Multnomah Falls

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
We recently took a short "family" trip to the Portland, Oregon area. Several folks here gave me great advice about places to visit. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take my tripod, so I was severely limited when photographing the falls in the Columbia River Gorge. I did try photographing a two -shot pano hand help at the Multnomah Falls.

I tried re-sizing the image but it was still too large. So here is the link:

Z9, 24mm, f11, ISO 200, 1/15th second handheld

Multnomah Falls

I also photographed the Pittock Mansion......the gallery is HERE.

Gorgeous photos of Mult falls and Pittock mansion. I used to live in Portland. If you think the Falls are gorgeous now, you should have seen them before the Columbia River Gorge fires that were started by that idiot with the fireworks. :cry:
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take my tripod, so I was severely limited when photographing the falls in the Columbia River Gorge.
If you are open to using two systems, you should consider an Olympus camera like the OM-1 or E-M1iii. These bodies plus some others have a computational feature called Live ND which simulates an ND filter. The E-M1iii, E-M5iii, E-M1X and OM-5 can simulate a 5-stop ND filter whereas the OM-1 goes up to 6 stops.

This feature, plus Olympus's unrivaled image stabilization means that you will almost never need a tripod. Here are some of my recent photos - the rectilinear ones were shot with a kit lens:

Without Live ND, 1/10 sec:

batch_PA021759.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

With Live ND, 6 sec handheld:
batch_PA021761.jpg

5 sec handheld:

batch_PA011371.jpg

Regular shot, 1/100 sec:

batch_PA011363.jpg

I do not recall if this used Live ND, 10 sec handheld:
batch_PA011361.jpg

P.S. Including a daytime example of Live ND. Not the best shot but this was my first time trying it. ND64 i.e. 6 stops.

This was taken from a moving ferry and the cruise ship was sailing as well. I was trying to blur the waves to show motion.
P9257925.jpg

You did well without your tripod. Amazing getting a silky water effect handheld. I think I'd prefer the scene shifted a bit so the water flows into the frame i.e. from upper left to center. That said I have no idea what was out of frame right :unsure:

You did well without your tripod. Amazing getting a silky water effect handheld. I think I'd prefer the scene shifted a bit so the water flows into the frame i.e. from upper left to center. That said I have no idea what was out of frame right :unsure:
Your correct....that would have been better. When I first arrived, I realized I couldn't get the entire scene in one shot. So I shot the bridge and part of the upper and lower falls. Then I tried photographing the upper falls. Then the lower falls. All from different positions. I didn't even think about doing a proper (hand held) pano at such slow speeds. It was only at home in front of the computer that I tried putting 2 images from 2 different positions together! LOL!

I might be able to piece 3 images together and get the composition you suggested. I'll give it a go sometime later, as we leave tomorrow for another 2 week trip.

P.S. Including a daytime example of Live ND. Not the best shot but this was my first time trying it. ND64 i.e. 6 stops.

This was taken from a moving ferry and the cruise ship was sailing as well. I was trying to blur the waves to show motion.
View attachment 49571
I'd suggest you start a separate thread on this interesting topic so we don't further rain on her parade, but I'll just briefly say that same effect can be achieved with any camera by averaging multiple images.

I'd suggest you start a separate thread on this interesting topic so we don't further rain on her parade, but I'll just briefly say that same effect can be achieved with any camera by averaging multiple images.
Sure - I did not mean to hijack the thread and was sharing a tip for times when one is traveling and cannot carry a tripod. Just a caveat though - contrary to combining photos in post, photos with OM computational modes result in RAW files which can be processed later. Plus you can view the ND simulation before hitting the shutter so it's a lot less clunky / error-prone than shooting a burst and hoping for the best.

Back