Lost a days shooting on A Nikon Z8- what happened?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I 'm hoping someone can shed some light on what happened today. Have to say I'm feeling horrible right now , lost some great shots. Anyway came home from a shoot and tried to download shots using LR to my laptop. I put my Delkin Black card in my Delkin card reader and couldn't see todays pictures. I put the card back in the camera and they were all there. I double checked I wasn't looking at the second card and was not. I then put the card back in the reader and tried using the Nikon Transfer software which just hung. Decided to try taking another picture and no problem but then noticed I could no longer see todays pictures on my camera. So they appear to be gone. Any thoughts on what I did wrong if anything (I was careful to check the camera was off and card wasn't being read before removal, at least I think I was! Alao powered down my laptop before removing card)? Any ideas about recovering todays pix? On a different note can I copy from the camera USB directly to LR (no Nikon software)? TIA

Definitely try some recovery software but wondered if your Nikon Transfer was set to delete files after transfer? And is it possible they did get transferred somewhere onto your computer?
I don't use the Nikon Transfer ever and it may be one of the culprits. It said it was responding and I forced it to close. It hung when I tried to access the options on the download so I don't think it started the transfer ( I never told it to start). I have looked to see if some files transferred and the location is empty.

I don't use the Nikon Transfer ever and it may be one of the culprits. It said it was responding and I forced it to close. It hung when I tried to access the options on the download so I don't think it started the transfer ( I never told it to start). I have looked to see if some files transferred and the location is empty.
typo the Nikon Transfer was "not responding"

I've used Recuva ( a free software) to recover files from SD cards that have been formatted. Download Recuva (https://recuva.en.softonic.com/) to your computer --I don't think it will run on Apple computers. Put the card in a card reader and do a deep scan looking for pictures on that drive, recover them to a new, empty file on your desktop. Sometimes it won't recover every photo, but I've usually gotten them all.

typo the Nikon Transfer was "not responding"
I have used Nikon Transfer in the past (stopped using it because of problems with it), and often it appears not to be responding but is doing stuff in the background. You can readily check your settings (including where you have set the transfer to go to as well as whether you set it to delete it after transferring). Just a thought:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 12.04.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 12.04.26 PM.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 12.03.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 12.03.58 PM.png
    396.9 KB · Views: 6
I would definitely do a broad search (all hard drives, all directories) to see if they got transferred. Not knowing any of your settings, etc., it's a no cost, low effort and potentially high gain step.
I tried to search all cards and drives with what should be a missing file name and no luck but thanks.

Last edited:
I have used Nikon Transfer in the past (stopped using it because of problems with it), and often it appears not to be responding but is doing stuff in the background. You can readily check your settings (including where you have set the transfer to go to as well as whether you set it to delete it after transferring). Just a thought:
I did, nothing there.

I've used Recuva ( a free software) to recover files from SD cards that have been formatted. Download Recuva (https://recuva.en.softonic.com/) to your computer --I don't think it will run on Apple computers. Put the card in a card reader and do a deep scan looking for pictures on that drive, recover them to a new, empty file on your desktop. Sometimes it won't recover every photo, but I've usually gotten them all.
I will try that. Just now trying some recovery software that's not free but recommended by Delkin support - Photo Recovery by LC Tech

So I talked with Delkin and they suspect it is a card issue albeit not common and they are replacing the card. Trying some recovery software they recommended and maybe I can get something back. Apparently the software (Photo Recovery by LC Tech) is pretty good for pix but not so much for video.

So I talked with Delkin and they suspect it is a card issue albeit not common and they are replacing the card. Trying some recovery software they recommended and maybe I can get something back. Apparently the software (Photo Recovery by LC Tech) is pretty good for pix but not so much for video.
Glad to hear that Delkin was helpful (I am using their cards exclusively now). And will keep this program in mind if I have problems.

EaseUS is also good, but you need to cancel membership within 30 days or continue paying!!!!! At least that is how it worked a few years ago when I needed to recover hubby's video files....which he had refused to back up! Grrrrr!

No matter what you do - do NOT reformat the card - and do NOT use the card again until you are SURE the images are not recoverable!!!!!!!! Keep trying....there is a fair to good chance you can recover the images.

EaseUS is also good, but you need to cancel membership within 30 days or continue paying!!!!! At least that is how it worked a few years ago when I needed to recover hubby's video files....which he had refused to back up! Grrrrr!

No matter what you do - do NOT reformat the card - and do NOT use the card again until you are SURE the images are not recoverable!!!!!!!! Keep trying....there is a fair to good chance you can recover the images.
Yes thanks, not doing anything with the card. Might try EASEUS, apparently the cost of the Photo Recovery for video files is way more than for photos- not that I don't value my stuff but it wasn't anything critical and hard to pay up for.

How are the storage valves for the card? Used vs available? Are there any hidden folders on the card?
There are definitely photos that are not showing up and I don't think it's in a hidden folder, just lost. When I scan the CF Ex card with the recovery software they are all still there and in the same order as files before and after come up. Just have to find good free software or cough up the bucks!

Back