lens rental advise?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Borrow Lenses
Mostly because I live near them and can pick it up there. Have also had them ship an 800mm f/5.6 to a location where I was doing a photo trip (Yellowstone) without any problems (they shipped it to the FedEx store in Bozeman) and I picked it up when I flew in (saved me from dealing with taking it on the plane).

Decade ago now or so, but I rented from Vistek (a national photo/video retailer in Canada) and it went well despite my terror at dropping the lens :) It was very cheap as I recall for the entire weekend.

I have rented from three different companies and I go with the one that charges the least in terms of the rental, insurance, and shipping, for the period I want. One place may be cheaper for a 5-day rental period but more expensive for a 2-week rental.
Don't know about the others, but since I am signed up with Borrow Lenses they periodically send me deals of various percent off on rentals. So it depends if Rich is flexible about when he wants the lens versus a specific time period.

Don't know about the others, but since I am signed up with Borrow Lenses they periodically send me deals of various percent off on rentals. So it depends if Rich is flexible about when he wants the lens versus a specific time period.
I need the lens for a trip. Dates are set.

I second (or is it third now?) lensrentals.com. I've rented lenses from them on a few occasions, they are always incredibly well packed (lenses inside individual lens cases inside a hard-side Pelican-type case, inside a cardboard shipping box), plus they include a prepaid return label. Maybe others do as well, but they're the first ones I rented from, and the experience was good enough I haven't tried other places.

My only negative is that I rent a lens, use it, return it...then end up buying one of my own!

As others, I use LensRentals.com. In fact, I have an item from them now (Z7ii with 400 f4.5) that I will return tomorrow afternoon. Not only are they very well organized (they even include packing tape for the return shipment), but they have a sense of humor. I have rented many times and only had an issue one time - the lens was soft at infinity focus. When I sent it back they tested it and confirmed this was an issue needing repair and they refunded my rental fee.

As others, I use LensRentals.com. In fact, I have an item from them now (Z7ii with 400 f4.5) that I will return tomorrow afternoon. Not only are they very well organized (they even include packing tape for the return shipment), but they have a sense of humor. I have rented many times and only had an issue one time - the lens was soft at infinity focus. When I sent it back they tested it and confirmed this was an issue needing repair and they refunded my rental fee.
Good to hear that they treat customers right. However if a defective lens arrive, then there is another problem, what to use for your shoot.

You fellas in the USA and Canada are spoiled for choice. Lens rental in Australia is pretty much limited up to about 70-200 mm with a few odd 200-500s and 150-600 sigmas. Nikon Z 70-200 is up to $199 per day. A Nikon Z7II is over $250 per day. By the time you add shipping and insurance it’s a pretty expensive couple of days.

Good to hear that they treat customers right. However if a defective lens arrive, then there is another problem, what to use for your shoot.
Yes, but I think that is a gamble with any rental company. Considering it has only happened to me once out of roughly ten rentals, the odds are good. So many people use this gear that I am afraid it is impossible for the rental company to test for everything.

BTW when I use the Chrome web browser to get to LensRentals.com the browser automatically searches for online coupons to apply to my shopping cart. It saved me just over $62 on my current rental.

Although I have only one rental I've done, LensRentals was excellent. They test each lens when it comes back from a rental to make sure it's not damaged but to also bring it back up to spec.

But additionally, they have some of the best lens testing equipment anywhere, and (at times) document the results in detail, although this has fallen to the wayside lately, not being their top priority. It would be great to have some of this level of comparison testing with the current crop of lenses: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/11/nikon-70-200mm-f2-8e-fl-ed-af-s-vr-mtf-tests/

Cheers!

I have rented from Borrow Lenses and Lens Rentals and both have worked smoothly. I usually compare total price for the rental between several companies before renting.

If I’m renting before a trip out of town I’ll schedule the rental delivery 2-3 business days before I leave. That way I have time to test the lens to make sure it works as expected. And most importantly have time to contact LensRentals for a replacement if necessary. Although I’ve never had to do that. For me the peace of mind is worth the extra cost. LensRentals will also deliver to a FedEx office. I’m at work during the day and not at home to sign for the delivery. They will also deliver to a domestic destination so you can avoid dragging the lens with you in transit. I also agree with @MrFotoFool above. Love the sense of humor.

no problem with either lensrentals and borrow lenses. however, if you are trying to do this for something on a schedule be careful about the shipping. i would pick ups over fedex and i would ship to receive it several days before you actually need the gear and i’d have it shipped to a ups (or fedex) office instead of your home since if they are late you are stuck home waiting for an indefinite amount of time. also, monitor the shipment and at the first sign it’s not on track, CALL (as in telephone) the rental place as they have more ability to interact with the shipper and they can also make other adjustments. beware of storms and other things that might interfere with your shipping. and make a plan b. good luck!

Lensrentals. Have used a number of times for both lenses and bodies. Usually have set up with pick up at local FedEx. Always has been smooth and trouble free.

Yes, have used borrowlenses.com several times. Going to use lensrental.com today for a trip in April as I have a coupon for them. Never had a problem.

Back