Livid

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wells Fargo on the phone Has No Records of the texts although they sent me one for verification When I Called!

I went to my bank and they came up with reasons why it wasn't their fault.

Nikon will give me the same price IF one becomes available and I manage to find it. I have never before seen a refurbished one.

I am tired of Security that just Disables Me! My mistake was giving Wells Fargo my phone number For Security!

Taking the day off!

I just had the same thing happen to me. The credit card issuer (Pentgon Fed) put a hold on the charge. By the time I got the hold cleared, the lens was sold out.

Due to all the crime, credit card companies try to prevent false charges. Good for us - until they put a legitimate charge on hold!

I've had issues with one of my cards. When I called them, I told them to always allow purchases from certain places but the issue is that many of them subscribe to a security service and there aren't any auto over-rides. I have a second card that usually works if the first one is declined. Often, if my card isn't accepted, I can use Paypal. The ultimate irony is that Paypal uses the SAME CARD!

Constructive:
If you have something in your cart on Nikon USA you have no rights, someone else can grab it. I never relinquished the cart, after 3 security glitches I called Nikon, after THE WAIT, I reported the problem and tried to make the purchase in my cart over the phone. She checked stock and my lens was Gone.

For some reason my Apple Card which Always tries to fill itself in would not fill in even with prompts. I finally filled it in manually after talking to Nikon and Wells as my cart was still intact and got Not in Stock.

There was No Hold on the card. Wells has No Record of the transaction and won't really admit to the texts even though I printed them out and showed them. If the transaction isn't accepted or declined there is no record. Security hole or LOOP HOLE?

Thanks for the support! Helps get the wasted 4+ hours out of my head.

I'll keep on with the 200-500, you wimps can keep that lightweight glass. LOL

Sorry you missed out. Wells is not sophisticated. Get a Chase card like the Sapphire which also has great travel benefits. Their security is much more sophisticated in knowing what's out of line. The Chase Sapphire card also extends your warranty a year.
I second all of this. And in my case, their fraud detection is outstanding. If there's a question about a charge they text, email, and call immediately. I can also accept or reject a charge in their app. Problem resolution happens quickly, too, but I've only needed to do that once.

I had an issue when I ordered my Z6iii in June while traveling. I placed the order on my iPhone using Apple Pay with my normal credit card attached to it. It appeared to work since it was a preorder but when it came time to ship the camera Nikon declined the order. My credit card company had no record of the transaction of any kind and Apple claimed they had no record of the transaction of any kind. Nikon USA seems to be much stricter about credit card transactions than most businesses. I think truth be told there was something about the credit card transaction that Nikon didn't like and they declined the purchase. I eventually got the camera ordered using the same credit card but not through Apple Pay.

I have had several issues with items that took a long time to get where the credit card preauthorization expired before the final transaction when the item was ready to ship and Nikon did not reauthorize the transaction so it was declined.

I had an issue when I ordered my Z6iii in June while traveling. I placed the order on my iPhone using Apple Pay with my normal credit card attached to it. It appeared to work since it was a preorder but when it came time to ship the camera Nikon declined the order. My credit card company had no record of the transaction of any kind and Apple claimed they had no record of the transaction of any kind. Nikon USA seems to be much stricter about credit card transactions than most businesses. I think truth be told there was something about the credit card transaction that Nikon didn't like and they declined the purchase. I eventually got the camera ordered using the same credit card but not through Apple Pay.

I have had several issues with items that took a long time to get where the credit card preauthorization expired before the final transaction when the item was ready to ship and Nikon did not reauthorize the transaction so it was declined.
Ah yes Nikon retail is like my two cats; they do what they want when they want, and not always the same. This is why I don't buy direct from them any longer as I don't trust they will complete an order on an item not in stock and ready to ship.

Constructive:
If you have something in your cart on Nikon USA you have no rights, someone else can grab it. I never relinquished the cart, after 3 security glitches I called Nikon, after THE WAIT, I reported the problem and tried to make the purchase in my cart over the phone. She checked stock and my lens was Gone.

For some reason my Apple Card which Always tries to fill itself in would not fill in even with prompts. I finally filled it in manually after talking to Nikon and Wells as my cart was still intact and got Not in Stock.

There was No Hold on the card. Wells has No Record of the transaction and won't really admit to the texts even though I printed them out and showed them. If the transaction isn't accepted or declined there is no record. Security hole or LOOP HOLE?

Thanks for the support! Helps get the wasted 4+ hours out of my head.

I'll keep on with the 200-500, you wimps can keep that lightweight glass. LOL
Seems like you tried to use auto fill? I've found that can be the source of trouble, you'd need to ask an IT guy why but I have certain merchants that I know I must fill in all info including my name, address etc as the "saved" info in autofill seems to trigger a rejection.

Seems like you tried to use auto fill? I've found that can be the source of trouble, you'd need to ask an IT guy why but I have certain merchants that I know I must fill in all info including my name, address etc as the "saved" info in autofill seems to trigger a rejection.
Only tried the Apple Card after the Wells card. Neither was rejected but the Wells card went nowhere after I entered the code sent by Wells. Got a mostly blank screen that said: Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see browser console for more information)
The Apple Card actually got a response rather than an Application error.

Only tried the Apple Card after the Wells card. Neither was rejected but the Wells card went nowhere after I entered the code sent by Wells. Got a mostly blank screen that said: Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see browser console for more information)
The Apple Card actually got a response rather than an Application error.
A recommendation: before you attempt another purchase at Nikon USA, clear the browser cache and delete all Nikon USA cookies. A Nikon USA customer service rep had me do that last year after purchase difficulty I had similar to yours. It helped. I’d forgotten that when I posted earlier in the thread.

Very frustrating and it seems like there should be some kind of way to prevent you placing an item in your cart and not being able to get it. Companies (everyone, not just Nikon) should put up a message such as "you have one hour to complete the purchase or your item will be placed back in inventory for others to purchase." Or even thirty minutes or twenty minutes.

Very frustrating and it seems like there should be some kind of way to prevent you placing an item in your cart and not being able to get it. Companies (everyone, not just Nikon) should put up a message such as "you have one hour to complete the purchase or your item will be placed back in inventory for others to purchase." Or even thirty minutes or twenty minutes.
I didn't get 20 minutes and I Called Nikon with the lens Still In The Cart to process the order and it was GONE!

Still Livid!

I use Citibank. They have an option online to tell them you expect to make a larger purchase and estimated amount. I've been doing this for awhile when making large purchases and they're always approved immediately.

I use Citibank. They have an option online to tell them you expect to make a larger purchase and estimated amount. I've been doing this for awhile when making large purchases and they're always approved immediately.
Thanks! I looked and Wells doesn't have that feature. I have made much larger purchases for my business and not a peep. I think their process is new and not vetted. I certainly provided feedback at full volume. LOL

Don't worry. Be happy. It just wasn't meant to be :rolleyes:

I haven't dealt with the Nikon store for several years due to similar frustrations. If you place a pre-release order with them and there is ANY sort of a glitch with credit card etc they simply cancel your order and you go to the bottom of the list. No recourse. And don't even get me started on "two factor authentication" with banks. We use pre-paid month/month phone plans which don't work outside the US. So when we travel we pick up Sim cards with local phone numbers. Which means no on-line access via banking apps that require two factor authentication. So if we have any issues arise with credit cards it just has to wait until be get back home.

I use American Express Gold card. Never had a purchase refused as there is "no limit" on the card. You can also call in advanced to inform them of a large purchase to help guarantee no delay or problem.
The purchase was not declined, Wells was clear about that.

Amex has Trailing Interest. A pro photographer I know with a major news group underpaid her Amex bill by $5, continued to pay In Full each month but the Interest Payment was $300 a few months later when the error was caught.

Amex has offered me $5,000 in points to come back. I am not worth that kind of bonus and taking it would be asking for Trouble. With a capital T as Professor Harold Hill would say.

The purchase was not declined, Wells was clear about that.

Amex has Trailing Interest. A pro photographer I know with a major news group underpaid her Amex bill by $5, continued to pay In Full each month but the Interest Payment was $300 a few months later when the error was caught.

Amex has offered me $5,000 in points to come back. I am not worth that kind of bonus and taking it would be asking for Trouble. With a capital T as Professor Harold Hill would say.
I used to have Amex once upon a time until local retailers quit taking it because their fees were just too high. We use our card for everything then pay it off each month because we have a cash back on it, which can add up to a tidy sum each year.

For photo stuff I mostly shop at B&H and use their Payboo card to avoid paying sales tax. When I first went mirrorless and got my Z9 I went to a brick and mortar camera shop and I ended up paying over $400 in sales tax (tax rates at that location are quite high) and I thought with that money I might have gotten something else, so no more of that for me.

I had a refurbished 180-600 in my cart for $1223.95 and Wells Fargo Credit Card or Nikon diddled me around with Security BS and Someone Else got MY LENS.
I totally get your frustration when dealing with the labyrinth of credit card security. It’s happened to me while making a purchase on the West Coast, far from home. “Sorry, your card has been denied”…Every eye in the store stares at you…(he’s a deadbeat!)… then 2 minutes later the store tells you that your purchase has been approved. I get apologetic emails and texts… Too late, wife paid for it..😒 In your case a delay cost you the opportunity to get “the“ lens you wanted. The other edge of this sword is Nikon’s apparent ambivalence and disregard to any purchase protocol they have from their site…..

We’ve all been through this and it’s infuriating and sometimes embarrassing. Life is short and stuff like this clutters our enjoyment of whatever we’re doing. Let it go and move on….. They used to say “it ain’t the last 57 Chevy…..😂”Don’t stroke out over this, another one will come along…

I'm not a Nikon shooter so no dog in the "Nikon" hunt. I can't really blame them for this though. I was selling an item a couple years back. A fellow stopped by to look at it and said he was interested but needed to get money together. Did not leave a deposit or anything. The next morning a different fellow showed up and started counting out a number of $100 bills. I sold it to the guy who had cash in hand. The other fellow was unhappy but understood he didn't have the money in his hand and lost out. Stuff happens.

Nikon may have been a little quick on the trigger but at what point do they sell the item to the person who has the cash first? I don't know.

Appreciate you being unhappy and disappointed about losing out on this lens. The other person who bought it is probably just as happy as you are unhappy.

Jeff

At one time I was a very serious target shooter. When gunpowder was in short supply a major retailer protected your cart for a limited amount of time to allow you to check out. If you didn't check out your items would go back up for sale. Those waiting were given a time to check back to see if the item was sold. Much more civilized, fewer hard feelings, no sales lost.

Back