Madagascar trip - to teleconvert or not to teleconvert?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Spent a month there a few years ago. I went for the birds, my wife for the lemurs. We both came away with the people being our number one remembrance. The lemurs are almost always easily seen in the daylight. The mouse lemurs only at night in the forest. The guides will find them for you, amazing, and try to light them up. For the most part their flashlights are not optimal. Bring your own excellent bright flashlight (Ledlenser). Most of the birds are easily photographed, however some are up high in the trees (long lens). Some chameleons in the daylight, some out at night (flashlight). But you will never stop taking pictures of the people, and the children, all just amazing.

Thanks, everyone, for the great input and advice! You've all gotten me incredibly excited to travel. After reading all the comments and watching a few comparison videos, I decided to rent the 100-400 - it seems like the 400 4.5 is a bit sharper, but I think I'll appreciate the zoom flexibility more, and the 100-400 range almost negates the need to bring a 70-200 at all. In the darkness of the jungles I cannot see myself using a TC and losing a further stop of light, but the Z8 has far more pixels than I need, anyway, and so I am comfortable just cropping if I need a bit more reach. Again, I so appreciate all the comments!

Back