Magee Marsh - Any tips for a first-timer? (going in May '24)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'll be interested how the Plena might perform in this environment. I'm trying to find a reason to get one! LOL!
Karen, if our timing somehow can overlap, you're welcome to borrow mine and try it out. I think you'll be impressed by the magic it creates when your wildlife subject isn't too far away! It's become my 'money lens' for people/event shoots, but I also thoroughly enjoy it for close-up birds (my pet finches, through kitchen window) and butterflies.

Karen, if our timing somehow can overlap, you're welcome to borrow mine and try it out. I think you'll be impressed by the magic it creates when your wildlife subject isn't too far away! It's become my 'money lens' for people/event shoots, but I also thoroughly enjoy it for close-up birds (my pet finches, through kitchen window) and butterflies.
Thank you! I'm sure several of us will be there about the same time. No easy way to recognize each other - I will not be wearing my internet outfit......! :ROFLMAO:

OK.......since our fearless leaders are not (yet?) offering T Shirts (V necks for ladies?) or caps so we can recognize each other when out shooting, I will wear a light colored tan T shirt I had made many years ago. I've never worn it..... :oops: On the back is my avatar. And on the sleeve is a small clown face.

If it is cool and I'm wearing a jacket.....I guess you will just have to take your chances approaching ladies wearing a light tan T shirt!

Reactions: TRW
AJ, based on the discussion here, I agree. I'm thinking one prime (400 or 500) and one zoom (hopefully a 70-200 or 100-400).

I'll be there on Wed, May 1 (if weather is good), or Fri pm May 3 (if May 1 is a wash-out), or if I'm lucky, both dates. Happy to meet up with anyone else that will be there. If there is a chance of a meet-up, should we wear some kind of identifying BCG garb to make it easier to spot each other? Or connect prior, exchange mobile numbers and set up a group chat the day of?
Carmel I'd be happy to meet up with you. I'm a member of the Black Swamp Bird Observatory and they may have some insight into bird activity. But as far as I know May 1 is the best date although I haven't checked lately. I don't mind sharing phone numbers.

Jim, that sounds great! I'll be arriving the evening of 4/30, and need to scurry off for work activities by mid-afternoon on Wednesday 5/1, but that gives the morning (as early as we can come in) through mid-day to experience this amazing place. I can't wait! :p

Carmel just a suggestion on your plan on taking two cameras. Keep in mind that hiking the boardwalk, fighting the crowds while photographing these warblers is fairly vigorous . It's bad enough with one camera. If you take two cameras the first day I guarantee you won't take two the second day.

I will be there the same time as you. In addition, since I live only about 90 minutes away, I plan to do 1 or 2 visits the week of April 29.
Some pics from previous years: https://www.billnaimanphotography.com/p519552642
Great photos Bill and a wonderful reference as well. If you're 90 minutes away you may be from the Cleveland area like me. I plan on driving out one or two times myself. Do you mind meeting up?

Back