Love Is In The Air

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As winter's embrace tightens, a remarkable event unfolds in our local pond – the arrival of the sandhill cranes. These avian giants, known for their distinctive calls and majestic stature, transform the landscape into a theater of natural wonder.

A couple of weeks ago, on a brisk morning, with temperatures diving below the freezing mark, I drove all the way to the Sacramento Delta ponds just after the cranes' nocturnal arrival.

I was very lucky: huge flocks of sandhill cranes arrived the night before and stayed here.

The early winter chill had painted the ground with a delicate layer of frost, and each breath I exhaled turned to a wisp of white steam in the crisp air. The sky, a canvas of ever-changing hues, transitioned from a somber grey to a tapestry of blues, reds, oranges, and eventually a brilliant gold, mirroring the awakening day.

Amidst this backdrop, the cranes commenced their morning rituals. In the paddocks, they meandered gracefully, their long beaks dipping into the water in search of sustenance. But it was their dance that truly captivated me. With sudden bursts of energy, some cranes leaped into the air, wings flapping with fervor, heads bowing in an intricate ballet. They moved in circles, their actions reminiscent of a passionate and fiery dance, a display of romance and courtship that spoke of ancient rites and the timeless dance of nature.

As I stood there, utterly mesmerized, I realized I was seeing one of nature's most beautiful spectacles. Finally, as if on cue, the cranes began their ascent, taking off in groups towards their next destination in a display of power and grace. This moment, a blend of raw natural beauty and the intimate dance of life, left an indelible mark on my soul.

Oliver

001 Morning Clouds

002 Misty Morning

004 Lone Dancer

006 Golden Pond

008 Tango

Nice. Love the environmental compositions!! I've now missed these guys in big numbers in a marsh a couple hours from me, but hopefully will get back there this week to see if with the new lens I have enough reach (they annoyingly refuse to get close to where the ground is firm enough that I don't disappear into the mud) to get a coule of keepers -- though just sitting with them for a few hours engulfed in their calls is pretty great.

Nice. Love the environmental compositions!! I've now missed these guys in big numbers in a marsh a couple hours from me, but hopefully will get back there this week to see if with the new lens I have enough reach (they annoyingly refuse to get close to where the ground is firm enough that I don't disappear into the mud) to get a coule of keepers -- though just sitting with them for a few hours engulfed in their calls is pretty great.
Thank you, Steven. These birds are fun to watch, their courtship ritual is just fascinating, I could hear the calls from miles away. I did measure the distance: it turned out cranes could see us from 200 meters away, so yeah, you need super-telephoto lens.

Oliver

Back