Magee Marsh - Any tips for a first-timer? (going in May '24)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My wife and I have gone every year since 2016, braved the crowds, enjoyed the birds and took LOTS of photos. After the first time at Magee we decided we would either go up the week before or the week after the Biggest Week in American Birding, which I see is May 3-12 2024. We don't like the crowds much so last year we started in mid-April and ended the warbler wave at the end of June. We camp at Maumee Bay State Park and usually stay Monday through Thursday each week. Boardwalk and campground much less crowded at these times. Since the birds come through at different times you can see a great variety this way. If you do stay in the campground or lodge explore some of the walking trails. We say more warblers in the campground last year that we did at Magee Marsh. We also try to visit with the same schedule during the falll migration. The area around Magee has great places to bird and large varieties of species. You can see just about anything Ohio and Lake Erie has to offer in these areas.

I looked at our photos and we have had great luck with zooms and prime lenses. We used Sony gear last year and had good success with 100-400 and 200-600 Sony lenses. Now that we are back with Nikon we will be using primes again. Nikon z9 and z8s with 400mm f/4.5, 500mm f/5.6, 600mm f/6.3 are the primary weapons of choice now. The primes, although you can't get quite as close allow you to stay back from the crowds a little bit and usually the birds will come to you. Patience is always a good thing at Magee and generally most folks are pretty accommodating so you can get good looks and photos almost everywhere. I wouldn't take a 600mm f/4 or the 800mm f/6.3 since they are big when on the boardwalk and just limit your flexibility, at least in my experience. Off the boardwalk and around other areas bigger is always better!

For good lighting I like the back side of the boardwalk for the evening light as do many other photographers. Howard Marsh, on the west side, is great for long lenses and scopes in the morning if you want waterfowl. Howard Marsh East is great also for the evening light and again for waterfowl. Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge has many walking paths and is a good place to get away from the crowds and see waterfowl.

Sometimes it's just nice to relax and watch the birds instead of trying for that perfect shot. They will come to you at times you may not expect. Best of all, enjoy yourself! Next year you'll have a better idea of when and where you want to go.

View attachment 83072
We will be camping at Maumee, too!

Lots of great birding at Magee and neighboring marshes, Sheldon, Howard, Ottowa, are all super productive during the migration. Last few hears tripods were verboten on the boardwalk but monopods were fine. I’m planning to be there on and off during the migration and will be there for the Big Week. BTW optics alley at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory during the big week is a super place to try and compare optics.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    693.1 KB · Views: 16
Some rambling notes on Magee. I live about 90 minutes away so it is a relatively easy outing.
- Try to avoid weekends if at all possible.
- For the last few years, tripods on the boardwalk must be used as monopods. I find hand held shooting to be best since subjects move frequently, can be at eye level, 5-20 ft above eye level, to your right, left, and rear.
- I try to make 4 boardwalk passes each day I am there. 2 are in the early morning light before the crowds thicken. 2 are in the late afternoon light after crowds lessen. Late afternoon light can be surprisingly good.
- For the two passes in the AM and PM, I can return to my car in between the passes to switch lenses if I think it will be helpful.
- During the crowded times, I walk the lake trail as well as visit Metzger, Ottawa, Sheldon, etc... as mentioned by others earlier in this topic
- I have not found any particular lens to be the optimal lens. Birds can be within a few feet or far enough the even the 800PF won't fill the frame
- If you are able to carry two cameras, that can be a big help, pairing your longest lens ( up to 500mm -> 800mm) and a zoom that has a shorter minimum focus distance, like to 100-400 or 70-200. The 180-600, based on its quality and versatility is a good single lens option. If you can carry a two camera load with the 180-600 and 800, go for it. I did some off boardwalk trails with that load and the range of coverage came in handy.
- The foliage will vary during the peak migration period. Earlier during the peak migration when there is less leaf prominence, it will be easier to isolate subjects, but there are fewer birds. Once the area has leafed out significantly, there are more birds, but shots are more difficult.
- Here's a link to a gallery I have which contains images from the migration period. All images are from the areas discussed in the this topic. Most images were from Magee, even though the image name does not include "Magee".

Some rambling notes on Magee. I live about 90 minutes away so it is a relatively easy outing.
- For the last few years, tripods on the boardwalk must be used as monopods. I find hand held shooting to be best since subjects move frequently, can be at eye level, 5-20 ft above eye level, to your right, left, and rear.
- I try to make 4 boardwalk passes each day I am there. 2 are in the early morning light before the crowds thicken. 2 are in the late afternoon light after crowds lessen. Late afternoon light can be surprisingly good.
- For the two passes in the AM and PM, I can return to my car in between the passes to switch lenses if I think it will be helpful.
- During the crowded times, I walk the lake trail as well as visit Metzger, Ottawa, Sheldon, etc... as mentioned by others earlier in this topic
- I have not found any particular lens to be the optimal lens. Birds can be within a few feet or far enough the even the 800PF won't fill the frame
- If you are able to carry two cameras, that can be a big help, pairing your longest lens ( up to 500mm -> 800mm) and a zoom that has a shorter minimum focus distance, like to 100-400 or 70-200. The 180-600, based on its quality and versatility is a good single lens option. If you can carry a two camera load with the 180-600 and 800, go for it. I did some off boardwalk trails with that load and the range of coverage came in handy.
- The foliage will vary during the peak migration period. Earlier during the peak migration when there is less leaf prominence, it will be easier to isolate subjects, but there are fewer birds. Once the area has leafed out significantly, there are more birds, but shots are more difficult.
- Here's a link to a gallery I have which contains images from the migration period. All images are from the areas discussed in the this topic. Most images were from Magee, even though the image name does not include "Magee".
I really enjoyed your gallery! Delightful images!

I went for the first time a couple of years ago, the first part of May, and one week before the "Big Week." It was already crowded (more than I would've thought) and at times difficult to position oneself to get a good photo. You can't take a tripod anymore, so you're limited to a monopod. I had just switched from Nikon to the Canon R5/RF100-500 and I was literally just learning the function of that camera when I went. That said, I found the 100-500 to be more than adequate for 90% of my shots. Some eagles were nesting there that I might've gotten better with an 800mm, but apart from that, what you're contemplating taking should be adequate. I don't know where you are coming from, but I came from Greenville, SC, and I was surprised at how cold it was there the first week of May--so pack warm clothes--you may need them. The wind coming off Lake Erie is brutal. Just down the road a mile or so is the Ottawa NWR, another great birding site, and an 800mm could come in handy there. Pack a lunch--you're pretty far from anything at Magee Marsh/Ottawa NWR, and it's a good drive back to a place where you can get something to eat (I stayed in Oregon, OH--to the west of Magee Marsh). The warblers weren't as plentiful as some have claimed when I went, but I still got some fantastic shots of yellow, black and blue, yellow-rumped, and magnolia warblers. Plus, assorted other wading birds/small birds. Good luck and good shooting!

I went for the first time a couple of years ago, the first part of May, and one week before the "Big Week." It was already crowded (more than I would've thought) and at times difficult to position oneself to get a good photo. You can't take a tripod anymore, so you're limited to a monopod. I had just switched from Nikon to the Canon R5/RF100-500 and I was literally just learning the function of that camera when I went. That said, I found the 100-500 to be more than adequate for 90% of my shots. Some eagles were nesting there that I might've gotten better with an 800mm, but apart from that, what you're contemplating taking should be adequate. I don't know where you are coming from, but I came from Greenville, SC, and I was surprised at how cold it was there the first week of May--so pack warm clothes--you may need them. The wind coming off Lake Erie is brutal. Just down the road a mile or so is the Ottawa NWR, another great birding site, and an 800mm could come in handy there. Pack a lunch--you're pretty far from anything at Magee Marsh/Ottawa NWR, and it's a good drive back to a place where you can get something to eat (I stayed in Oregon, OH--to the west of Magee Marsh). The warblers weren't as plentiful as some have claimed when I went, but I still got some fantastic shots of yellow, black and blue, yellow-rumped, and magnolia warblers. Plus, assorted other wading birds/small birds. Good luck and good shooting!
Charlie, I'm not sure to what year you are referring, but I do agree that about 3 years ago it was exceptionally chilly with a biting wind from the north. And, yes, that year the migrants, for the most part, were late in coming north. Most likely they still were further south and waiting for more favorable winds for their flight over Lake Erie.

A down side that happens most every year, is that the larger population arrives concurrent with some sustained warmer weather, foliage emergence, and insect activity. The thicker foliage does make subject isolation more challenging.

Charlie, I'm not sure to what year you are referring, but I do agree that about 3 years ago it was exceptionally chilly with a biting wind from the north. And, yes, that year the migrants, for the most part, were late in coming north. Most likely they still were further south and waiting for more favorable winds for their flight over Lake Erie.

A down side that happens most every year, is that the larger population arrives concurrent with some sustained warmer weather, foliage emergence, and insect activity. The thicker foliage does make subject isolation more challenging.
I went in May (4, 5, 6) 2022; as I recall we were there just under a week before the big week. It was cold/rainy all three days. I think we saw the sun peek through just a few times. I know an avid birder here locally who is originally from the Toledo area and he said it was always hit or miss--he said he rarely got there at "peak" times. He said a better place is in Canada almost due north of Magee Marsh--I forgot the name of the place but he said that was always more fruitful (for him) in spotting a multitude of warblers.

Ed, thank you for your photo and experiences. I had no idea there was a thing called "Biggest Week in American Birding", but there's a website for it and everything. Wow!
BWIAB link

I'm now convinced - I'll plan a Wednesday visit vs a Friday pm/Saturday outing during 1st week of May.eWe have been to Magee Marsh several times.
I'm excited to be visiting Magee Marsh in Ohio for the first time for May migration (on 5/3 and possibly 5/4, a bit early but that's the timing I've got), and have gleaned helpful insights from Bill Majoros' book ("The Birds of Magee Marsh"). Based on tips in that book, I'm planning to skip the 800mm f/6.3 and instead bring my 400mm f/4.5 (with 1.4x TC 'just in case'). If I had a 600mm, that might be better ... or would it?

I've seen a number of BCG threads mention Magee, but none that have "tips for the first timer" type of advice. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on where to spend time (are the boardwalks the best bet for birds, vs other areas?), and on your thoughts on lens choice. I'm a bit cautious about whether the 8 foot MFD for the 400 4.5 may be a limiting factor...is that valid, or not a worry in your experience?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and kind advice!

we have been to Magee probably 5 times over the years. Used a D500 with 150-600 several times and last two times D500 with 500PF and also 500PF with TC1.4eiii. Missed a few shots due to bird being too close but really not many. Needed the 500mm most of the time. Suggest you check into the Ottawa wildlife drive that is auto tour through areas to the refuge that are normally closed

I went in May (4, 5, 6) 2022; as I recall we were there just under a week before the big week. It was cold/rainy all three days. I think we saw the sun peek through just a few times. I know an avid birder here locally who is originally from the Toledo area and he said it was always hit or miss--he said he rarely got there at "peak" times. He said a better place is in Canada almost due north of Magee Marsh--I forgot the name of the place but he said that was always more fruitful (for him) in spotting a multitude of warblers.
Pt Pelee National Park is the Canadian equivalent on the other side of the lake.

Is visiting Pt Pelee worth a day trip?
We, my spouse and I, don't have a lot of experience. We went to both places last year for our first time. I would say that the trip was definitely worth it, but not for a single day. We spent 5 days at Pt. Pelee and about 7 days at Magee. Easy t to do if you have the time. We saw a greater variety at Pt. Pelee, but we got closer to the birds at Magee. At Magee the trees are not as tall and the birds seem to be more concentrated. At Pt. Pelee, the trees were taller and a little more spread out, but greater variety. I can't say this is in general or not, because of our limited experience. If you are going for only 3-4 days, it will be an overwhelming experience. We are probably going back this year, but haven't decided for sure yet.

We, my spouse and I, don't have a lot of experience. We went to both places last year for our first time. I would say that the trip was definitely worth it, but not for a single day. We spent 5 days at Pt. Pelee and about 7 days at Magee. Easy t to do if you have the time. We saw a greater variety at Pt. Pelee, but we got closer to the birds at Magee. At Magee the trees are not as tall and the birds seem to be more concentrated. At Pt. Pelee, the trees were taller and a little more spread out, but greater variety. I can't say this is in general or not, because of our limited experience. If you are going for only 3-4 days, it will be an overwhelming experience. We are probably going back this year, but haven't decided for sure yet.
We are camping. If I had known, I could have made reservations and done something similar. Next year..... ;)

Yes, you have to approach Magee as a "festival," and if you aren't ok with crowds of birders it won't be fun.
Unless they have changed the rules, on the boardwalks tripods are only permitted in a very small area, otherwise no. So as others have said, handheld is really the way to go. View attachment 83052
We went last year for the first time. We found the "crowds" along the boardwalk in limited areas and not the entire walkway. The walkway is over a mile with some loops and side split off's. The crowds and volunteer guides were helpful in that they were able to point out specific hard-to-spot birds and were generally very polite. The nesting Am. Woodcock we saw wouldn't have been possible without the crowd!

I'm excited to be visiting Magee Marsh in Ohio for the first time for May migration (on 5/3 and possibly 5/4, a bit early but that's the timing I've got), and have gleaned helpful insights from Bill Majoros' book ("The Birds of Magee Marsh"). Based on tips in that book, I'm planning to skip the 800mm f/6.3 and instead bring my 400mm f/4.5 (with 1.4x TC 'just in case'). If I had a 600mm, that might be better ... or would it?

I've seen a number of BCG threads mention Magee, but none that have "tips for the first timer" type of advice. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on where to spend time (are the boardwalks the best bet for birds, vs other areas?), and on your thoughts on lens choice. I'm a bit cautious about whether the 8 foot MFD for the 400 4.5 may be a limiting factor...is that valid, or not a worry in your experience?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and kind advice!
I've been at Magee for years and years. The year 2023 was the worst I've seen in years. The whole month of May was cold wind out of the northwest and more cold wind out of the northeast. This virtually shut the door on anything flying north. Now that said there some birds that made it there. I got a few images but you could work the entire boardwalk and NOT see a bird all morning. Or a Palm or Pronthonotary might bop out in front of you for a second or two. I don't want you folks to get excited about coming then get dissapointed when the weather is crap. Cold and windy. Its best to begin to look at weather patterns before leaving for Magee. Do not beleve the hipe coming from the commerical establishments on weather patterns. I use eith a 300mm F:4 or a 200-500mm F:5.6 AF and either a D810 or D800E wit SB-910 fill flash. Here are a coupe a images from last year.

Attachments

• 1942.jpg
    1942.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1946 - Copy.jpg
    1946 - Copy.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 1945 - Copy.jpg
    1945 - Copy.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1943.jpg
    1943.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1950.jpg
    1950.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
I've been at Magee for years and years. The year 2023 was the worst I've seen in years. The whole month of May was cold wind out of the northwest and more cold wind out of the northeast. This virtually shut the door on anything flying north. Now that said there some birds that made it there. I got a few images but you could work the entire boardwalk and NOT see a bird all morning. Or a Palm or Pronthonotary might bop out in front of you for a second or two. I don't want you folks to get excited about coming then get dissapointed when the weather is crap. Cold and windy. Its best to begin to look at weather patterns before leaving for Magee. Do not beleve the hipe coming from the commerical establishments on weather patterns. I use eith a 300mm F:4 or a 200-500mm F:5.6 AF and either a D810 or D800E wit SB-910 fill flash. Here are a coupe a images from last year.
Lovely images, Larry!

I plan to arrive there early in the morning. But - how easy is it to find a parking place mid-day or late afternoon?

I have been considering going as well and appreciate your advice. The photos on your website are superb.

Back