Looking for Recommendations on Upcoming Trip to Alaska

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

One of the reasons why I am changing to four thirds cameras is due to weight. The panasonic 100-300mm lens is the equivilent to the 600mm ff lens
Pana lens weight = 520 gms/ 1.14lb
Nikon z 600mm lens = 1470 g / 3.24 lbs

at my age I would hate to lug around a Nikon z8 = 910 g (2.01 lb ) + 3.24 lens ==== well over 5 lb for a day trip out on a tour
Pana G9 = 1.45lb + 1.14 lems=== 2.5 lbs or put another way half the weight and a lot smaller as well

P1060481.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

PanasonicG9 + 100-300mm lens length Records up to 6K as well

Last edited:
thinking about lugging stuff through the airports and to/from the transportation, I would strongly consider just 2 lenses, 24-120 and 180-600. Only a tiny bit of usable focal length not covered with these 2 lenses. If the goal was more landscape than wildlife, then something wider like a 14-24, 24-120 and maybe the 100-400 leaving the 180-600 at home. Just depends on what is the priority in your shooting style.

We were in Alaska in 2018 and I brought way more stuff than I needed. The lenses I actually used: 24-70, 200-500, and walking around 100-400. My wife and I went with her brother and his wife. Some of the most treasured photos of the trip were "selfies" with my iPhone with us in various locations. We were not on a cruise, we flew into Anchorage and drove around for 3 weeks. (Anchorage, Copper Junction, Fairbanks, Denali, Homer, Seward).

I ended up doing a lot of landscapes, wildflowers and wildlife. Alaska is like anywhere else for wildlife, regardless of what telephoto you have, "one bigger" is what you want. Just make do with what you have, make great memories, and don't forget to take the "selfies" with you and whomever you may be traveling or with new friends from the ship. 5 or 6 years from now, those will be the memories you cherish the most,,, at least that is how it's worked for me.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Jeff

One of the reasons why I am changing to four thirds cameras is due to weight. The panasonic 100-300mm lens is the equivilent to the 600mm ff lens
Pana lens weight = 520 gms/ 1.14lb
Nikon z 600mm lens = 1470 g / 3.24 lbs

at my age I would hate to lug around a Nikon z8 = 910 g (2.01 lb ) + 3.24 lens ==== well over 5 lb for a day trip out on a tour
Pana G9 = 1.45lb + 1.14 lems=== 2.5 lbs or put another way half the weight and a lot smaller as well

View attachment 91343

PanasonicG9 + 100-300mm lens length Records up to 6K as well
Interesting…

I would bring three lenses the 600 a shorter zoom and the 24-120. I would look into carrying straps blackrapid or holdfast and carry no more than 2 lenses per outing keep the rest in the room. I would rent and bring a second body If for no other reason than backup should something go wrong with your z8.

your biggest problem will be with airports. Get a backpack that allows you to carry comfortably or add some wheels allowing you to roll it through the airport. your Camera bag must be small enough to carry on. Guts gear 30l is Steve Perry’s favorite.

plus cell phone.

from my last post even go for the

Panasonic 100-400mm f4-6.3 Leica DG Vario-Elmar ASPH Power OIS II Lens​

giving the equivilant to 800mm
UK price for panasonic G9mk 2 = £1679= above lens= £1438
not the G9 earlier version I quoted before

What a knockout combo that would be. both camera and lens both have anti shake making hand holding rock solid. I know with the 100-300 mm lens I have and next year i will be 80 yrs old and not the steadiest of hands

unedited and keeping steady test

just taken tiles 100ft+ away= hand held -100-300mmlens @300mm (600mm in ff terms] try that with a 600mm ff lens and heavy camera. not bad for nearly 80 years old next year

Panasonic G9 and 100-300mm lens

Last edited:
The 1.4 TC gets my 100-400 to 560, right; so nearly 600. Then again, 1.4 with the 600 gets me to 840… I only have 1 Z body, unfortunately.
IMO, it is a mistake to take any week or longer trip without a back up body unless local destination camera shop can fulfill a camera failure without a loss in time and even then that is at most likely at new cost . Buy a used Z7ii from MBP or KEH. Too many things can cause body or lens to be inop, don't take that risk. Z7ii and Z8 are very similar. With the Z6iii formal announcement this Tue (6/19), that should cuse a further drop in both the Z6ii and Z7ii used camera market; go for the Z7ii so you don't lose resolution and while BIF focus speed isn't as ood as Z8, on your trip BIF is not going to be your most frequent subject. Enjoy your trip!

I would bring three lenses the 600 a shorter zoom and the 24-120. I would look into carrying straps blackrapid or holdfast and carry no more than 2 lenses per outing keep the rest in the room. I would rent and bring a second body If for no other reason than backup should something go wrong with your z8.

your biggest problem will be with airports. Get a backpack that allows you to carry comfortably or add some wheels allowing you to roll it through the airport. your Camera bag must be small enough to carry on. Guts gear 30l is Steve Perry’s favorite.

plus cell phone.
Thanks, Wotan1. However, my biggest problem is actually the train between Anchorage and Denali. Unless I want to check my bag/backpak it has to sit between my legs for 8 hours. In the airplane i can put it under my seat or in the overhead bin. As I am 72 and not as strong as I used to be, I just need to be able to comfortably carry any photo gear I take for almost an entire day when traveling. At the destinations and on the ship I can store the equipment not required for the day. I just have to decide what’s necessary for me on this trip as we have both vacation and photography plans tied together. If I thought I could get away without the 100-400mm and use a 2xTC with the 24-120mm I would strongly consider it. BTW my iPhone will be my backup!

Thanks, Wotan1. However, my biggest problem is actually the train between Anchorage and Denali. Unless I want to check my bag/backpak it has to sit between my legs for 8 hours. In the airplane i can put it under my seat or in the overhead bin. As I am 72 and not as strong as I used to be, I just need to be able to comfortably carry any photo gear I take for almost an entire day when traveling. At the destinations and on the ship I can store the equipment not required for the day. I just have to decide what’s necessary for me on this trip as we have both vacation and photography plans tied together. If I thought I could get away without the 100-400mm and use a 2xTC with the 24-120mm I would strongly consider it. BTW my iPhone will be my backup!
that is a nice train ride. You can get up and walk around some and even step outside for a bit (at least when we rode it you could go to one of the outdoor cars). The good news is you won't have to sit in one place for 8 hours

These days I’m finding airlines, the internal ones, getting quite strict about carry on weight. A 2nd body, while desirable, isn’t always an option. I’ve not carried a backup for years. If I carry 2 bodies, they’re very different,

These days I’m finding airlines, the internal ones, getting quite strict about carry on weight. A 2nd body, while desirable, isn’t always an option. I’ve not carried a backup for years. If I carry 2 bodies, they’re very different,

I never go on any trip without a backup body. I've had bodies fail for one reason or another, on two or three occasions.

I am 75 and sympathetic with your plight. I have been in physical therapy to strengthen my back so I can carry things More easily.

the Gura Gear 30l is not that big a bag yet will hold the lenses I suggest. If it weighs too much with everything loaded add a hand cart or get a rolling bag so you can wheel it between places. When I was working and traveling a lot I got in the position where I had one wheeled carry on plus a small backpack. They hooked together and the wheeled bag acts as a hand truck. Simple to roll around where i chose to go and no weight issues.

The camera straps let you carry things comfortably. For the train trip you could just take out the Z8 and 24-120 and check the rest of the camera bag or not depending on what people say about whether that is risky.

My point is in a trip of this nature having the 600 and a tc is going to hugely improve your reach.

I have heard nothing about a tripod so I am assuming you are not bringing either one of those or a monopod.

You are going with your wife. If she is anything like my wife she will pack heavy for a trip of this length and your stuff is going to pale by comparison.

Many years ago I went with my wife to Europe for six weeks. We followed the Rick Steves approach. We lived out of a single small pack that was easy to carry. We had -only three changes of clothing and had to wash clothes by hand every other day.

It was amazingly liberating to travel so minimally. could never do that today,

I am 75 and sympathetic with your plight. I have been in physical therapy to strengthen my back so I can carry things More easily.

the Gura Gear 30l is not that big a bag yet will hold the lenses I suggest. If it weighs too much with everything loaded add a hand cart or get a rolling bag so you can wheel it between places. When I was working and traveling a lot I got in the position where I had one wheeled carry on plus a small backpack. They hooked together and the wheeled bag acts as a hand truck. Simple to roll around where i chose to go and no weight issues.

The camera straps let you carry things comfortably. For the train trip you could just take out the Z8 and 24-120 and check the rest of the camera bag or not depending on what people say about whether that is risky.

My point is in a trip of this nature having the 600 and a tc is going to hugely improve your reach.

I have heard nothing about a tripod so I am assuming you are not bringing either one of those or a monopod.

You are going with your wife. If she is anything like my wife she will pack heavy for a trip of this length and your stuff is going to pale by comparison.

Many years ago I went with my wife to Europe for six weeks. We followed the Rick Steves approach. We lived out of a single small pack that was easy to carry. We had -only three changes of clothing and had to wash clothes by hand every other day.

It was amazingly liberating to travel so minimally. could never do that today,
I got it. The backpack I like to carry is a 19L Loewpro. I now have a 26L but not sure I want to lug it. I may get my wife to carry 1 lens with her in her Purse… if i don’t feel a lugging the 26L. BTW I am a Verdi fan…

Victor Emanuel is OK by me.

The Gura Gear is a light bag but it depends what you put in it.

Where will you be boarding the cruise ship? I live near a cruise ship terminal in Seattle and we frequently walk our dogs at a marina near the terminal.

Where will you be boarding the cruise ship? I live near a cruise ship terminal in Seattle and we frequently walk our dogs at a marina near the terminal.
Vancouver

How much does the Gura Gear weigh. The 26L I got is >6lbs.

I was going to suggest going to dinner before your if there was time but I am in Seattle.

I have been up as far as Skagway in SE Alaska but never went farther. Should be a great trip.

Actually there are two versions of the 30l. One with and one without a computer sleeve. The one without the sleeve weighs slightly less than 4 lbs and that apparently includes all the dividers that come with it, most of which you would not need. The one without the sleeve has more roon for camera gear. I have that one and I like thAt bag. It certainly works as a carry on.

I actually have a custom backpack for field use but it would not qualify for carry on.

I have a Z9 for wildlife and a Zf for travel. I find that more and more when I go to nearby parks, etc. that I grab the Zf + 500pf rather than the Z9 + 800pf. If that trend continues and the Z6III is a little better wildlife camera, or a better low light camera, or has some feature that I can't live without, then I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll wait for something more enticing.

P.S. I've been spousally pre-approved so the bar is pretty low. Having more buttons than the Zf could trigger a purchase.

How much does the Gura Gear weigh. The 26L I got is >6lbs.
It is interesting, your bigger bag weighs more than six lbs. By contrast the Gura Gear weighs less than 4 lbs. The 600mm pf lens weighs a bit over 3 lbs. That means the Gura Gear with the 600mm pf weighs about a pound more than your bigger bag without anything in it.

Maybe that is why Steve likes that bag so much.

We all have ideas for you but you have to make the decisions for yourself. Whatever you choose the important thing is to have a good time for what is going to be the trip of a lifetime.

My wife and I may be on the same cruise! I am also going over what camera gear to take along. A complicating factor for me is the lack of a direct flight back from Anchorage to Chicago, with a connecting flight in Seattle.

I had a recent learning experience when I booked a rather last minute flight a few weeks ago from Florida to Nebraska to photograph some migratory birds I would see each spring growing up on a farm. (Especially enjoyed capturing some Hudsonian Godwits for example.). I had initially packed my MindShift Gear BackLight 36L Backpack with my z800 pf and the 180-600 with both cameras. I worried for several days about flying coach with no alternative but a connecting flight that could potentially result in a lack of overhead bin space shortage. I decided two days before going to take only the z8 and the 180-600 since it would fit in my leather backpack and would fit under the seat if needed. Needless to say, I was happy with the decision to downsize my pack after experiencing a flight delay and being forced to check my carry on arriving at the next gate only eight minutes before the flight was due to take off. I would have loved to have my z9 and z800 to photograph the Godwits and the Green-winged Teal but happy not to be in a predicament of deciding whether or not to check my gear or change flights.

I am currently considering to take the 100-400 with 1.4 TC and z28-400 and one z body. I am also upgrading both of our phones to iPhone 15 Pro to serve as backup.

Maybe will see you there!

My wife and I may be on the same cruise! I am also going over what camera gear to take along. A complicating factor for me is the lack of a direct flight back from Anchorage to Chicago, with a connecting flight in Seattle.

I had a recent learning experience when I booked a rather last minute flight a few weeks ago from Florida to Nebraska to photograph some migratory birds I would see each spring growing up on a farm. (Especially enjoyed capturing some Hudsonian Godwits for example.). I had initially packed my MindShift Gear BackLight 36L Backpack with my z800 pf and the 180-600 with both cameras. I worried for several days about flying coach with no alternative but a connecting flight that could potentially result in a lack of overhead bin space shortage. I decided two days before going to take only the z8 and the 180-600 since it would fit in my leather backpack and would fit under the seat if needed. Needless to say, I was happy with the decision to downsize my pack after experiencing a flight delay and being forced to check my carry on arriving at the next gate only eight minutes before the flight was due to take off. I would have loved to have my z9 and z800 to photograph the Godwits and the Green-winged Teal but happy not to be in a predicament of deciding whether or not to check my gear or change flights.

I am currently considering to take the 100-400 with 1.4 TC and z28-400 and one z body. I am also upgrading both of our phones to iPhone 15 Pro to serve as backup.

Maybe will see you there!
That would be great!

Back