Little Guys with the 600 mm f/6.3 PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

M R Opp

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have had a few days out with the 600 mm, but now with the holiday I have been able to spend more time with this lens. I have to say that this lens really fits my need for a travel / hiking wildlife super-telephoto lens. I flew from my home in CO to the PNW for the holiday with a Z8, Z9, 600 mm PF, and 100-400 mm zoom + 1.4 TC all in the Thinktank Mindshift 18L pack. Great travel kit! I was out with the 600 in a canopy that was quite dark. These three images are examples of the performance of the 600 mm on the Z9. I did use denoise in LR on the kinglet and chickadee as the ISOs were all high. None of these images are cropped. I love this lens + Z9 combo!

Chestnut-backed Chickadee

NZ9_3051-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Golden-crowned Kinglet

NZ9_2627-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon group)

NZ9_1114.jpg

Last edited:
Have been thinking of getting Mindshift 18L bag for my D500, Z8, 500mm PF and 80-400mm for wildlife shoots. Interested to know how you packed your kit given that lens and body sizes (except Z9) are pretty similar. Are the bodies attached to the lenses or are they unmounted ? Did you have to put one of the bodies in the front pocket ?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Have been thinking of getting Mindshift 18L bag for my D500, Z8, 500mm PF and 80-400mm for wildlife shoots. Interested to know how you packed your kit given that lens and body sizes (except Z9) are pretty similar. Are the bodies attached to the lenses or are they unmounted ? Did you have to put one of the bodies in the front pocket ?
Thanks for your thoughts.
I'm just getting ready to head out. When I get back and pack up, I'll take a picture and post it. The camera bodies were not attached to lenses for travel, but both bodies and lenses fit inside the case, ie., nothing except chargers and cables in the front pocket. For flights when you are not taking too much gear, this little bag works great as a carry on.

I'm just getting ready to head out. When I get back and pack up, I'll take a picture and post it. The camera bodies were not attached to lenses for travel, but both bodies and lenses fit inside the case, ie., nothing except chargers and cables in the front pocket. For flights when you are not taking too much gear, this little bag works great as a carry on.
Thanks. Look forward to seeing photo. Have a good day.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing photo. Have a good day.
Mindshift 2.jpg

Here is the Mindshift 18L loaded with Z8, Z9, 600 PF and 100-400 zoom.

Mindshift 1.jpg

Then...when in the field I have the Z8 + 100-400 set up and ready, with the Z9 + 600 PF on a Blackrapid Strap as I tend to use that combo more. Hope these images help. There is plenty of room for the 1.4 TC (forgot to put it in the picture) and chargers, cables, etc. It's a great little pack, and sized right for carry on when you can't take too much gear with you.

View attachment 75140
Here is the Mindshift 18L loaded with Z8, Z9, 600 PF and 100-400 zoom.

View attachment 75143
Then...when in the field I have the Z8 + 100-400 set up and ready, with the Z9 + 600 PF on a Blackrapid Strap as I tend to use that combo more. Hope these images help. There is plenty of room for the 1.4 TC (forgot to put it in the picture) and chargers, cables, etc. It's a great little pack, and sized right for carry on when you can't take too much gear with you.
Thank you. That is very helpful. I feel a purchase coming on !

Back