Monopod gitzo - which one?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I found Gitzo to be overpriced for what they are. Obviously not saying they are bad, they are "the best of the best" - you just pay for it.

I sold all my Gitzo gear and went with primarily with Leofoto and couldn't be happier. Saved a ton of money and weight for essentially the same product. 95% of the performance for less than 30% of the cost.

Here's a list of all the gear I've tried, and which pieces I decided to keep.

My wildlife setup is 10lbs (Z9 + 400TC) and goes on the Leofoto MP-365C monopod with Wimberley MH100 head, or the Promedia TR344L34 tripod with Leofoto PG-1 head.

If you only want Gitzo, the GM4552L has been suggested by others, and was the one I picked. Other than being expensive, I didn't have any complaints.

Attachments

• Tripod setups.png
    Tripod setups.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 34
I have a complimentary Gitzo story that does not involve monopods.

I have a Systematic 3 series carbon fiber tripod. I decided to do some maintenance. I took it apart and decided I wanted to replace some of the inner sleeves and O rings.

I found a listing on line that had a parts layout diagram complete with numbers. I put an order in for the parts I wanted, which collectively cost me under
$100.

Turns out the parts distribution company was located in England. They shipped on DAY 1 from England and Day 2 it was DELIVERED to my home in
Seattle BEFORE NOON.

I sat down with my tripod, some cleaning cloths, lube and brushes and in about two hours I had a brand-new tripod smooth as silk.

Go Gitzo. They make strong stuff that lasts forever.

I have the GM4552L as well, with the Wimberley MH-100. Had been hand-holding my 800pf and Z8/9 but recently spent some time with this combo on the Gitzo and liked it. As to whether it's worth it, hard to say because I haven't used other monopods that are cheaper. Probably yes, if you can get it at a good discount, as I did.

Before you make your purchase, consider how much you plan to use the monopod, the weight of the lens/camera combo(s) you'll be using, the weight of the monopod itself and the features you deem most useful. I shoot birds with a Z9, Z8 and gripped D850 and long lenses (including a 500 f/4 and 800 PF). The 500 f/4 with a TC and adapter can weigh 7 to 8 lbs or more. I typically handhold, but when I've needed support I've turned to my Gitzo Series 3 systematic for over 12 years. It's been great, and I've always felt good about the purchase. In fact I have two Gitzo tripods, the second being a smaller, lighter, used model for macro photography. However, while never having owned a monopod, I decided last summer that I wanted to have some support without the weight and bulk of a tripod. So, in my early 70s, I decided to purchase a monopod.

I first looked at Gitzo, but after seeing the price, I decided to also consider other well-known reputable, but less expensive, brands such as Sirui, Vanguard, Benro and Induro. I eventually settled on the Benro MSD46C SupaDupa (mentioned above by froolk) for $160 and the Wimberley MH-100 head for $170. The 6-section Benro monopod weighs 1.3 lbs, holds 88lbs and has a maximum working height of 72". A Gitzo GM4255L, by contrast, is currently $389 on sale ($489 retail). It features 5 sections, 72 lb weight capacity, max. working height of 75 inches and weighs 1.6 lbs. So the Gitzo, on sale, is $220 more than the Benro with a 3" height advantage and 5 sections instead of 6, but with a slightly less weight capacity and weighing 0.3 lbs more.

In my situation, I didn't expect to use a monopod a lot nor, at my age, for a long time. When looking at the cost/weight differences, I couldn't justify the added cost and higher weight of the Gitzo. However, were I younger and more active and anticipating using it a lot, I might have given the Gitzo or other high-end brands more consideration. I raise this not to dissuade you from purchasing a Gitzo, but just to suggest you don't limit yourself to a single brand or price level based on just name recognition. There are a lot of good options available at a range of costs, heights, weights and features.

Last edited:
Informative post; thank you. I don't know my way around high-end gear (excepting my new Z8) but since others have at least mentioned Sirui I'll suggest that the SIRUI SVM Rapid System One-Step monopod might be worth consideration. I'm very happy with it so far — cute little legs, if you like, rapid extension (pricing can be lower direct from company).

I own two monopods and added a third one for use with the 800mm PF lens. The new addition was the iFootabe Cobra 2 A150S that allows me to adjust the height with one hand while continuing to hold the camera and lens with my other hand. I use it with a tilt shift head and so I can use it with subjects high in the trees or on a hillside.

Gitzo 5541 here… takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Supports my D850/120-300 combo well. A bit on the hefty side, but I can use it as a club if I get cornered one day by hungry lions. (I’ll only threaten them, wouldn’t hit them, of course…)

I've owned monopods from Manfrotto/Bogen, Benro, and Gitzo. Of them, the Benro was the only one that I had issues with; after only a few uses, the locks wouldn't tighten enough to keep the sections from collapsing. I had the same issue with a really old Bogen after i'd used it for a long time, but was able to fix it. I've only owned the Gitzo for about four or five years, but I'm very pleased with it. And I purchased it used for less than one-half the price of of a new one.

No matter which monopod or tripod I was looking into, I'd stongly consider purchasing a used one.

I use the Gitzo GM4532. It’s solid and light. I chose it because it has 3 sections. It means there are only 2 parts to extend. I like to retract only one segment when walking. For me it means I can set up on a spot quickly. it does fit inside my checked baggage OK. I use it with a very heavy 500 F4 G lens as well as with the 180-600. I could use my Gitzo 2541 with the 180-600 but there is no need to take 2. The heavy lens seems to benefit from the 4532 build.

FWIW - I found the iFootage Cobra Monopods on an episode of DP Review TV when Jordan Drake was gushing about it. In that episode he said that they had been using Manfrotto monopods for 9 years - various versions their video for a long time and he had to constantly keep tightening the clamps and it was also jerky when you moved the camera. He calls it a video monopod as it has feet, but I've not told my camera that and I've had no issues at all.

When he tested the iFootage Cobra 2 he bought one and have been using it ever since and it has not needed as much maintenance as the Manfrottos at once or twice a year. That led me to get one and interestingly the carbon one has a greater load rating than the alloy version at 22lbs.

There is a Cobra 3 out now but I'm not upgrading.

Last edited:
I have doubts that it needs an expensive Gitzo-like solution when it comes to monopods.
I am using a € 69 carbon monopod (Calumet) with my 800PF. No complaints.
A monopod hasn't the same requirements as a tripod.

I have doubts that it needs an expensive Gitzo-like solution when it comes to monopods.
I am using a € 69 carbon monopod (Calumet) with my 800PF. No complaints.
A monopod hasn't the same requirements as a tripod.
And a PF lens is lighter. Continuing to use a monopod you already own is always cheaper than buying a new one. However sometimes “expensive” is an investment in “flexibility” that makes sense at the time of purchase. Enjoy the gear that works well for you. I certainly enjoy the Gitzo 4532 and the way it performs.

Back