Lignum Vitae

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
These are the flowers of the Lignum Vitae tree. They are the national flower of Jamaica and the national tree of the Bahamas. The wood is highly prized and significantly heavier than water - it sinks! They are an oily wood and self lubricating when used in certain applications. The wood was used in bearings for the orignal nuclear submarine - USS Nautilus, though now displaced by composites in those uses. Now the wood is used mostly for art and carvings as the trees have been over harvested.

The buds and newly opened flowers can have a deep blue, almost purplish dolor. As the flowers open they quicly fade to white over a few days and leave behind a seed pod. They were one of my favorite subjects for photography. The last shot is my favorite, but requires extensive rework to be "presentable".

LVitae01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

LVitae02.jpg

LVitae03.jpg

LVitae06.jpg

I knew about lignum vitae wood, but had never seen the flowers. Beautiful. very Nice photos. I like the last one best. i have a hand plane with a lignum vitae sole.

Reactions: JAS
Beautiful Joe. Although I agree with you about #4 being excellent, composition-wise #1 takes the crown for my taste of living in the frame - I just think it rocks!

Reactions: JAS
Back