Meet George

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
George is the largest gator at Wakodahatchee Wetlands at Delray Beach, Florida. He came gliding up to me when I was there doing some shooting last week.
He is quite an impressive specimen.

Z6II, Nikkor 200-500mm F/5.6, TC-14E III. 1/250 sec, F/8, ISO 220.

Z62_4140.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

George is the largest gator at Wakodahatchee Wetlands at Delray Beach, Florida. He came gliding up to me when I was there doing some shooting last week.

View attachment 36593
Yes you can tell by the breadth of his back that's a good sized gator.

I hope he is not as close to you as he looks! Or at least that you were on dry ground and not in the water. That is one great and spooky picture for us land lubbers in Idaho.

View attachment 36593
Nice pic Rassie,I love the golden light to the eye although a selfie with him would give us a better perspective of his size and possibly teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I hope he is not as close to you as he looks! Or at least that you were on dry ground and not in the water. That is one great and spooky picture for us land lubbers in Idaho.
Fortunately I was on a raised boardwalk. Image was shot at 500mm. The gator came so close that even when fully zoomed out (280mm) it would not fit in the frame.
Nice pic Rassie,I love the golden light to the eye although a selfie with him would give us a better perspective of his size and possibly teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Thanks, Kurt. We haven't met yet and already you're looking for ways to get rid of me? ;)
I'll have you know I'm not quite the bad person rumours indicate me to be. 😇

Last edited:
An awesome image! I would want the new 800 PF and a fresh Depends to try and get that shot!

And yet another reason why I like living in Minnesota! (other than it has been spitting snow all day!).

An awesome image! I would want the new 800 PF and a fresh Depends to try and get that shot!

And yet another reason why I like living in Minnesota! (other than it has been spitting snow all day!).
I hear you, my friend. I grew up in South Africa where 15-feet long Nile Crocodiles are not uncommon. Those guys are extra scary. After I emigrated to Canada I used to think little of alligators - viewed them as wannabes compared to the big African crocs. After seeing a couple of large ones in Florida (a 13-footer in the Everglades in 2018, and now Big George at 12 feet) I now have a healthy respect for them.

Back