Lightroom SLIM Method by Scott Kelby - Video and Notes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
If you are interested, in comparing your methodology to Scott's Simplified Lightroom Image Management, he did a B&H Lecture and has a download of the notes from his method.

I thought his section on Collections is interesting to consider. For a shoot he makes a sub collection of Full Shoot, Picks (what most people would use star ratings for) and Selects. In considering this I think it would be easy to do. I like his presentations in general.

He mentions that Adobe now suggests people only have one Catalog.
He organizes by type of shooting not date, such as Wildlife. He suggests changing everything (images, folders etc) to descriptive names. I am sort of doing a combo, years with descriptive names. He suggests that instead of me having 2023>Portugal that I have Travel>Portugal>2023. In case I go again, or in the case of something familiar here it would be returning to the same location to shoot. He notes that Lightroom already has date organization built in.

The presentation may spark you to think about your process. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
He’s a pretty good speaker very Steve like actually…and I’m glad I spent that hour. Going to think on it and see what of those ideas i want to incorporate . I’ve been using no star, 1 star for keepers, and 2 stars for edited and published but full, picks, select, and published instead of stars make ps sense…although since I don’t quibble over star level a 1 star is the equivalent of a Select…but doing the double cull to get the ones to edit is a good idea. Sounds like a good idea to try on our UK trip.I kinda wonder about the renaming thing though…I do rename on import now with date, body, location and sequence number…but to be honest I did that so I could tell what body was used but since I started it I’ve never actually used that ability and could easily sort to find them if needed. And the date comes back to the folder I store them in…I use year, then location folders, then dates if I revisit the same location that year. But…renaming say the 700 files I got today while importing seems like it would be tedious, although I will give it a try on our upcoming trip to test. I use keywords to sort when needed but there might be some validity in using folders based on subject matter like he does then locations and dates of needed. I will have to test and see if creating a collection durin* import is possible or 8& it’s a separate step.

Last edited:
Since I just started last year I modified my top level to align with the type of shots. I do see some overlap as most of my Travel includes some Landscapes or Wildlife. Not sure how I will handle that but I think it will work out better. Also started doing multiple imports from the same folder when appropriate. For example this morning I shot both bees on a Saguaro and a male Cardinal. We will see how this goes.

I do see some overlap as most of my Travel includes some Landscapes or Wildlife. Not sure how I will handle that
That's the beauty of LR Collections. The same stored image file can be added to multiple Collections and it doesn't create multiple copies of the image, just multiple ways to get to the same image file.

So if you travel and have images in a trip Collection, you could also have some of those same images added to say a landscape Collection or a sunset Collection or to various wildlife Collections and that wouldn't create multiple copies of the image and take up a bunch of extra drive space it just creates various groupings of images by different genres and ways to access the actual image files.

Collections are very powerful but take a different way of thinking than the Folder or Directory approaches most of us are accustomed to from working with files on computers. The actual images reside in folders/directories somewhere in your storage but Collections allow multiple ways to access those files and the same file can be added to many different Collections as you see fit.

That's the beauty of LR Collections. The same stored image file can be added to multiple Collections and it doesn't create multiple copies of the image, just multiple ways to get to the same image file.

So if you travel and have images in a trip Collection, you could also have some of those same images added to say a landscape Collection or a sunset Collection or to various wildlife Collections and that wouldn't create multiple copies of the image and take up a bunch of extra drive space it just creates various groupings of images by different genres and ways to access the actual image files.

Collections are very powerful but take a different way of thinking than the Folder or Directory approaches most of us are accustomed to from working with files on computers. The actual images reside in folders/directories somewhere in your storage but Collections allow multiple ways to access those files and the same file can be added to many different Collections as you see fit.
Yes I have many collections and the are great for this. I still have to decide where to put the images and name them on Import. I’ll probably leave all the images with the main event. So landscapes from Travel will stay in the travel folder and be found in Collections.

Back