Moose in Yellowstone. 2021/03/11

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ductape

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Happy with this capture from the other day in YNP but striving to get better. Curious for your constructive criticism of photo. I use Lightroom Classic to edit, not comfortable yet using Photoshop. I do wonder how I will delete spider web hanging from the nose. Z7II, 300mm F 2.8 lens, with 2XTCIII. 600mm, f5.6, 1/500th, 1000 ISO. Appreciate your opinion good or bad, focused on trying to get better at this.
Z72_7712-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Appreciate your opinion good or bad, focused on trying to get better at this.
Very nice image.

In terms of the spider web you can probably remove it with LR's spot removing brush. Just set the brush size small (using the [ key) and paint right down the line. If it doesn't do a great job just back up in history and try again or decide it won't work without more sophisticated tools (e.g. PS).

I don't know if this is cropped or the image as captured but if it's a crop I'd probably try to position the Moose a bit further right in the frame to give it a bit more room to look into the frame. If this is the full frame image you could try for a similar composition by going to a 4x5 crop to gain some room on the left of the frame. A slightly tighter crop would also remove that out of focus dark blob right above the tree near the right of the image.

You might also try pulling down the highlights a bit as some of the brighter fur is loosing detail. That and for a shot like this I'd add a gentle vignette (edge burn) to contain the image a bit, that's a simple slider adjustment near the bottom of the Develop panel in LR.

All those are just things to try to see if you can improve the image a bit as it's well shot and nice as is.

All those are just things to try to see if you can improve the image a bit as it's well shot and nice as is.

Thanks for making the time for the feedback, I commit to taking that advice into LR and trying these changes. Part of my problem is I don't see very well what I can do that might improve the photo in post processing.

The spider web or snot string (whatever it is) didn't really bother me. Nature is messy and it adds a note of realism. One thing that does bother me and it's just a tiny little thing but the pine tree on the right behind the Moose's ear has the tip top cut off. I don't know why but my eye keeps going to that tip of the branch cut off and once I saw it my eye keeps going back there. If this is a cropped image, lift the top line just a touch so that the tree is whole.

I know it is a tiny thing in an otherwise outstanding image. I absolutely love the snowflakes falling and the ones stuck to her nose. It really is a great image.

the pine tree on the right behind the Moose's ear has the tip top cut off.

I agree and think the two trees do a lot to bracket the moose and add to the composure. Unfortunately I can't make the top work. There is a dark branch from a different tree above that hides the top off the small tree in the picture. I see your position though. I also went through the other pics I have just before and after this one, and they are no better. Thanks.

If you are not quite comfortable with Photoshop, may I suggest something that could be fun? Ps has a feature called Content Aware Fill.
Use the lasso tool and select just around the edge of the spider's web. Go to Edit-Fill Content aware ok. The web will disappear! I use this feature and hardly anything else in Ps. It is really cool and really quick. easy to undo too.
I actually like the web fine, but just a suggestion to fire up Photoshop.
I

I agree and think the two trees do a lot to bracket the moose and add to the composure. Unfortunately I can't make the top work. There is a dark branch from a different tree above that hides the top off the small tree in the picture. I see your position though. I also went through the other pics I have just before and after this one, and they are no better. Thanks.
Since you asked about feedback and learning, try to develop the habit of scanning the edges of the viewfinder for distractions like those dark tree needles while out in the field. Sure we get excited so knock off a few frames to get the image of something like a Moose but then take a deep breath, and carefully assess the scene to see if maybe a slight shift to the right or left or perhaps crouching down or standing up tall can improve your perspective and clean up the frame. I do this all the time both to check for things like an intruding branch but also for basic background control or the check for the classic telephone pole growing out of grandma's head kind of problems that we often don't immediately see in our excitement. If the subject is cooperative I'll also do an exposure/histogram quick check after grabbing my insurance shots.

It's pretty typical that my second set of captures after those quick grab shots are the keepers and usually have cleaner backgrounds as well as fewer distracting elements compared to the first shots captured when finding a great subject. A subtle change of position, or stepping to slightly higher or lower ground can often lead to big improvements.

All that said, your shot is awesome and like others I really like the snowflakes in the air and the overall setting for a beautiful subject but in terms of improving field techniques, try to find and eliminate distractions while out in the field whenever possible.

All good. The thing I love about nature photography is nature is messy. The wildlife and plants do not live by our rules or desires. We are in their world and capturing nature as she is instead of how we wish she was is a good thing.

Jeff

Love the shot, love the bookend framing by the trees -- very environmental/contextual! And fwiw the spiderweb did need to go me thinks, since it didn't even after knowing what it was look like a spiderweb, so way too distracting :)

Thank you all for the sincere feedback. I appreciate it and have been thinking about it. I really do appreciate you all taking the time.

When I read my own post, it sounded a bit insulting! I really didn't mean it in that way at all. It is just that the ONE thing I do with Photoshop is the content aware fill, and it works soooo well! I had a potential customer ask me if I could crop out the background of a photo of her with her dog, and part of the background was a carpark. I had no idea how to do it, but content aware fill did the job in less than a minute! It looked perfect. I don't really like faking images but I did it. Have a go!
I

This is really an excellent image. Both versions. We spend a lot of time discussing technical issues but content trumps those things every time. And the only way to get the content is to spend time in the field. You did well.

Anything I could add would be ridiculous nit-picking. The main points have all been hit by others. I just wanted to add that this is a great shot. Congratulations! :)

Back