Mute Swan Moment

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here is the image:

1637171984505.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I am far from an expert, but here's my attempt. ( I made these changes using Lightroom Classic)
Changed tone curve to "Strong Contrast"
Straightened the horizon in the background, cropped out a bit of the foreground.
Used the new masking tool to select subject and invert, and drop exposure of the background.
Applied a slight vignette.
1637171984505.jpg

Here's a more radical change from the original.
Cropping more and flipping left to right (Yes, this is probably controversial) :)
1637171984505-2.jpg

It’s a very nice moment you’ve caught! I’d crop out the dark shoreline and also remove the white blob in the water at the left, as it draws the eye. Agree with Craig re a light vignette (you shouldn’t really be aware of it) and slightly more contrast… not necessarily “strong”. I would also brush some highlight reduction on the right hand wing of the left hand bird to see if you can bring back some detail. Personally, I like the wider image giving the swans room to move. Editing is a very personal thing, so ignore all of this if you want! Sorry - that turned into a post processing response rather than image critique!

Last edited:
I would increase contrast in the birds feathers by pulling down the highlights slider, NOT with curves or the contrast slider. Curves or contrast slider will both push bright tones to be even brighter. Since the birds feathers are entirely bright, contrast will be reduced within the birds.

Back