Movo Gimbal

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Anyone have the Move mark II? I’m 64 and the Nikon D500 w/200-500 & grip is getting harder to hold. MOVO II has a good price and lightweight. Wimberly 200 is heavier and $300 more.

There is many options between this end of the market and Wimberley and the old “get what you pay for is true. The users of many of the low end gimbals speak of looseness / wobble when controls are loosened off and excessive drag when moving due to the cheap bushings and heavy grease. Normally a strip down improves the situation. If the Wimberley is too heavy and too dear, there are some decent mid range options out there. You may also consider the “sidekick” type as long as you’re aware of the limitations.

I baulked at the Wimberley also. Finished up with Sunwayfoto GH-02. It’s been fine for my needs.

Last edited:
Anyone have the Move mark II? I’m 64 and the Nikon D500 w/200-500 & grip is getting harder to hold. MOVO II has a good price and lightweight. Wimberly 200 is heavier and $300 more.
One issue when using any gimbal with Nikon's 200-500mm lens is that the lens balance point changes substantially when zooming. If you'll always run at or very near the 500m end then that's not a big problem but if you'll zoom a lot then finding and then re-finding the balance point can be tricky with a gimbal mount and if you don't find the best balance point you lose a lot of the power of a gimbal mount. IOW, if you don't have the camera and lens combo balanced fore and aft you lose the single finger tilt and can't just let go of the camera and lens and have the camera stay pointed at something like a nest while waiting for action unless you lock and then unlock the tilt control.

It's not a show stopper but is something to consider when shooting with a variable length long lens and a gimbal head.

Good point. I usually shoot between 300 & 500. Most recommend to “hold” the lens on top for stability when shooting. I can see why that would help when zooming as well.

The D500 is a nice camera. I wonder what sort of shooting you do with it. I use a monopod for birding with a Wimberley monogimbal 80% of the time. It is lighter than using a tripod. Since you have your hand on the camera all the time the issue of balance is less important than it is with a tripod. Just a thought.

I bought one a long time ago but rarely use it. I’ve not had any issues or complaints about it specifically and it seems to work well. I’m sure the higher end brands work better, but it isn’t something I’d use enough to spend that kind of money on. I found they work well for shooting things when relatively stationary. By that I mean I won’t be moving around a lot and keeping the camera pointing towards subjects for extended times. Example might be birds in a tree or a bear with her cubs hanging out in a general area. They can also help if you want to keep the shutter speed a little lowe. Where I find they don’t work well is when I need to be moving around to get a better angle. It is a lot to move around and adjust height quickly and I’d prefer to use a lighter weight system and hand hold. As that is the case for me, I bought the 500mm PF and now the 400mm 4.5S and much prefer that and handholding to be able to stay more mobile. They also add bulk and weight to the tripod. If you’ve been using a tripod with a ball head or similar all the time anyway, I’d give a gimbal a try as they are a lot easier to use for moving subjects. I’d probably go with a mid level one which might be lighter and built to last longer. Having the right head on the tripod makes it more enjoyable to use.

I get that abc123bryan. I was suggesting it may be useful for a 200-500. For a 400 F4.5 maybe not. If it is about a person needing help with weight, it could be different.

I had that exact same combination of camera and lens and, on Steve Perry's always great advice, I bought a Wimberly MH-100 gimbal head ($179) for my monopod it was my go-to setup for years. Still is with my Z9 and 200-500 lens. It's compact, light, and perfect for the purpose.

I think I am older than you. (early 70s) I swapped my monopod foot for the “bigfoot” accessory (Gitzo* monopod) It makes side to side pivot easy and is good for leaning the monopod back towards me as Steve suggests. The stability is very good, except in quite heavy wind. I do use the technique Steve Perry suggests in his video on using a monopod with the monogimbal. It works very well indeed.
I have used it for a long time now with excellent results using a D500 and 500mm F4G. For carrying I do wear the ThinkTank Glass Limo bag. It fits the 500 plus the lens attached. With that on my back, I can pack up anytime, or use it to balance/hold much of the weight of the lens when I walk.
Different people find different solutions. This one works for me.
* Gitzo 4532 monopod

Last edited:
I shoot the D500 with the 200-500 and have used three different gimbals with it. At first I used the Movo GH700. I found it perfectly serviceable with a tripod, but was not very happy when using a monopod (my preferred rig in the field.) When a friend alerted me to the Wimberley 100 @Steve video review, I immediately saw that as the answer to my issues with a full gimbal on a monopod. I bought one and love it. When I was going to Costa Rica, I thought I could reduce the bulk of my gear a bit by getting the Wimberley Sidekick to use on my tripod with my Sirui K30 ball head. Honestly, I never could warm to the Sidekick -- it just feels kind of kludgy to me. So, for tripod use, I still use the Movo. BTW, I also have the Oben QR-53 plate on the foot of my 200-500 lens collar, which is otherwise too short to balance with my kit. FWIW

This is not meant to be snarky but have you thought about exercising with light dumbbells? Wrist curles with a 5 lb weight can make a real difference in strength. As I approach 73 years of age I need to do more strength training than in the past to stay on the go.

My wife's Olympus MFT mirrorless cameras and lenses provide excellent performance and in some aspects exceed my Z9 cameras. They weigh half as much and tend to cost half as much. Traveling my full frame kit weighs more than 35 lbs and her Olympus MFT kit weighs half as much.

Here is my Move gimbal with my 800mm F:5.6 AF on it

1005.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NO my tripod had a 3/8" thread. Check your because if yours has a 1/4" thread you might to get a increaseer inorder to mount the head. I don't know where you are at but obtaining a 1/4" to 3/8" should not be hard. Maybe even Movo migh have one.

Thanks so much, I might have threads that will work, from a previous ball head.
Now finding Rosette Spoonbills on the east coast of FL. Ding Darling state park on Sanibel Island (west coast) is closed and wiped out from the latest hurricane.

I have one of the gimbals that was a bargain price. We had to remove all the old grease and do some work on it to use it. It still has some slop due to cheaper parts that don't seem to last long. It's about 1/2 step above no gimbal at all. I was going with the Wimberly gimbal but not in the budget. I would up with the Wimberly Sidekick and it is worth the price. I attached it to my ball head which is the RRS BH-55 and it is rock solid and swivels extremely well. I recommend that route if you can't move up to the Wimberly gimbal.

I have one of the gimbals that was a bargain price. We had to remove all the old grease and do some work on it to use it. It still has some slop due to cheaper parts that don't seem to last long. It's about 1/2 step above no gimbal at all. I was going with the Wimberly gimbal but not in the budget. I would up with the Wimberly Sidekick and it is worth the price. I attached it to my ball head which is the RRS BH-55 and it is rock solid and swivels extremely well. I recommend that route if you can't move up to the Wimberly gimbal.
+1 for the sidekick. It’s not as good as a full gimbal but way better than none. I have both now and mostly use the sidekick when I’m travelling light.

I shoot the D500 with the 200-500 and have used three different gimbals with it. At first I used the Movo GH700. I found it perfectly serviceable with a tripod, but was not very happy when using a monopod (my preferred rig in the field.) When a friend alerted me to the Wimberley 100 @Steve video review, I immediately saw that as the answer to my issues with a full gimbal on a monopod. I bought one and love it. When I was going to Costa Rica, I thought I could reduce the bulk of my gear a bit by getting the Wimberley Sidekick to use on my tripod with my Sirui K30 ball head. Honestly, I never could warm to the Sidekick -- it just feels kind of kludgy to me. So, for tripod use, I still use the Movo. BTW, I also have the Oben QR-53 plate on the foot of my 200-500 lens collar, which is otherwise too short to balance with my kit. FWIW
I decided to take your advice and try the Wimberly 100, I agree with you it’s great.
I’m just not comfortable with a tripod, with fast moving birds.
It didn’t take long to get used to it, even with a heavy monopod. Mine is an old Manfrotto with metal optional feet that I never use. Just a lousy design.
I also agree with Steve when he said get a lens collar with a dove tail, it’s easier to detach and more stable than a quick release. Thank you again…

Back