parks four times and I would recommend two cameras. One with a long lens permanently attached to a tripod if you're taking a SUV and can do so. You'll have a lot of encounters when you want to jump out of the car and start shooting. You'll also have a lot of up close encounters some right next to your car as your driving and that's why you need your 100-400 mounted to a second camera. These encounters happen fast and you have to be prepared.
Jim, excellent ideas!
Mike

But you asked about Yellowstone. You could be set up waiting for the grizzly to turn the corner for an hour. Are you going to hand hold your lens that long? Unless you want a card full of rear end shots you have to predict where the animal is heading and jump in your car and head him off and wait for him. Although they move fast there is long wait times and don't forget the rules are at least 1000' away. So your shooting at a distance, and probably need the tripod. If sharp photos are your end game. So again, I recommend the camera with the long lens mounted to the tripod carried with the legs extended in the back of the SUV. Shooting wildlife at Yellowstone is like a what we used to call a Chinese fire drill the driver spots an animal and quickly and I mean quickly pulls the car over to the side of the road and everyone jumps out and sets up to shoot. You will typically be fighting for space with at least 15-20 other vehicles who got there ahead of you especially if it's a grizzly bear. And lastly, you're going to need your strength you refer to. Most shooters start the day before sunrise so that's before 5am and don't end it until after dark and that's after around 6 pm. It will be cold so that wears on you. So be prepared.

But you asked about Yellowstone. You could be set up waiting for the grizzly to turn the corner for an hour. Are you going to hand hold your lens that long? Unless you want a card full of rear end shots you have to predict where the animal is heading and jump in your car and head him off and wait for him. Although they move fast there is long wait times and don't forget the rules are at least 1000' away. So your shooting at a distance, and probably need the tripod. If sharp photos are your end game. So again, I recommend the camera with the long lens mounted to the tripod carried with the legs extended in the back of the SUV. Shooting wildlife at Yellowstone is like a what we used to call a Chinese fire drill the driver spots an animal and quickly and I mean quickly pulls the car over to the side of the road and everyone jumps out and sets up to shoot. You will typically be fighting for space with at least 15-20 other vehicles who got there ahead of you especially if it's a grizzly bear. And lastly, you're going to need your strength you refer to. Most shooters start the day before sunrise so that's before 5am and don't end it until after dark and that's after around 6 pm. It will be cold so that wears on you. So be prepared.

I didn't ask about Yellowstone. I answered someone else's question about Yellowstone.

Sounds like a nice setup. I use a QD attachment as a backup to my walk around Blackrapid harness connection for my 180-600mm or any lens I mount to the camera. My heavy tripod, the one I would take to Yellowstone, has a Wimberley Gimbal head on it. And as far as I know I can't mount a RRS quick release lever to it. I have their ball head and changed that out to the quick release not to long ago. If you know something I don't I would appreciate the heads up. But anyway, I would recommend that a newbie stay to the main roads and don't carry bear spray that way they don't take the chance of getting anywhere near any bears. Stay to the main roads there is plenty to do there.

Sounds like a nice setup. I use a QD attachment as a backup to my walk around Blackrapid harness connection for my 180-600mm or any lens I mount to the camera. My heavy tripod, the one I would take to Yellowstone, has a Wimberley Gimbal head on it. And as far as I know I can't mount a RRS quick release lever to it. I have their ball head and changed that out to the quick release not to long ago. If you know something I don't I would appreciate the heads up. But anyway, I would recommend that a newbie stay to the main roads and don't carry bear spray that way they don't take the chance of getting anywhere near any bears. Stay to the main roads there is plenty to do there.
I have a leveling base on my tripod and RRS quick release lever mount connected to that which locks down my Wimberley gimbal head. I can switch out the gimbal head for my fluid head in seconds. I also replaced the Wimberly arm with one by RRS that takes a lever release upon which to mount a lens foot.

Respectfully, I would never recommend to anyone to NOT carry bear spray anywhere in the park. I’ve met bears on the roads, on the Jackson Lake bridge walkway, and on boardwalks loaded with people. It’s an indispensable tool to carry and I even carry it in the middle of the winter.

To address your points, I know about all that stuff as I've been coming to Yellowstone every year since 2006, multiple times a year, and now live a half hour from Cody so I go frequently when the East Entrance is open. And I reiterate, if you have the strength to hand-hold, you'll get more chances at better photos. Like this one, hand-held with a 500 f4 and a 1.4X TC.
War Face May 16.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

FWIW, those shutter numbers seem extremely overkill. I can pretty much guarantee sharp images at 1/100 handheld with the Z9 + 400TC combo. Very few of my images are ever 1/1200 or faster, even when using the 800PF with or without TC.

I'm with Rik on this one. I miss far more shots trying to mess with tripods than I do by handholding.

Out of curiosity though - which lightweight tripod do you use with your lenses? I've got a Promedia TR344L34 which is an absolute beast at 4.3lbs. add my Leofoto PG-1 head and I'm at a 6.5lb setup which is a PITA.

Last edited:
FWIW, those shutter numbers seem extremely overkill. I can pretty much guarantee sharp images at 1/100 handheld with the Z9 + 400TC combo. Very few of my images are ever 1/1200 or faster, even when using the 800PF with or without TC.

Out of curiosity though - which lightweight tripod do you use with your lenses? I've got a Promedia TR344L34 which is an absolute beast at 4.3lbs. add my Leofoto PG-1 head and I'm at a 6.5lb setup which is a PITA.

I'm with Rik on this one. I miss far more shots trying to mess with tripods than I do by handholding.
The numbers I provided were the ones @Steve Perry recommends in his books with high resolution cameras and long lenses and relates to obtaining tack sharp photos at 1:1 and acceptable ISOs. My personal experience shooting nearly every day for the last year at long distances in Yellowstone suggests that Steve is correct at least in my case. He does acknowledge that everyone is different and some do better than others. Everyone is different. If you can do that routinely hand held that’s great. I use a tripod as often as possible because I concentrate on attempting to capture extreme detail but I do not rely exclusively on it and if I think I’ll lose a shot I’ll go handheld, but otherwise I’m on a tripod or monopod and I haven’t lost many shot opportunities because of it, though that happens to everyone. It’s simply a matter of choice.

I have two tripods and a monopod. The tripods are from RRS and one is a Leophoto. The monopod is a Surui. I’m out of town at the moment so I can’t give you model numbers.

To address your points, I know about all that stuff as I've been coming to Yellowstone every year since 2006, multiple times a year, and now live a half hour from Cody so I go frequently when the East Entrance is open. And I reiterate, if you have the strength to hand-hold, you'll get more chances at better photos. Like this one, hand-held with a 500 f4 and a 1.4X TC.
View attachment 88000
That's a great shot. I assume that you captured it while hiking and not off the road. In that case a tripod would be a burden.

Back