Lightweight backcountry tripod for big prime lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

How do you plan on using the tripod in the field? If you're going camping, would you already have a chair? Something to consider is that if you're going to be stationary for quite a while, it might be easier to set up a chair + tripod at a much lower height than you would be standing. And with a lower height, you may be able to effectively support a heavy lens with a lighter weight tripod than usual, by only extending the strongest portions of the legs. Shooting waterfowl and shorebirds a few months ago, I was using my Peak Design travel tripod at the second lowest setting while sitting on the ground. Not glamorous, but extremely lightweight and portable.

There is no substitute for a sturdy tripod with a gimbal head. The Jobu Jr. is a good lightweight option.

For tripods any non-full size tripod will be a compromise. You can stabilize a lightweight tripod by hanging weight under it. Your pack may be an ideal weight to use.

A 7-lb lens on a multi-day hiking & camping trip, unless there are some other arrangments, ie. hired sherpa or motorized transportation, that much weight is a non-starter. I would look at other options such as Sony RX-10 or Sony RX-100, just to be on the safe side.

Oliver

Back