Milky Way - Joshua Tree

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shot the following images a week or two ago in Joshua Tree and I processed them in LR ( I did use PS to remove some things like air plane trails). They are both single images, 3200 iso at f2.0 and I used the LR Denoise tool. The pictures were shot with only ambient light. I love shooting the Milky Way but I am not real confident in my post processing. I have included some of my thoughts on each shot and I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions to help me improve.

Number 1 was shot just after the moon set around 10:30 with an exposure of 10 seconds. With this image I wanted to get the galactic core rising between the two rock ridges so the ridges would frame it. I also like the way the Joshua Trees seem to reach up the the GC. I pushed the blue and magenta more than I typically do to give it more color and punch to the image.

_DSC9352-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Number 2 was shot later in the evening when the Milky Way was higher in the sky with an exposure of 15 seconds. With this shot, since the MW was higher in the sky we pulled back to get it arching over the rock formations and we also were able to include some of the larger Joshua trees in the shot. I think the trees in the mid ground and rock ridges in the back ground give the shot some balance. I left the sky a more neutral color on this one.
1687929095977.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I much prefer the first one -- I prefer the sky tones; the arc of the Milky Way seems to be echoed in the landscape (good use of the tree to carry that visually over the gap, BTW); and the rocks feel like a frame for the sky in a way that feels organic. Perhaps the more subdued presence of the stars below the Milky Way makes the second photo seem a bit more disjointed to my eye, and with everything off in the distance, there seems to be a loss of scale, if that communicates.

Last edited:
I much prefer the first one -- I prefer the sky tones; the arc of the Milky Way seems to be echoed in the landscape (good use of the tree to carry that visually over the gap, BTW); and the rocks feel like a frame for the sky in a way that feels organic. Perhaps the more subdued presence of the stars below the Milky Way makes the second photo seem a bit more disjointed to my eye, and with everything off in the distance, there seems to be a loss scale, if that communicates.
Thank you for the comments, they are very helpful. I think I will go back into #2 and see if I can bring out the stars below the Milky Way. In the field we probably should moved closer to the rock formations or other foreground elements to bring them closer to the MW in appearance.

I prefer the composition of the second image better too.
However - there is something missing (in both images) that convey the message of nighttime mood in the foreground. I can't put my finger on it - It doesnt match in my opinion. Something with the lighting - it's just not "there" and totally believable.

I prefer the composition of the second image better too.
However - there is something missing (in both images) that convey the message of nighttime mood in the foreground. I can't put my finger on it - It doesnt match in my opinion. Something with the lighting - it's just not "there" and totally believable.
Interesting, might it be that the foreground elements, like the Joshua Trees, are too far from the camera? If they were closer to the camera they might have more impact. As far as the not matching, in the first image the sky is very blue and the ground is warm, is that part of what you are seeing? With the lighting, I didn't add any lighting but I do process the sky and foreground in separate masks in LR. Thank you for taking the time to view the images and comment.

I prefer the second image. The foreground is a little bright for my taste for a night shot. I'd try changing the shadows' colour balance, include a bit more blue to cool it off and make it look more nighttime. But it's really nice already!

Back