Mertering mode with filters with light loss

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My Nikon User's Manual (page 110 for Z 6/7, 101 for Z 5) says "Matrix metering may not produce the desired results with filters with exposure factors over 1x: we suggest that [Center-weighted metering] be selected instead." (e.g. CPL and ND) I've heard of this for GND filters. I've never noticed an issue. Have you?

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why they say that. I've used polarizers and NDs and never even knew it could be a problem - and it never was. :) Well, at least not for what I shoot with a polarizer / ND (mostly landscapes). The only thing I can think of is that maybe a split ND might cause some confusion with the matrix metering system since the scene recognition system may not be able to figure out why the sky is as dark as the foreground or may mistakenly think it's the wrong kind of scene. Still for solid polarizers and NDs, I've never had an unexpected metering issue that I'm aware of.

I honestly don't know why they say that. I've used polarizers and NDs and never even knew it could be a problem - and it never was. :) Well, at least not for what I shoot with a polarizer / ND (mostly landscapes). The only thing I can think of is that maybe a split ND might cause some confusion with the matrix metering system since the scene recognition system may not be able to figure out why the sky is as dark as the foreground or may mistakenly think it's the wrong kind of scene. Still for solid polarizers and NDs, I've never had an unexpected metering issue that I'm aware of.
I agree. Maybe when using GND filters, but those are seldom in my bag, now, with Lightroom, etc.

Back