mode - shooting mode top dial confused

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I must have hit a button somewhere as my top left dial for Mode is not working on P or S - it diverts to A. But it will work on M. However, on any setting the display will not show the A - aperture. It shows F---. What have I done?

I must have hit a button somewhere as my top left dial for Mode is not working on P or S - it diverts to A. But it will work on M. However, on any setting the display will not show the A - aperture. It shows F---. What have I done?
The F- - implies the camera can’t read the aperture from the lens. That generally means the lens isn’t seated properly or there’s a dirty or bent electrical contact.

I’d check the lens mounting, perhaps try another lens to see if it’s a lens or camera problem and try cleaning the electrical contacts.

If the camera cannot read the lens aperture setting nor set the aperture from the camera then you’ll be limited to A and M shooting modes.

I assume you’re using a relatively modern lens but for older lenses with an aperture control ring on the lens, Make sure it’s set to maximum f/stop (e.g. f/22) or the camera can’t control the aperture.

Thanks so much- after hours in the manual and trying everything you answered the my problem. I was using a 18-35mm Nikkor with the adapter of course and it was not seated. I turned it maybe a 1/8" and click. Away we went. Thx again!

Back