Machias/Cutler Maine Puffins

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have heard a lot about the large Atlantic Puffin colony that summers at Seal Island off the coast of Machias, Maine. Despite living in New England I have never been out to Seal Island. This morning the season opened for booking and I was lucky enough to grab a date. Did anyone else manage to get a tour? I think I will stay in Lubec, Maine. If anyone has any recommendations on where to stay, please let me know, It's been a long time since I have been that far up in Maine and in that area. I will be up there during a new moon, so I might do some milky way landscape photography if weather cooperates. Does anyone know if you can access Quoddy Head Lighthouse after dark? I know the lighthouse itself will not be open for tours, but I didn't know if the parking lot closes or if the area is off limits at night.

I just happened to stumble upon this video on youtube a few days ago, which prompted me to finally book the trip.
Machias Seal Island Puffins

Last edited:
I stayed at a bnB cabin in the woods last year. Many mosquitos. A friend stayed at the Bluebird Motel. Said it was adequate. Clean. It's a motel. Good luck with weather. Know that weather and the capt. will determine whether you can land on the island.

I got to take the trip to Machias Seal Island last summer and it was a blast. The former captain that led the tours from the USA side for years (Captain Andy) unfortunately passed away so I count myself lucky to have been one of his last tours. I'm interested to hear how your experience goes in the next era of captaincy.

I got two dates this year, July 19th, and August 16th. I went last year, but the seas were too rough to go ashore, so they circled the island in the boat and we shot from the boat. Still got some nice shots. Keeping my fingers crossed I get to go ashore at least one of the days this year.
July & August are good time of the year to go.

I got two dates this year, July 19th, and August 16th. I went last year, but the seas were too rough to go ashore, so they circled the island in the boat and we shot from the boat. Still got some nice shots. Keeping my fingers crossed I get to go ashore at least one of the days this year.
I got August 5th, hopefully the weather will cooperate for us. How close to shore does the boat get when it's too rough to go ashore?

It’s been a very long time since I was last there, but way back when we stayed at the Owen House Inn, just over the bridge, on Campobello Island. I noticed that it’s still there (http://www.owenhouse.ca/) - a lovely spot right on the Bay of Fundy, where you’ll see 25’ tides, whales, eagles, and much else. At that time the innkeepers were delightful, and full of great local suggestions for places to visit. One evening, we enjoyed a lobster dinner on the stoney shore at West Quoddy lighthouse - so unbelievably beautiful and peaceful - we were the only ones there. Lubec has always been one of my very favorite towns in Maine, but I’ll need to qualify that since I haven’t been in so long - it’s possible that things have changed over the years.

I’ve never done the puffin trip to Seal Island, but I know others who have and had great experiences. One thing my friends caution about is transferring from the main boat that makes the trip from Cutler to the small skiff that ferries you to shore - it can be a tricky maneuver if seas are rough and you’re schlepping camera gear. Also, the blinds on the island are very small, with very small viewing ports, which make it all but impossible to use a tripod. As for lenses, think short because the birds are very close at hand.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

I got August 5th, hopefully the weather will cooperate for us. How close to shore does the boat get when it's too rough to go ashore?
We didn't get close enough to get any decent shots of the birds on the rocks, etc. Some shots of groups of birds on shore but It was fairly foggy that day as well. We were pretty much limited to flight shots (with white skies unfortunately) or shots of them in the water. Low flight shots where you could get the water for a backround were the best. Most of the take off shots were due to the boat approaching, so they were taking off with their backs to us most the time. I brought my 100-400 S lens figuring it was ideal for the blinds, especially with it's short minimum focusing distance. This time I will bring the 100-400 for blind use if we get to go ashore, as well as the 600mm PF for shots from the boat.

Reactions: Gio
I was glad to get the mid July date as I have heard it's the best time to get the Puffins with fish in their beaks.
I went mid July last year and was fortunate to get on the island. Its 60 minutes of constant shooting. My advice: the blinds are small and difficult to maneuver around. There are 4 to a blind. Try to attach yourself to a group of the smallest people

I have heard a lot about the large Atlantic Puffin colony that summers at Seal Island off the coast of Machias, Maine. Despite living in New England I have never been out to Seal Island. This morning the season opened for booking and I was lucky enough to grab a date. Did anyone else manage to get a tour? I think I will stay in Lubec, Maine. If anyone has any recommendations on where to stay, please let me know, It's been a long time since I have been that far up in Maine and in that area. I will be up there during a new moon, so I might do some milky way landscape photography if weather cooperates. Does anyone know if you can access Quoddy Head Lighthouse after dark? I know the lighthouse itself will not be open for tours, but I didn't know if the parking lot closes or if the area is off limits at night.

I just happened to stumble upon this video on youtube a few days ago, which prompted me to finally book the trip.
I thought this might be of some interest to you. It’s a copy of an email from a friend of mine, who is one of the preeminent bird photographers in the world.

re. the blinds. They were wooden structures big enough for just a few people each. My main memories were that the viewing ports were somewhat high and too narrow to allow for instance a 500mm f4 to easily fit through apart from maybe one position (take the hood off). Not really space for a tripod. I remember being constrained to one height with my tripod collapsed to use like a monopod. Very frustrating. Sometimes the puffins were so close you were shooting down on them and I had to be on tiptoe (but then I AM short!). Hard to see puffins coming for flight shots.
Occasionally it can be rough so you cannot even land, but there are opportunities to shoot from the boat. Maybe even better for flight in that case. I believe Nancy Elwood went there within the past few years. Check out her FB page.
Despite all the pitfalls, I DID get some good shots. And good to go multiple days.

It's been a while since I was there. My wife and I booked two consecutive days because of the risk of rough surf and weather. We ended up going both days and using different blinds. That gave us a good experience with a lot more in flight shots the second day and close ups the first day. Two days later a friend from Colorado was there with a reservation for one day and his trip was cancelled. He has not had a chance to return as Cutler is quite remote.

I had a 300 f/4 lens with a 1.4 TC on a DX body. That was too long the first day with close subjects, but the short minimum focus distance was useful. I was taking head shots of birds just 5-6 feet away. The second day it was just right. It seems to me that there are high and low windows in the blinds as well as windows on the ends. Large diameter lenses won't work at all. Even a 600mm PF would be a bit on the long side because minimum focus distance is around 16 feet and you want something shorter. I would not use an f/4 telephoto or a 400mm f/2.8 - they are just too large.

I was in a blind with 3-4 other people. We had no problems with space. There is no real room for a tripod but a monopod could be useful. I normally just rested the end of the lens on the window sill. They don't want you to stick the lens out the window more than a few inches.

We stayed near Schoodic Peninsula and Acadia NP for the week, so our drive each morning was a lot earlier and longer. Still - it was not bad - maybe 90 minutes each way. Cutler is tiny and remote, so an hour drive is reasonable. In July the sunrise is very early and it was full daylight by 5:00 AM. We were back to land after the shoot by noon. If you can, get a patch or medication for motion sickness. The water can be rough, and it's better to be prepared.

When you land, you move from the large boat to a small dingy to land on the island. Don't carry too much gear - if the boat is rocking you could end up in the water. I would not call that likely - but you are stepping off a moving boat to a wet rock landing. A dry bag or a backpack is useful. You will hand your gear to the crew to carry ashore. Be prepared for cool temperatures on the water. On a good day the water temperature is 60 degrees or less, and you are on the boat for more than an hour each way. Be sure to wear a hat - there are birds flying over your head.

It's been a while since I was there. My wife and I booked two consecutive days because of the risk of rough surf and weather. We ended up going both days and using different blinds. That gave us a good experience with a lot more in flight shots the second day and close ups the first day. Two days later a friend from Colorado was there with a reservation for one day and his trip was cancelled. He has not had a chance to return as Cutler is quite remote.

I had a 300 f/4 lens with a 1.4 TC on a DX body. That was too long the first day with close subjects, but the short minimum focus distance was useful. I was taking head shots of birds just 5-6 feet away. The second day it was just right. It seems to me that there are high and low windows in the blinds as well as windows on the ends. Large diameter lenses won't work at all. Even a 600mm PF would be a bit on the long side because minimum focus distance is around 16 feet and you want something shorter. I would not use an f/4 telephoto or a 400mm f/2.8 - they are just too large.

I was in a blind with 3-4 other people. We had no problems with space. There is no real room for a tripod but a monopod could be useful. I normally just rested the end of the lens on the window sill. They don't want you to stick the lens out the window more than a few inches.

We stayed near Schoodic Peninsula and Acadia NP for the week, so our drive each morning was a lot earlier and longer. Still - it was not bad - maybe 90 minutes each way. Cutler is tiny and remote, so an hour drive is reasonable. In July the sunrise is very early and it was full daylight by 5:00 AM. We were back to land after the shoot by noon. If you can, get a patch or medication for motion sickness. The water can be rough, and it's better to be prepared.

When you land, you move from the large boat to a small dingy to land on the island. Don't carry too much gear - if the boat is rocking you could end up in the water. I would not call that likely - but you are stepping off a moving boat to a wet rock landing. A dry bag or a backpack is useful. You will hand your gear to the crew to carry ashore. Be prepared for cool temperatures on the water. On a good day the water temperature is 60 degrees or less, and you are on the boat for more than an hour each way. Be sure to wear a hat - there are birds flying over your head.

I did get a spot in late July. If you bring a longer lens such as an 800mm pf for shots from the boat is there a place you can store the longer lens if you are fortunate enough to go on shore to the blinds? I was thinking a 800mm pf for the boat and a 100-400mm for the blind. Does that make sence?

I did get a spot in late July. If you bring a longer lens such as an 800mm pf for shots from the boat is there a place you can store the longer lens if you are fortunate enough to go on shore to the blinds? I was thinking a 800mm pf for the boat and a 100-400mm for the blind. Does that make sence?

I think the 100-400 is perfect for the blind. I plan on doing that, and bringing the 600 PF for the boat. The 800 is probably more than you need. I was happy with many of the shots with the 400 from the boat the last time. They will be in the water all around the boat, and flying close to the boat from every angle possible. IT's non-stop action. I'm sure it would be fine to leave your 800 on the boat if you brought it. It has a small cabin. I would have it in some sort of case/backpack though.

I got to take the trip to Machias Seal Island last summer and it was a blast. The former captain that led the tours from the USA side for years (Captain Andy) unfortunately passed away so I count myself lucky to have been one of his last tours. I'm interested to hear how your experience goes in the next era of captaincy.
I think the 100-400 is perfect for the blind. I plan on doing that, and bringing the 600 PF for the boat. The 800 is probably more than you need. I was happy with many of the shots with the 400 from the boat the last time. They will be in the water all around the boat, and flying close to the boat from every angle possible. IT's non-stop action. I'm sure it would be fine to leave your 800 on the boat if you brought it. It has a small cabin. I would have it in some sort of case/backpack though.
I do have the 600pf. Based on your experience I may take it instead of the 800mm.

A couple shots from my trip last year. I had a d500 with a 200-500 and wouldn't have wanted a different focal length personally. Having 1 zoom fit the bill to be versatile and deal with the tight quarters in the blinds.
Maine-418-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Maine-714-Edit.jpg
Maine-1006-Edit.jpg
Maine-153-Edit.jpg
Maine-579-Edit.jpg

Hi All
i am lucky in getting on this summer with my daughter. I am a Sony shooter and was going to bring my 200-600. But sounds like the 100-400 with 3ft minimum distance is in order. My daughter shoots Nikon what are the top recommendations for her Currently she has a 600 prime. The ramp in the video looks slippery what is the recommended footwear? Are metal spikes at the bottom of shoes suggested or is that more slippery?

Hi All
i am lucky in getting on this summer with my daughter. I am a Sony shooter and was going to bring my 200-600. But sounds like the 100-400 with 3ft minimum distance is in order. My daughter shoots Nikon what are the top recommendations for her Currently she has a 600 prime. The ramp in the video looks slippery what is the recommended footwear? Are metal spikes at the bottom of shoes suggested or is that more slippery?
I think a 100-400 possibly with a 1.4 TC is better for the close focus opportunity. I would not bring a 600mm lens at all - it's too long and the f/4 version is too big. The 600mm PF is going to be too long. The minimum focus is 16 feet or so, so you will miss all the closer subject matter. I'd want a minimum focus distance of 10 feet or so.

I did not find the ramp slippery. I would not use metal spikes of any kind - just normal treads for hiking or rocks - something not smooth that provides a little grip.

This was minimally cropped - 300mm on an APS-C camera. I removed the TC because I could not fit the head in the frame.
Machias Seal Is29158-20080708-2.jpg

This was with a 70-200mm lens at 90mm with an APS-C camera.
Machias Seal Is29190-20080708a.jpg

I think a 100-400 possibly with a 1.4 TC is better for the close focus opportunity. I would not bring a 600mm lens at all - it's too long and the f/4 version is too big. The 600mm PF is going to be too long. The minimum focus is 16 feet or so, so you will miss all the closer subject matter. I'd want a minimum focus distance of 10 feet or so.

I did not find the ramp slippery. I would not use metal spikes of any kind - just normal treads for hiking or rocks - something not smooth that provides a little grip.

This was minimally cropped - 300mm on an APS-C camera. I removed the TC because I could not fit the head in the frame.
View attachment 84379

This was with a 70-200mm lens at 90mm with an APS-C camera.
View attachment 84380
Fantastic shots thank you. I guess a 100-400 s lens is in her future or would the 70-200 be better with a teleconverter she has a z8

First-I hope you found lodging.

I went for my first visit last year on 6/22/23 - it was a Bluebird Day- and I’m hooked. It's a total immersion of sight and sound of a an amazing nature experience. This year I wanted to see them bringing in feed for the chicks, so I have two dates 7/10 and 7/24.

I have a suggestion. On the island was a lonely male Gannet on his nest looking for suitors. Because the Puffins and Razorbills will be plentiful and easily shot in any Blind- I will research which blind will give the best views of the Gannet I was in Blind 1 and had views of this beauty, but Blind 2 had better views. He was an unexpected gift.

And if your coming this way and your thinking about night skies- you should try to visit the Bold Coast Trail. It is one of the best spots for night sky photography. Not to mention, the 30-40 minute easy hike to the coast will give you the most spectacular coastal views in the state- bar none. You will not be disappointed. Amazing cliffs- aqua blue sea without the throngs of tourists clamouring in your shots. And . if you hike all the way out, there is a campsite that is a premiere night sky destination. Bold Coast Trail check this link.

As for Quoddy- it is not locked up at night. I've been there for Sunrises, but never at night. I don't believe it sb a problem.

And if it rains or is a heavy surf day- check out Jasper Beach in Machias. It's a stone beach and listening to the cascading polished stones is ethereal.

And lastly- if you stop in Acadia- Google Ravens Nest.- amazing views towards Cadillac especially at sunset. It's on the other Acadia on Schoodic Peninsula which is a great spot for stormy seas.

I shot my Z 9 and 100-400 and it was perfect for the Blinds. It's versatility for close tight shots was amazing, I would advise against using longer lens because of minimum focusing distances. You will not want to waste time swapping lenses. If you have two bodies, that's a different story. I did wish I had a longer lens when shooting from the boat- 400 just wasn't enough. I have the 800 PF and may bring it for the boat shots and change to the 100-400 when landing . BUT - I am considering getting the 180-600 if it becomes available before July.

You will not need a tripod or monopod. It takes up too much space and the openings will give you all the support you'll need.
I do have the 600pf. Based on your experience I may take it instead of the 800mm.

These were with theZ-9 with Nikkor 100-400

Attachments

• 1467B1E5-2956-485C-9300-FCEA96ABDA9A.jpeg
    1467B1E5-2956-485C-9300-FCEA96ABDA9A.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 26
  • untitled-718-Edit.jpeg
    untitled-718-Edit.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 27
  • untitled-575-Enhanced-NR-2.jpeg
    untitled-575-Enhanced-NR-2.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 3F70DEB4-15ED-4E4A-9A1C-78864831A2DD.jpeg
    3F70DEB4-15ED-4E4A-9A1C-78864831A2DD.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 22
Fantastic shots thank you. I guess a 100-400 s lens is in her future or would the 70-200 be better with a teleconverter she has a z8
I found a 70-200 a little short - it works but can be limiting. If you own it already it would be fine with the 1.4 or 2x TC. You never know exactly how far away your bird will be. A used 300mm f/4 AFS is ideal and provides close minimum focus at a fraction of the cost of the 100-400 if this is the only expected use. A 100-400 would certainly work very well.

Back