Monopod & Head Recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A couple of weeks ago I searched eBay and KEH for monopods. I saw a nice Gitzo CF monopod for around $200 on ebay, and a RRS monopod at KEH. Both were 25-40% below retail of the same item bought new.

Be patient and look for a used monopod. It's one of those items that turns up regularly.
Eric, great idea looking for used monopod. Thank you.

I suggest the Robus RCM-439 - 4 section monopod. Strong and priced right. last a lifetime. The Robus RCM-633 is too many sections to mess with, my opinion. I usually pass on a head for my mono placing the lens directly on, but do have a ball head I use some.
Thanks for the tip on the Robus RCM439. I'll look into it.

Regardless of brand - get at fewer sections with larger tubes. No more than 3. I got the one below for use with the Z9 and 100-400 and now 180-600. So much easier to use that way. Also get a long one so that you can work with hills.

I don't think you need 42mm legs for the gear you mention.

PMG includes built in spike that RRS doesn't include.

ProMedia Gear 34L
Thanks for ProMedia 34L tip. I agree I don't need 42mm legs.

I use the RRS monopod and Wimberly MH with the Nikon 400 2.8 and 800pf. While I wish it was a lever clamp instead of a knob, it otherwise performs flawlessly. My wife has the RRS monopod head and while well made, it does not function anywhere near as well as the Wimberly MH.

I bought into the hype about the MH-100....I regret the purchase. I never use it. It probably does make more sense if your largest lens is a 180-600. But I bought it to use with 400/2.8 and 600/4 and the it is difficult to mount and it is always pulling to one side which requires constant counterbalance pressure to keep the monopod straight.

My recommendation for a head on a monopod is the Jobu Jr. 3 Delux. Lightest weight gimbal you can by and is still fluid/smooth even with my 600/4 on it. My friend used to use it with Canon 600II which is even heavier than my Sony 600/4. Smooth action, easy to mount, easy to balance and as compact and as lightweight as you will get for a gimbal.

I’ve been thinking about getting an MH-100, but am reconsidering after using my Jobu Jr yesterday at Conowingo Dam. Although I used it on a tripod, the key takeaway, as @arbitrage observes, the center of gravity is centered. You can also remove the swing arm on the Jobu and attach the mounting plate to the top of the armature. I’m planning to try it out on my Gitzo GM5541 monopod today in Shenandoah Park. (That’s my D850 + 1.4TC III + Nikkor 120-300/2.8 nicely balanced in the photo.

What I did learn for sure is that I need longer glass, though! The only decent shots I got with that combo were with a 500 PF that a fellow shooter let me try out… handheld. Thanks, Chino!

Attachments

• IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
My recommendation for a head on a monopod is the Jobu Jr. 3 Delux. Lightest weight gimbal you can by and is still fluid/smooth even with my 600/4 on it. My friend used to use it with Canon 600II which is even heavier than my Sony 600/4. Smooth action, easy to mount, easy to balance and as compact and as lightweight as you will get for a gimbal.

Thanks for the info I'm seriously considering this. I have a hard time believing people think this is a good idea....
IMG_0604.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I personally do not understand the appeal of the MH-100 (particularly for a larger/heavier lens) because it puts all the weight off-center from the monopod. This seems awkward and unstable to me. I prefer the simplicity of a tilt head, which stays centered over the top of the monopod. The ones with a large tension knob make it very quick to adjust your angle up or down as needed.

Here is a link to the one I use....simple, cheap, and effective. I've used it frequently with my 500 f/4G (which is a heavy rascal) with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
I personally do not understand the appeal of the MH-100 (particularly for a larger/heavier lens) because it puts all the weight off-center from the monopod. This seems awkward and unstable to me. I prefer the simplicity of a tilt head, which stays centered over the top of the monopod. The ones with a large tension knob make it very quick to adjust your angle up or down as needed.

Here is a link to the one I use....simple, cheap, and effective. I've used it frequently with my 500 f/4G (which is a heavy rascal) with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

It does de-center the weight…but you get used to it pretty quickly and I just tilt the monopod a little to bring the lens over the base on the ground. The MH-100 makes it a little closer to a gimbal head than just. Tilt head at. Lot less weight than a gimbal.

Back