Monopod & Head Recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm looking for recommendations for a monopod and head. I currently own a Nikon Z7 with largest lens 100-400mm. In the future I will purchase either 600mm or 800mm lens. I've only looked at a couple monopods (RRS MC-34 and Robus RCM-633) but am open to everyone's recommendations. Also am intrigued by the Wimberly MH-100. I'd like to keep the cost down, however, I do believe in buying once.

Mine is a Leofoto MP-365C, 5 sections, 69'' tall with a Wimberley MH-100 and I am very satisfied using it to support a D500 or a Z8 + 500PF.

A couple of weeks ago I searched eBay and KEH for monopods. I saw a nice Gitzo CF monopod for around $200 on ebay, and a RRS monopod at KEH. Both were 25-40% below retail of the same item bought new.

Be patient and look for a used monopod. It's one of those items that turns up regularly.

I have been using a Manfrotto monopod and head for years. I’ve been very satisfied with the build quality (Italy) and performance when used with the quick release bracket…..
IMG_2801.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I struggled to choose between the RRS model and Gitzo’s GM4552L 4 series. In the end, I went with the Gitzo for the extra length, and it’s proven to be very useful on hillsides. I highly recommend pairing it with the Wimberly you’re considering. Having the ability to balance the lens on your mount is quite liberating.

I suggest the Robus RCM-439 - 4 section monopod. Strong and priced right. last a lifetime. The Robus RCM-633 is too many sections to mess with, my opinion. I usually pass on a head for my mono placing the lens directly on, but do have a ball head I use some.

Regardless of brand - get at fewer sections with larger tubes. No more than 3. I got the one below for use with the Z9 and 100-400 and now 180-600. So much easier to use that way. Also get a long one so that you can work with hills.

I don't think you need 42mm legs for the gear you mention.

PMG includes built in spike that RRS doesn't include.

ProMedia Gear 34L

Also am intrigued by the Wimberly MH-100.
I believe in buying once.
Sue …

Wimberley's monopod gimbal is simple but beautifully engineered. Mine has worked faultlessly.

Thoroughly recommended: it's my best accessory purchase ever.

… David

Note:
  • Used with 100–500 zoom .
  • Mostly at 500 mm.
  • Sometimes with 1.4x extender.

Last edited:
Sue …

Wimberley's monopod gimbal is simple but beautifully engineered. Mine has worked faultlessly.

Thoroughly recommended: it's my best accessory purchase ever.

… David

Note:
  • Used with 100–500 zoom .
  • Mostly at 500 mm.
  • Sometimes with 1.4x extender.

Agree with David. Tried a number of different options for my monopod, but once I used the MH-100 never used anything else after that.

I have the wimberly MH-100, but never use it. I find it really difficult to mount/unmount a heavy lens on. I much prefer the RRS MH-01 which I've had for close to 10 years. I don't believe RRS offers the MH-01 any more, only the MH-02 which is priced way to high. The difference is the MH-02 has a provision for rotating the head, which in my opinion isn't needed on a monopod. I would look around for some type of ball head solution. Mounting/removing a 600 f4 on a MH-100 is problematic for me.

I have a Sirui L-20S 2-Way Pan/Tilt Head on a Gitzo GM5541 4-section monopod that I bought used on ebay. I went with the pan feature as I can also use the head on my MeFoto CF travel tripod.

I'm looking for recommendations for a monopod and head. I currently own a Nikon Z7 with largest lens 100-400mm. In the future I will purchase either 600mm or 800mm lens. I've only looked at a couple monopods (RRS MC-34 and Robus RCM-633) but am open to everyone's recommendations. Also am intrigued by the Wimberly MH-100. I'd like to keep the cost down, however, I do believe in buying once.
I have been using a Steadicam Air monopod with a Wimberley MH 100 head for my bird photograhy since 2019. I absolutely love the ability to quickly raise it when on the trail

I have the wimberly MH-100, but never use it. I find it really difficult to mount/unmount a heavy lens on. I much prefer the RRS MH-01 which I've had for close to 10 years. I don't believe RRS offers the MH-01 any more, only the MH-02 which is priced way to high. The difference is the MH-02 has a provision for rotating the head, which in my opinion isn't needed on a monopod. I would look around for some type of ball head solution. Mounting/removing a 600 f4 on a MH-100 is problematic for me.
I have the lens lying down to attach and detach the MH-100. That is simple and easy (and safe) for me. Ballheads and telephoto lenses don't work for me (tripod or monopod).

I used no head, a ball head, and a gimbal head before finding the MH-100 (thanks, @Steve !) The MH-100 is good enough that I haven't tried anything else since. As to monopods, I am pretty brand-neutral on them. They are simple and pretty fool-proof in my experience. Just make sure it is tall enough (can extend taller than you are -- you'll tilt it in use and will sometimes not be on flat ground) and has good, thick legs. I've had aluminum and carbon fiber and don't see any practical difference between them for monopods. My current monopod is a Sirui with a tripod feet option, which I switched to when I got back into video as well as still photography. It replaced a no-name aluminum 'pod I'd had for years and was completely satisfied with for still photography. FWIW

ETA: While the Sirui comes with both a spike and a rubber cap for when not using the feet, I have never used the spike. A monopod is not like a tripod -- you're always holding onto it. The spike is no good on rock or pavement and the rubber cap works on all terrain with a monopod in my experience.

Last edited:
I also recommend the Wimberley monopod head. I use it on my monopod with my 500mm f5.6 pf and my 100-400mm S. I added a Quick Release clamp to my monopod so I can easily remove the monopod head and use the monopod with other camera/lenses.

Regardless of the brand you choose, make sure the monopod extends to a height taller than you so you can shoot up at things. To keep costs down consider a monopod made from aluminum with wide enough tubes to support your gear. Fewer extension sections makes it easier to use. I also like one that accepts replacement feet for different applications. If you will be using it in water or sand, make sure it can be cleaned easily and properly. The brands I like are Benro and Manfrotto for a metal monopod.

The secret is to mount the head to the lens...not the lens to the gimbal head. Lay the lens down, and bring the monopod/head to it. Don't try to lift the lens to the monopod. It is also useful to put a piece of painter's tape on the foot or head to mark the balance point, so you don't have to fiddle with moving the heavy lens in a loosened mount (at least not more than once)

I needed something light and packable that still extends high enough so I can point it to birds above me in the canopy. I decided on the FLM CM 30-L5 5-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod which is way less expensive than the Gitzo. I am not a pro and don’t want to spend more than $200 on a Monopod.
I combine it with the MH-100 and have been very happy with it so far.

Also am intrigued by the Wimberly MH-100. I'd like to keep the cost down, however, I do believe in buying once.
Sue, I would not recommend the MH-100, when you go to mount large lens its a problem. More of problem when you go to remove them. Once the clamp releases the lens drops like rock. Be ready to catch it....

The heads that hold the lens centered is much easier to manage. Just set the lens on the head, close the clamp. Same with removing the lens. Unfortunately RRS appears to have stopped producing the MH-01, only offering the way to expensive MH-02. Maybe on the used market, or someone else may be marketing a similar item.

However if you really want one PM me with your address and I will send you mine. Its only been used a couple time, I will never use it again. My wife will be happy to see something leave my Photo Closet. I'll even through in a bonus. A Wimberly Side Kick with a 3/4 spacer.
Wimberly.jpeg
RRS.jpeg

Back