Mark smith Z9 first impression video

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Video with the 100-400 on the Z9 is very impressive. Can't speak to other glass as its the only lens I have right now :) but the stabilization works great handheld
I tried video inside the house this AM with my dogs using the Z105 macro lens and I concur, its pretty amazing.

i do find it interesting there isn’t more commenting on how well they did with the video in the z9. canon had to stuff that fan in the r5c and has battery capacity limitations, etc.

i agree - for me video, especially with Z lenses is the clear stand-out for the z9 and it's almost glanced over. That level of image quality, no overheating and handheld stability is pretty unique. If I wasn't shooting 95% stills and 5% video, it would absolutely capture my attention.

i agree - for me video, especially with Z lenses is the clear stand-out for the z9 and it's almost glanced over. That level of image quality, no overheating and handheld stability is pretty unique. If I wasn't shooting 95% stills and 5% video, it would absolutely capture my attention.

I was probably 99.5% stills and 0.5% video prior to the Z9.
Last weekend I was probably 85% stills, 15% video :)
I see that trend continuing. I really love that 4k 120fps 2.3x crop option.

Yeah he told me the same when I met him a couple weeks ago. I brought up his video about his journey to Sony and how it hit home for me as I had a similar experience. He said he received a lot of negative feedback and hate for doing that video. People are just crazy!

I think that was one of the very best videos he's ever done and it helped me with my switch from Nikon to Sony. As you said, people are just crazy!

‘He once told me that he was harassed and threatened when he published his negative review of the500pf so I think he will be extremely cautious on what he says and how he says it.
I believe it because a lot of crazies out there and it seems the tribal band wars tend to bring them out from under the woodwork. But seriously, harassing and threatening someone because they didn't like a camera or lens a person owns? That has to be some form of mental illness and the person(s) doing it really should seek professional help..

I believe it because a lot of crazies out there and it seems the tribal band wars tend to bring them out from under the woodwork. But seriously, harassing and threatening someone because they didn't like a camera or lens a person owns? That has to be some form of mental illness and the person(s) doing it really should seek professional help..

this seems to be a huge issue these days, and not limited to your camera selection.

I wouldn't say suck - I get beautiful 4K footage on tripod but handheld isn't pretty :)
Off topic so if PM is best could you share the settings you use or any links for simply setup? I am new to Sony and have never done any video but would like to experiment. I feel overwhelmed every time I try to figure out how to set it up. I also know nothing about post on this so if you have something that can just fly straight out of camera, that would really help. TIA!

Off topic so if PM is best could you share the settings you use or any links for simply setup? I am new to Sony and have never done any video but would like to experiment. I feel overwhelmed every time I try to figure out how to set it up. I also know nothing about post on this so if you have something that can just fly straight out of camera, that would really help. TIA!
Kansas in the house! I grew up in Wichita KS and visit family often. Do you ever come down to TX to shoot?

Well said and unfortunately true. I was out last night for a run with a friend/fellow photographer talking about some recent reviews and simply said, "what a great time to be a photographer". The technical quality of bodies and lenses these days is remarkable. It's understandable how we split hairs on their differences (that happens in every sphere of endeavour) but one really needs to be thankful for what we have access to these days...regardless of brand.

Kansas in the house! I grew up in Wichita KS and visit family often. Do you ever come down to TX to shoot?
Yes I Do! Love the SE ranches and the coast. Hoping to get to Aransas Pass for the whoppers and hill country for blue bells. I grew up in Ponca City. My folks lived in Rockport for 10 years before I began photography. Had a great experience at their rookery just before Covid **** stuff down. Started traveling in earnest last year again. So much to do, so many birds, so little time....

Yes I Do! Love the SE ranches and the coast. Hoping to get to Aransas Pass for the whoppers and hill country for blue bells. I grew up in Ponca City. My folks lived in Rockport for 10 years before I began photography. Had a great experience at their rookery just before Covid **** stuff down. Started traveling in earnest last year again. So much to do, so many birds, so little time....
Well if you ever want a tag along let me know :).I am outside of Dallas and will be heading down to Laguna Seca for the first time in May for a day to try it out. I also was thinking of hitting the coast for a day or two, any suggestions as to where to go? I had thought it would be cool for maybe next year to do a meet up of fellow BCG forum members at one of the SE ranches and coast for a 3 day weekend.

Well if you ever want a tag along let me know :).I am outside of Dallas and will be heading down to Laguna Seca for the first time in May for a day to try it out. I also was thinking of hitting the coast for a day or two, any suggestions as to where to go? I had thought it would be cool for maybe next year to do a meet up of fellow BCG forum members at one of the SE ranches and coast for a 3 day weekend.
I have been to Santa Clara but not Laguna Seca and would like to try it. The Rockport Beach has skimmers and others shore birds. The rookery is a busy place with all the attending issues with rookeries.. South Padre Island on the beach past the convention center has Reddish Egrets, skimmers and other shore birds. The birds didn't seem to mind my car as a blind but rather reluctant if I was out with tripod. And I went to The Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center in Port Aransas. When you first come in there is a perch set up for smaller birds that looked nice. I was there too late in the day for that. They are a wetlands with board walk arrangement. Bring a long lens....600mm with a 1.4. https://www.flickr.com/photos/149258189@N03/albums/72157714709437287

I have been to Santa Clara but not Laguna Seca and would like to try it. The Rockport Beach has skimmers and others shore birds. The rookery is a busy place with all the attending issues with rookeries.. South Padre Island on the beach past the convention center has Reddish Egrets, skimmers and other shore birds. The birds didn't seem to mind my car as a blind but rather reluctant if I was out with tripod. And I went to The Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center in Port Aransas. When you first come in there is a perch set up for smaller birds that looked nice. I was there too late in the day for that. They are a wetlands with board walk arrangement. Bring a long lens....600mm with a 1.4. https://www.flickr.com/photos/149258189@N03/albums/72157714709437287
Laguna Seca May 14th I will be alone. You are welcome to join.

Welll, darn. Ill be flying home that day from a San Juan Island fox shoot or I would. Many thanks for invite. Dang...good luck and looking forward to images.
If they decide to finally re-open the Sidney, BC to Friday Harbor ferry I may see you there!! That route of the ferry has been closed since Covid began. I was at the foxes in 2019 and had a blast. Two missed years has been too much.

Ain't that the truth!! In addition to there being so many crazies, they're running loose. You never know when they're going to get violent if they will. It can be like a firecracker with the fuze burned down... maybe nothing. But maybe BOOM!! It can be alarming.

Anyway, back to Mark Smith's video. The video of the GBH in the beginning was stellar, and the light and subject were to die for. He could have saved that for last and the video would have been better; he set the bar almost impossibly high right away, and even though the later video was good, it wasn't as good as the start. Either way, it is a very good video, and I look forward to more Z9 reviews from him.

Sorry for late answer - I have not forgotten your question but there is nothing truly useful out there so I need to compile what I have done for you and send it in PM (I pulled from mark Smith, Gerald Undone and a few others but it's far from perfect yet).

Sorry for late answer - I have not forgotten your question but there is nothing truly useful out there so I need to compile what I have done for you and send it in PM (I pulled from mark Smith, Gerald Undone and a few others but it's far from perfect yet).
Thank you! Whew!! I tried to find something and with zero knowledge base, I didnt find anything useful.

If they decide to finally re-open the Sidney, BC to Friday Harbor ferry I may see you there!! That route of the ferry has been closed since Covid began. I was at the foxes in 2019 and had a blast. Two missed years has been too much.
Lucky you to have a ferry and live that close. Lets hope your govt. Opens things up.

Back