Love the Pileated Woodpecker.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gpsman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This beauty resides at the Great Meadow in Concord, MA. I’d love to know the range of this bird. Anyone else? where ? And when?

0AA5F4DB-6B47-4A48-A602-B0B3A0597193.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

They're so fun to watch! Same size as crows.

More info here including their range.

Beautiful. My favorite Woodie. I have some around and though I seldom see them, the last two years, one has shown up at my feeders. He only comes a couple of times and stays a few minites. At least, a couple of times that I've seen.

Yup, They are throughout Virginia. This one was working over a rotten log in Rappahannock County. They are noisy!
LCS_0632.jpeg

This one crashed into our window and knocked himself “silly”. I got the shot with an iPhone. It took 10-15 minutes for his recovery. He flew away eventuall.
IMG_2284.jpeg

They're so fun to watch! Same size as crows.

More info here including their range.
Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

I have them in my backyard in south eastern Mass, and I have seen them while hiking in northern Vermont. I still haven't gotten a good image of them. I always spot them in terrible light or when they are too far up in a tree

CT they are numerous and year Round. I have them on my property at times.
Ralph, if your not seeing any come down here sometime. I have great areas in CT and they are crazy, Animated calling flying tree to tree, cackling a Lot. Best time for photos is nesting season though, then you got em once you have a nest location.
Now, Im seeing a lot but they tend to stay higher up.

Last edited:
Back