Looking for backup software recommendation (Windows)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viseguy

Some of the storage posts got me thinking about my own setup, and how I perform backups. I've been using Second Copy for years now, but I honestly do not like it, and curious what Windows 10 compatible software folks are using to automate their backups. Thanks.

SyncBack for the NAS & TeraBytes Image for Windows for image. I've restored from my TeraByte images more than once without problems. I have been thinking about Macrium Reflect.

Robocopy for me as well for mirror backups, I use a one line command in a batch file/s to do the job.

Version 3.0.0.3 of Supercopier for copying my photos from my camera cards onto my hard drives.

Popular Backup Software for Windows 10 :

1. EaseUS Todo Backup:

• Features: File backup, system imaging, disk cloning, incremental/differential backups, version control, cloud storage support (including Dropbox), scheduler, email notifications.
  • Pros: Free version available, user-friendly interface, wide range of features, good value for the paid version.
  • Cons: The free version has limited features, and some users report occasional bugs.
2. Gs Richcopy 360:
  • Features: File/folder backup, synchronization, version control, multi-threading, advanced filters, logging, command-line support.
  • Pros: Powerful and customizable, supports a wide range of destinations (including cloud storage), good for advanced users.
  • Cons: paid software.
3. AOMEI Backupper:
  • Features: Similar to EaseUS Todo Backup, plus partition backup/restore, command-line support, PXE boot media creation.
  • Pros: Free version with generous features, powerful and reliable, good technical support.
  • Cons: The interface can be slightly less intuitive than EaseUS, free version lacks some advanced features.
4. Macrium Reflect Free:
  • Features: System imaging, file/folder backup, bare-metal restore, scheduled backups, email notifications.
  • Pros: Excellent image-based backups, the free version is fully functional for basic needs, and good for disaster recovery.
  • Cons: Interface can be complex for beginners, with limited cloud storage support in the free version.
5. GoodSync:
  • Features: File/folder synchronization, real-time backup, version control, multi-device support, advanced filters, and encryption.
  • Pros: Easy to use, good for keeping files synchronized across multiple devices, free version available for basic needs.
  • Cons: A paid version is needed for advanced features.

hope this helps

@Viseguy

I've been using SyncBack for years. There are a couple of tiers and I started using the SE version until I accidentally upgraded to the Pro one! I like it as you have amazing control on what gets backed up, even folders from different drives can be put into one back up.

I run 2 back ups. First 2 manual ones for the whole of my images and documents drives. One click for each backup. Second backup runs automatically onto different drives and has selected folders from the images, documents drives, email and programme data from the system drive. I used to back up my profile too but don't now.

I keep copies of my files on a local NAS and back that NAS up to another NAS once a month. When traveling the backup NAS is kept at a neighbor's house. I always partition the boot drive in my computers so there is a separate data partition. That is what I sync with the NAS using the QNAP application.

When the boot partition is corrupted I inevitably end up reinstalling windows and my applications. I keep my installation files in a special folder on the NAS and copy it to the restored drive. If a boot backup contains the problem files and drivers or malware then to reinstall from it is not a good idea.

Costs for the software mentioned varies considerably. With GoodSync it's $40 per year per computer. With Aomei a lifetime license for one PC costs $70. For SyncBackSE Pro the cost is $55 for one user with up to 5 computers.

The free versions do not include the ability to make incremental backups or to create a bootable drive image, both of which are important for my own use.

There are two different types of "data" to backup.

I use Macrium Reflect to make an image of my Operating Systems and installed applications. This includes a bootable routine and a back up of all my OS and apps. If I plug in a new hard drive, I can populate it with a mirror image of my OS and installed apps.

All my personal data (photos, various files, etc) are housed on internal HD's. I use BART to back up all this data to external HD's, which are stored off premise.

Also, FWIW, all my jpg's on my website are another type of back up.

If you are looking at cloud sync or mirror storage, I have recently moved to Idrive. Its only drawback is that sharing folders and files. It is specifically designed for external backup of large amounts of data, in my case, about 2TB and growing. The vast majority of which are my photographic images. One can upload and download the Internet or send it to a storage device. I chose to use the internet, which took a couple of nights. Should I ever need a "full recovery," I will have them send me all of it on a storage device, which is part of the service fee once a subscription cycle. Idrive has sales promotions all the time. Dec 23rd, 2023, I purchased the IDrive Personal Yearly: 10 TB - 4.98 USD a month. If you phone in, you only need to tell them where you saw the promotion. This is a very competitive marketplace, so check around on the cost/TB as current technology decreases in price.

I used GoodSync in the past, before I got a recommendation for FreeSync and I love it. During Windows times used it for every kiond of data backup, syncing, ... system images were the only thing I relied on Windows internal function.

Now, after changing to the Apple universe time machine is doing the bread and butter work comfortably in the background, but I still use Free Sync (it's cross-platform) for various archiving and syncing jobs for data I don't keep on my internal SSD anymore because there is relatively little traffic (e.g. client data archives, offline media archive,...) and thus has to be stored on mutiple devices (cf. 3-2-1 rule)

Free Sync is free, very flexible and very reliable, so I prefer to donate to the author from time to time rather than paying commercial license fees.
I am using it for about 10 years now and never had a single issue neither with my private nor - also pretty important - with my professional data.
It also supports cloud integration, but I haven't used it, so I can't say much about it yet.

Back