Megadap ETZ21 on Sony 200-600 for Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It almost seems like Nikon's Lens Roadmap for the 200-600 hit a detour or dead-end. Does anyone want to share their opinions about using the Medadap ETZ21 with a Sony 200-600 on the Z9 if you have that combo?

I will raise my hand. I have this combination and I will vouch for it. It works great, works with all functions that I have tried. Since I received my Megadap adapter (directly from China) they have upgraded the firmware. The listed upgraded features did not seem all that important for my purposes so I have not done the upgrade, at least not yet. If it ain't broke . . .

Considering how slow Nikon has been in getting its new lenses to customers (I'm not angry, just disappointed), I am now very, very happy that I bought the Sony 200-600mm. It's a terrific lens.

I'd consider the adapter an option if you already own a Sony lens and want to use it occasionally on a Nikon body. For someone using two systems that could be useful. Normally AF speed and other electronics are compromised compared to the bare lens on the intended body. So I would not expect normal performance on a Z9 for fast action.

personally i wouldn’t do an adapted solution like this for a lens that’s on the roadmap unless i had a very acute need. the adapter sounds like it works ok, but stuff on the roadmap will show up and everything they’ve done has been really good
I'm in the same boat. I've been using my f-mount telephotos with the FTZII adapter on my Z9. This is working as well, if not better, than with my D850. It will do until the Z 200-600mm comes out, but I will probably pick up a 400mm f/4.5 along the way.

I just bought the Megadap ETZ21 for my Sony 200-600 and just tried it on my Z6ii. I am unable to get the shutter to release. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
It almost seems like Nikon's Lens Roadmap for the 200-600 hit a detour or dead-end. Does anyone want to share their opinions about using the Medadap ETZ21 with a Sony 200-600 on the Z9 if you have that combo?
I can't get it to work on my Z6ii. Fits great but I am unable to release the shutter. It also doesn't recognize f stops. Please help!!!

You should ask Megadap for assistance. You have taken it off and remounted it, etc.? All one can think is that somehow it's not mounted quite correctly. Either that or it's defective, and if that's the case you should exchange it for another one.

Thanks. I just received it today and remounted it several times. I've since written Megadap and am waiting for a reply. Not sure why it doesn't read the f stop nor does the shutter release. No issues with a Z mounted lens. Appreciate your advice!

This whole issue is now on its way to being moot, as we wait for Nikon to actually release the 180-600 zoom (this assumes it as good as the Sony 200-600 or at least very close to it). But there was an announcement in Nikon Rumors of a "pro" version of the adapter that is in the works. As is usually the case with comments to "Nikon Rumors" stories, the responses tend towards the quasi-hilarious (unintentionally). The reported "horrors" of the Megadap ETZ21 made my hair stand on end, LOL.

Ah, the Internet.

I had some Sony lenses so I bought one to use on my Z7. Unfortunately the one I got was bad, it didn't work at all, gave me an error. I sent it back and decided not to get a replacement.

Back