Monopod gitzo - which one?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I own the current Gitzo 4532 3 section and the 4562 6 section.

I got them when they were £230 each in the UK, but might well baulk at the current £360 - even though I know from previous ownership Gitzo is a "last forever" type product.

The three section version is distinctly more robust on the bottom section and quickest to set up.

The six section version compacts down to easily fit on the side of a backpack and is most easily adjusted for photographing wild flowers.

I'm a Gitzo user (can't remember model number). However one thing you might want to consider is aluminum over carbon fiber. To be honest I haven't shopped monopod in years however if aluminum is still available you'll likely discover very little weight difference and a fair amount of cost difference. Just something to consider if anyone still uses that outdated metal!

I have the GM4552L, with the Wimberley MH-100. Since purchasing it, I've used my tripod much less often. I just returned from a week's rental of the 800 pf, and the Gitzo was fantastic. I was easily able to complete numerous hikes greater than four miles each with the Gitzo over my shoulder supporting the 800/Z8 combo.

One minor note: my particular combination of the Gitzo and the Wimberley join together in such a way that the lock screw is not hitting in an ideal spot. It holds fine, but it is chipping away at the head's base.

Attachments

• IMG_5453.JPG
    IMG_5453.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 14
Back