Lilac Breasted Roller sunrise

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Aweh! What happens when the sun is rising, and your model is too dark and too far for flash? Sitting on a nice perch too. Settle for a silhouette of the model and shoot the dawn.
Kruger NP
03269W D850 5456.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Well done Callie!…. f/13 at 1/500th sec and the iso only 1400? It worked. Did you try other settings?

Thank you, Steven
Well done Callie!…. f/13 at 1/500th sec and the iso only 1400? It worked. Did you try other settings?
Thanks, Larry.
Actually, I must have. When the light is so low as here (05:52 in March, so autumn has started) I just start shooting and peep at the viewfinder. Then I may change from Auto ISO to just the ISO I dial in, if required. Sometimes the ss wont work and that is when the EV gets turned down. The aperture had to be small for both the FG and BG to be in focus. It is trial and error. I always check the viewfinder until the image appears sort of OK - I never look at the histogram. What I mean is that I know that I can salvage/fix a dark image in Photoshop so I am not too worried about underexposure. I find it works best for me. I guess my answer is - I do set the settings on gut and play with them until it looks right.

Thank you, Steven

Thanks, Larry.
Actually, I must have. When the light is so low as here (05:52 in March, so autumn has started) I just start shooting and peep at the viewfinder. Then I may change from Auto ISO to just the ISO I dial in, if required. Sometimes the ss wont work and that is when the EV gets turned down. The aperture had to be small for both the FG and BG to be in focus. It is trial and error. I always check the viewfinder until the image appears sort of OK - I never look at the histogram. What I mean is that I know that I can salvage/fix a dark image in Photoshop so I am not too worried about underexposure. I find it works best for me. I guess my answer is - I do set the settings on gut and play with them until it looks right.
Again…very well done!

Back