Love this crowd, but getting darn tired of photographing them :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Spring is in the air. The house finches were singing up a storm yesterday. The black-capped chickadees and red breasted nuthatches were gloriously zooming past within inches of my head. Woodpeckers are incredibly territorial (so I'm told) but yesterday there were six (of at least two types, likely three) feeding at a group of feeders someone had put up off a trail in a stand of trees where I photographed this downy. Weather remains wildly out of the ordinary here -- was a day of gloveless February photography for me yesterday.
Z9; 300 pf, handheld.
yet another chickadee shot.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
yet another downy woodpecker shot.jpg
nuthatch.jpg
yet another house finch shot.jpg

Can I come over? 40°s here and nothing to shoot........

Excellent set of images! Enjoy them. You could be playing solitaire and Wordle on the computer.....:rolleyes:

Spring is in the air. The house finches were singing up a storm yesterday. The black-capped chickadees and red breasted nuthatches were gloriously zooming past within inches of my head. Woodpeckers are incredibly territorial (so I'm told) but yesterday there were six (of at least two types, likely three) feeding at a group of feeders someone had put up off a trail in a stand of trees where I photographed this downy. Weather remains wildly out of the ordinary here -- was a day of gloveless February photography for me yesterday.
Z9; 300 pf, handheld.
View attachment 33442View attachment 33443View attachment 33444View attachment 33445
Great set Steven!👍👍👍

Can I come over? 40°s here and nothing to shoot........

Excellent set of images! Enjoy them. You could be playing solitaire and Wordle on the computer.....:rolleyes:
Thanks much. I don't even know what Wordle is but assume it's the new crave I see talked about and all over Twitter? :) You can come over but I should let you know the heat wave we were having yesterday meant it was barely 45 F :)

Z9; 300 pf, handheld.
View attachment 33442View attachment 33443View attachment 33444View attachment 33445
Nice Steven. It was 70 here today and yes the birds are getting frisky. There was young bluebird couple looking at one of my houses today and they started taking in nesting material. Love the Downy, nice shot. I didnt see a one last year and this year I have a couple hanging here daily now. Odd, when I see you all post pics, I sense it is time for me to look for these birds around my house too!!! First I've seen of a black capped chickadee.

Nice Steven. It was 70 here today and yes the birds are getting frisky. There was young bluebird couple looking at one of my houses today and they started taking in nesting material. Love the Downy, nice shot. I didnt see a one last year and this year I have a couple hanging here daily now. Odd, when I see you all post pics, I sense it is time for me to look for these birds around my house too!!! First I've seen of a black capped chickadee.
Thanks! We're back into the freezing (but not too deep) temps again, here. Bluebirds are for me a rare treat, tho since I've picked up the camera for wildlife I've been trying to be more vigilant in spotting them -- nice you've got them as backyard neighbours! The Black Capped version of Chickadees have a range that just barely touches the northern tip of California -- I just looked it up :) An incredibly gregarious bird -- they routinely land on me or my camera ,and will most certainly eat from one's hand if there's food to be had. Almost one by one they'll check people out and then ignore you if there's no food :) I've had them alight on me days from 'anywhere' by canoe, and at one point I read that the behaviour is definitely learned and reinforced by people offering food, but that their friendliness is an output of their considerable intelligence. And, apparently true of most all of the Chickadees is they have one of the most complex languages of all animals! It always amazes me to see such a tiny bird being its normal never sit still self in super cold, cold temperatures and heavy snow, even.

Thanks! We're back into the freezing (but not too deep) temps again, here. Bluebirds are for me a rare treat, tho since I've picked up the camera for wildlife I've been trying to be more vigilant in spotting them -- nice you've got them as backyard neighbours! The Black Capped version of Chickadees have a range that just barely touches the northern tip of California -- I just looked it up :) An incredibly gregarious bird -- they routinely land on me or my camera ,and will most certainly eat from one's hand if there's food to be had. Almost one by one they'll check people out and then ignore you if there's no food :) I've had them alight on me days from 'anywhere' by canoe, and at one point I read that the behaviour is definitely learned and reinforced by people offering food, but that their friendliness is an output of their considerable intelligence. And, apparently true of most all of the Chickadees is they have one of the most complex languages of all animals! It always amazes me to see such a tiny bird being its normal never sit still self in super cold, cold temperatures and heavy snow, even.
Wow that is really neat to have wild bird so friendly. Mine do come for dinner but want nothing to do with me. I actually have 3 bluebird houses built and up and all 3 have been received by couples so far. Funny. just started taking wildlife pics ( did landscape mainly when vacationing prior) in May 21 when I got my D850/500pf setup and prior to that, I didn't even realize I had Blue Birds here. As a matter of fact, the only birds I realized were here were woodpeckers that dug holes in house fascia board and House finch who made nests on my gutter downspouts... so basically anything that was a nuisance.

Z9; 300 pf, handheld.
Beautiful series

Really nice photos. Unfortunately birds have been unusually scarce around here this winter, we have some but nothing like the numbers we've had in the past.
Thanks Woody. Re numbers, that's very much the case here, as well. Winter and summer. A week in the mountains this past fall, tenting, and awoke every morning to silence but for an occasional distant raven or jay calling; clearly the population crashes of birds is becoming noticeable :(

Back