Male ostrich displaying

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Breeding season in the Kgalagadi TFP. The ostriches perform with a lot of wing-swaying and flapping and chasing other males. This one was proudly displaying is black and white wings.
02019W D850 7910.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

02086W D850 7928.jpg

01218W D500 9290 1.jpg

Thanks Koos, they sure can dance!
You just had to say that! We were in Florida, USA on vacation in January and visited Lion Country Safari https://www.lioncountrysafari.com/
Wifey and I had my 3.5 year old granddaughter with us in the car when we came upon an ostrich couple. I stopped the car so we could watch them. The female then squatted down and started swaying to and fro on the ground while the male was displaying and swaying behind her.

Granddaughter: "Ouma, what are they doing?" Wife: "They're dancing". Next thing the male gets on top and they start doing it. Granddaughter: "Wow, they are really good at dancing!" And "The big one is on top of the little one. Isn't that silly?". We still laugh about that when we play the video that I shot of the occasion with the little kid providing background commentary. :ROFLMAO:

You just had to say that! We were in Florida, USA on vacation in January and visited Lion Country Safari https://www.lioncountrysafari.com/
Wifey and I had my 3.5 year old granddaughter with us in the car when we came upon an ostrich couple. I stopped the car so we could watch them. The female then squatted down and started swaying to and fro on the ground while the male was displaying and swaying behind her.

Granddaughter: "Ouma, what are they doing?" Wife: "They're dancing". Next thing the male gets on top and they start doing it. Granddaughter: "Wow, they are really good at dancing!" And "The big one is on top of the little one. Isn't that silly?". We still laugh about that when we play the video that I shot of the occasion with the little kid providing background commentary. :ROFLMAO:
Koos, from the mouths of children! . . .
I have never seen them mating, only dancing!

Back