Monitors 2 or 4 k

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I currently have a BenQ 27 2k monitor and I really like. I am getting another computer build and I am thinking about A 32 4K monitor. I have heard that 4 k isn’t recommended for photo editing…like not being able to see how much sharpening is applied, etc. but, since I already have the 27 inch I thought I would try the 32 4K. I need to stick within a budget so The BenQ I already have is outside of budget. wondering anyone has experienced either monitors below or other recommendation.

BenQ PD3200U 32" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor

ASUS ProArt Display PA329CV 32" 16:9 Adaptive-Sync UHD HDR IPS Monitor

Or 6K or 8K -- the most important for editing is the colour accuracy and one's ability to colour manage the monitor -- calibrate if you will -- to match your selected colour workspace.

I use a Lenvo Thinkvision 4k 32" monitor. Works fine except scaling is off or too small with some software. Also use a 30" and 27" Dell Ultrasharp 2k. Visually, there is not much difference when looking at 4 and 2K side by side. I color calibrate once a month, but never notice much much color shift. For photo editing, I would not pay more for 4k. Just not that much difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photoshop does dynamic font sizing for 4K monitors but with other applications the font size is too small for me to read with the display at its native resolution. You will want to confirm that your computer's graphic processor can support a 4K display.

Photoshop UI is scaled as though your display has half the resolution that it has. Your 3200x1800px 13.3 LCD has a 276 DPI resolution Photoshop will scale its UI as though your display is a 1600x900PX display with a 138 DPI resolution, Each pixel in the UI will be doubled in width and height. So four of your display pixels will be use for each of the current UI pixels. The UI will display 4 times the size it currently displays. However the image area be greatly reduced in size.

OLED displays are starting to come down in price and these will be the ultimate for editing of stills and video. For the 32" size diaplays the are still at premium prices. Lots of 42" displays for gamers but that is too large for me for general use at my normal 28 inch keypad to monitor distance.

Photoshop does dynamic font sizing for 4K monitors but with other applications the font size is too small for me to read with the display at its native resolution. You will want to confirm that your computer's graphic processor can support a 4K display.

Photoshop UI is scaled as though your display has half the resolution that it has. Your 3200x1800px 13.3 LCD has a 276 DPI resolution Photoshop will scale its UI as though your display is a 1600x900PX display with a 138 DPI resolution, Each pixel in the UI will be doubled in width and height. So four of your display pixels will be use for each of the current UI pixels. The UI will display 4 times the size it currently displays. However the image area be greatly reduced in size.

OLED displays are starting to come down in price and these will be the ultimate for editing of stills and video. For the 32" size diaplays the are still at premium prices. Lots of 42" displays for gamers but that is too large for me for general use at my normal 28 inch keypad to monitor distance.
I enjoy viewing an Oled screen but hesitant working on one. thank You for all of this information. i Use LR and PS and DXO. The graphics processor supports a 4K monitor. So in your opinion what do you prefer? I am glad I can fall back on my BenQ 2k if need be, or exchange the 4K if I cannot work with it.

Having used 32" 4K displays for about 8-9 years, I cannot imagine going back to a smaller display (other than travel use of a laptop) for photo or video editing. Personally, I would not recommend a 4K display of less than 32"...if you wish to stay at 27" or below, go with 2560x1440 resolution (WQHD). My display for the last 4 years or so has been a Dell UP3216Q and I'm very happy with it...it calibrates very well and is surprisingly stable over time...and didn't break the bank. The current, equivalent model is under $900.

With Windows automatic scaling enabled at the recommended value of 150%, I don't find any issues with any of my primary applications, whether general purpose, photo, video or graphics.

Cheers!

Back