Milky Way over Cannon Mountain

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Palmor

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Not my usual type of shot, in fact first time I've tried to capture the Milky Way... so I'm sure there is tons I could do better (when taking the photo or post processing) so suggestions welcome. Only had 1 clear night in the week I was there so no redos
smiley.gif

Since it's a ski mountain there is some light pollution that just happened to light the mountain up nicely.

It's a single shot exposure (I did try stacking in Starry Landscape) but results were similar.

Sony A1
Sony 20mm f1.8

10s, f2, ISO6400

A_108725_1200.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

So many Milky Way images are over-processed that’s it s great to see one that isnt’t! Very nice image, and to my eyes beautifully balanced. A little more light on the mountain would give a bit more sense of place, where the photo was taken, but that is very much a matter of preference. Nothing wrong with th photo as it is, great shot!

So many Milky Way images are over-processed that’s it s great to see one that isnt’t! Very nice image, and to my eyes beautifully balanced. A little more light on the mountain would give a bit more sense of place, where the photo was taken, but that is very much a matter of preference. Nothing wrong with th photo as it is, great shot!
I was about to post mine...maybe not now...

Not my usual type of shot, in fact first time I've tried to capture the Milky Way... so I'm sure there is tons I could do better (when taking the photo or post processing) so suggestions welcome. Only had 1 clear night in the week I was there so no redos
smiley.gif

Since it's a ski mountain there is some light pollution that just happened to light the mountain up nicely.

It's a single shot exposure (I did try stacking in Starry Landscape) but results were similar.

Sony A1
Sony 20mm f1.8

10s, f2, ISO6400

View attachment 43771
Nicely done. FYI, one rule of thumb for determining exposure time is to divide 500 by your lens length ( for full-frame sensors).
500/20mm = 25 second exposure without the stars becoming elongated.
That would give you a lower ISO and less noise to deal with.

smiley.gif

Sony A1
Sony 20mm f1.8

10s, f2, ISO6400

View attachment 43771
Excellent shot👍👍👍

Back