Madagascar trip - to teleconvert or not to teleconvert?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all! Heading on a 2 week trip to Madagascar at the start of July and I'm looking for advice on gear to bring. I've done several mainland African safaris and I love a 200-500mm or 600mm lens for big game, but Madagascar is going to involve lots of walking and hiking and mostly photographing lemurs in dense forest. I don't want to schlep a long lens this time, so I am planning to bring a Nikon Z8 paired with the Z 70-200 2.8 (I'll have a separate Z50 with a macro lens for small stuff). My question is: should I plan to bring a 1.4x TC as well to attach to my 70-200? Or just stick with the 70-200 and crop afterwards?

I certainly have the packing space but I don't own a teleconverter and would have to rent one, which is why I'm curious as to what people think would be the best move. On the one hand, I'm worried that 200mm is too short for wildlife, especially small lemurs potentially far away. On the other hand, I cannot imagine that putting on and taking off a teleconverter repeatedly would be convenient, and obviously there's the light/sharpness penalty. Would love some thoughts from people who have been to Madagascar or just have photographed small wildlife with a "shorter" telephoto lens no necessarily meant for wildlife. Thanks!

Zack

If you're concerned that 200mm might be too short, adding the 1.4TC is only going to get you another 80mm at f/4. Is a 100-400 an option for you? While it's a stop slower on the long end than the 70-200 with the 1.4TC, it will provide more reach and it's high quality glass.

Just a thought.

I just checked and the 100-400 (I'd need to rent) is only 1.8lbs lighter than the 200-500 (which I own) and the same aperture for the longer end of the range. At that point, would you recommend that I just bring the 200-500 instead of the 70-200? Or bring both and leave the wider lens I was also planning to take (24-50) at home?

I just checked and the 100-400 (I'd need to rent) is only 1.8lbs lighter than the 200-500 (which I own) and the same aperture for the longer end of the range. At that point, would you recommend that I just bring the 200-500 instead of the 70-200? Or bring both and leave the wider lens I was also planning to take (24-50) at home?
At one time I owned both lenses. Given the trip you describe, lugging the 200-500 around would be unpleasant, to say the least. The 100-400, while not svelte, would be worth consideration. Of course you'd need to get one in your hands and determine if its weight is feasible for you.

Good tip, thank you! I've never held a 100-400, but I live right outside NYC so maybe I'll stop by B&H this weekend to feel what it's like in the hands. And you think that would be a preferable alternative to the 70-200? Or bring both lenses?

Hi all! Heading on a 2 week trip to Madagascar at the start of July and I'm looking for advice on gear to bring. I've done several mainland African safaris and I love a 200-500mm or 600mm lens for big game, but Madagascar is going to involve lots of walking and hiking and mostly photographing lemurs in dense forest. I don't want to schlep a long lens this time, so I am planning to bring a Nikon Z8 paired with the Z 70-200 2.8 (I'll have a separate Z50 with a macro lens for small stuff). My question is: should I plan to bring a 1.4x TC as well to attach to my 70-200? Or just stick with the 70-200 and crop afterwards?

I certainly have the packing space but I don't own a teleconverter and would have to rent one, which is why I'm curious as to what people think would be the best move. On the one hand, I'm worried that 200mm is too short for wildlife, especially small lemurs potentially far away. On the other hand, I cannot imagine that putting on and taking off a teleconverter repeatedly would be convenient, and obviously there's the light/sharpness penalty. Would love some thoughts from people who have been to Madagascar or just have photographed small wildlife with a "shorter" telephoto lens no necessarily meant for wildlife. Thanks!

Zack
The lemurs and some of the large chameleons aren't far away, you can get them with a cell phone so doesn't matter what lens, they'll all get something. In those days, no cell phone cameras but I got photos of them with just some random toy camera with no long lenses. I think my buddies who were in charge of the raptor photography had 600mm kits. If and when I ever return, even though I'm relatively small, I'd at least have the 400mm. Definitely a teleconverter too. I wish I could join you. Would love to return one day.

Last edited:
Have you considered the 400mm f/4.5 and perhaps a TC 1.4 with that too? It would be complimented well with the 70-200mm also, if you want the entire range...
Yeah, this. I should have read the other replies before I replied. I am a small person and I have this kit. Now I was in Madagascar in 2007 but I am completely convinced if I could return, this lens would perform beautifully. I'm just a beginner, and the 400mm f/4.5 + 1.4TC light to walk with, gives you a lot of reach, and works brilliantly with the z7ii & z8, the only cameras I have experience with so far... If you are photographing birds, the 70-200mm seems a bit short...

Good tip, thank you! I've never held a 100-400, but I live right outside NYC so maybe I'll stop by B&H this weekend to feel what it's like in the hands. And you think that would be a preferable alternative to the 70-200? Or bring both lenses?
If you have the 100-400 no need for the 70-200, in my opinion. Others might suggest the 400 f/4.5, instead. It’s lighter still, but without focal range flexibility.

These kind of decisions always involve tradeoffs. There will be more points of view expressed here. Think it through. Get your hands on the relevant options, if possible. Then make your decision. The most important thing is to enjoy your trip and photos you’ll get!

• I don't want to schlep a long lens this time.
  • I'm worried that 200 mm is too short for wildlife.
  • Should I plan to bring a 1.4x TC to attach to my 70–200? Or crop afterwards?
Zack…

As I understand the situation, your enviable dilemma presents you with the following options:
  • Option One : Default
    • 70–200 f/2.8
    • crop on your computer
  • Option Two : 1.4x TC
    • 70–200 f/2.8
    • 100–280 f/4
    • crop on your computer
  • Option Three : 2x TC
    • 70–200 f/2.8
    • 140–400 f/5.6
    • crop on your computer
I'd be tempted by the 2x TC in the absence of a 'long lens'.

… David

Last edited:
So many great replies and options - thank you! This just makes my decision harder, unfortunately! It seems like the overall consensus is that I really cannot go wrong no matter what, although I probably want something longer than 200mm and the 200-500 is definitely too heavy. Seems like a lens that gets me to the 300-400 range would be the sweet spot. I really appreciate all the input and now can spend the next 2 weeks frantically ruminating on what to do!

Whatever you choose, you'll get tons of pictures. If you go to Berenty, the lemurs will be coming in the windows... literally. They'll try to get in your vehicle too. It'll be a blast. I have a funny story about a ring-tailed lemur who tried to climb into my cabin & a lady with the Japanese photo tour from another cottage all but climbed in too for the shot... It was hilarious.

There is a lot of small life in Madagascar, insects, frogs and chameleons for example. The MFD of the 100-400 will be beneficial if you are not taking a macro.

Chameleons often come out at night, so some form of illumination would be useful.

A zoom will be useful for lemurs as they sometimes move closer than the MFD of the 400 /4.5.

Your trip sounds like an ideal use case for the lower weight and versatility of the 100-400, and that is what I would take if I was fortunate enough to go again.

Have a great trip!

I have both the 70-200 and 400mm f4.5. I would consider using a 2x tc with the 200 it does ok with that tc. However the 400 f4.5 is an absolutely wonderful and really light lens. I have used these two lenses together carrying both using blackrapid straps and two bodies. Never bothered with a tc and got great results.

if you can swing bringing both the 70-200 and 400 on the trip you will Have some great tools to work with.

Or bring me along I will be you’d sherpa:):):):):)

I’ve not been to Madagascar, although I hope to go some day. You mention lemurs will be in dense forest. Sounds like light levels will be low. A faster lens might be nice. The Z 70-200 and Z 400 f4.5 would be good for that. I’d throw in a Z 1.4x TC that would give you more reach, if needed. I find it works well with either lens.

I’d be tempted to take the Z 400 TC (used it on a recent trip to Botswana), but it’s not a hiking lens.

The 400 f4.5 has high IQ and crops well fi you need more reach out to 600mm or so.

I have used the 400 with an 800mm PF and with that combination I have not bothered with a
TC. The 400 covers everything short of 800. Similarly when shooting with the 70-200 and 400 I again rely on cropping to secure extra reach and I have not found it necessary to Involve a TC. Of course when I say crop I include the option of switching to DX.

You do lose aperture when you add a tc and in low light situations you are probably better off keeping the wider aperture.

The point is that the Z 70-200 f2.8 is one of the highest IQ zooms in this range made by anyone. The 400mm f4.5 is also a lens that combines super high IQ with extreme compact and lightweight design as well as a decently wide aperture. No, it is not f2.8 like the big boy 400mm f2.8 tc but it is far more easy to use.

Before I bought longer focal lengths the 400 was my longest lens. I found the 400 cropped very well even when using the 1.4x tc. I was able to get great detail on small birds even where cropping up to 70%. I now have a functioning bird feeder at home and I reach for the 400 as a first choice. However, in the open and in the field the 800 is my first choice.

I think the ideal situation would be to carry both the 70-200 and 400 f4.5 on a walk. I did that with two Z9’s carrying one on each hip using Blackrapid shoulder straps. I was able to walk all day that way, did not bother with a tripod or monopod and did well.

I recently got a Holdfast Moneymaker dual camera strap and I have been playing around with it and find it also comfortable. They have a system where you can secure the lens/camera against your belt which helps prevent it from swinging around making an even more comfortable carry.

I would recommend checking out carrying straps. The Blackrapid works really well as a single strap, I tried the dual strap but it gets unbalanced when you are carrying two cameras and pick one up.

So many great replies and options - thank you! This just makes my decision harder, unfortunately! It seems like the overall consensus is that I really cannot go wrong no matter what, although I probably want something longer than 200mm and the 200-500 is definitely too heavy. Seems like a lens that gets me to the 300-400 range would be the sweet spot. I really appreciate all the input and now can spend the next 2 weeks frantically ruminating on what to do!
I went 8 years ago (pre-mirrorless) and brought two D500s and used a 70-200mm f/4 (sometimes with 1.4 TC) and a 300mm f/4 (sometimes with the 1.4TC). Also had a macro lens (the Tampon 90mm f/2.8). So very lightweight setup. We did a fair amount of hiking up and down hills. My lenses used in each shot are listed in my Flickr album. Some subjects will be closer, some further. But lots of opportunities and a fantastic place so you will have a great time!
My album if interested:

PS. If I was going today with mirrorless, I would go with the 400mm f/4.5 (with the 1.4TC as needed), the 70-180mm f/2.8 and a macro lens.

Last edited:
Rwad all the comments before answering. I’ve got the 70-200 and the only time I take it is if I really need the 2.8 and 280 on the long end is enough (the latter is seldom true for me). Personally I would rent or buy either the 100-400 or 180-600 and take it and the TC…but since weight is important would probably take the 100-400 and the TC. While the TC on that lens isn’t as good as the longer zoom or the prime with the TC…it’s more than good enough. I will gladly use the TC on any of the Z lenses and would even use the 2.0 in good light if I couldn’t get closer. I’ve got ll the lenses mentioned in this thread as well as the 600PF and I take what seems most appropriate for the trip or outing…and it depends on car vs air to get there and whether my bride is coming and I can use part of her backpack.

In your situation..I would take the 600PF, 100-400, and 24-70 for landscapes along with 2x Z8 and the 1.4TC annd extension tubes for macro use and probably just a monopod for support but would mostly handhold. The 100-400 focuses to 0.38x as I recall (MFD is close)…so a 10mm tube gets close enough for macro for me. The bare lens will fill the frame in landscape orientation with an object 5 inches +/- tall. If I thought that there would be enough macro to make focus stacking worth it I would carry a travel tripod for that.

As wotan1 said…the 70-200 is about the sharpest ever in that range…but to be honest other than bokeh the ‘better’ is mostly only noticeable at 2:1 in LR…at reasonable print sizes viewed t normal viewing distance or any on screen display size the bokeh difference is about the only thing you will see. I agree that primes and no TC are ‘better’ than zooms or TC used…but better is the enemy of good enough and also the better usually means heavier, harder to schlep around, and less flexible overall.

Last edited:

Zack
Just keep in mind your intended subjects - many lemurs are small and elusive, so despite the extra weight, I'd want to bring along a long lens of some type. At the very least, take a TC, even if you rent one.

I went 8 years ago (pre-mirrorless) and brought two D500s and used a 70-200mm f/4 (sometimes with 1.4 TC) and a 300mm f/4 (sometimes with the 1.4TC). Also had a macro lens (the Tampon 90mm f/2.8). So very lightweight setup. We did a fair amount of hiking up and down hills. My lenses used in each shot are listed in my Flickr album. Some subjects will be closer, some further. But lots of opportunities and a fantastic place so you will have a great time!
My album if interested:

PS. If I was going today with mirrorless, I would go with the 400mm f/4.5 (with the 1.4TC as needed), the 70-180mm f/2.8 and a macro lens.
That Tampon 90mm must have been essential for heavy days! 🤣

Went to Madagascar in 2023. It was a fantastic trip. My most used equipment was a Z8 and a 100-400 lens and my 14Pro iPhone. I also did a few photos with the 400 prime + a 1.4 TC, but most of the time the others were totally adequate. The iPhone was used for people close and far and landscapes but also for close critters including chameleons since they more slowly and you can get close to them.

(I tried to post a few photos but I'm not sure how to get the files small enough. I was offering jpg's.)

Back