My $30K best ever payday..................."Ele's from heaven"

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

marc

"Ele's from heaven"

A herd of elephants cast incredible shadows across the dry Luangwa River floodplain as they journey to the refreshing waters of this dwindling river. The looming shadows of the herd led by the matriarch are clearer than the animals themselves, who seamlessly blend in the textured patterns of the sand below them.
Over the 2 days, my pilot John and I were blessed with beautiful crisp & clear sunny mornings, my aim was to capture wildlife casting long shadows in early light as they traversed the landscape.
Nature's rich tapestry portrayed in shadows from the air was indeed a breathtaking experience.

I was most fortunate in having this image published worldwide and also in winning the first (photographic) prize worth $30K in the "Global March for Elephants & Rhinos" photo & video competition in Dec 2014.

HD Video

Nikon D3s
Nikkor 70-200 VRII
f/4
1/3200s
ISO1600@ 70mm.

D3S_3686BCG.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

How I got the shot, via GoPro's attached to each wingtip. (screenshot)

Pilot, John Coppinger and I micro lighting over the Luangwa floodplain
Over the 2 days we were blessed with beautiful crisp & clear sunny mornings, my aim was to capture wildlife casting long shadows in early light as they traversed the landscape.

EleShadowsBCG.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Cheers
Marc

Last edited:
Amazing Marc. Pretty sure I have seen the elephant photo before. It is fantastic. Thanks for showing us how you got the shot. My fear of heights would so prevent me from trying this!!!

My fear of crashing an ultralight in the dinosaur infested water would stop me... Plane sure, helicopter okay, ultralight Pass. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Awesome shots Marc!

I have admired this shot many times; seeing it often. How cool you're the photog! Nice work. And seeing that it was shot with the D3s, it reminds me I've been meaning to throw my shiny new 180-400 on my D3 to give her a whirl again (so love that camera LOL).

"Ele's from heaven"

A herd of elephants cast incredible shadows across the dry Luangwa River floodplain as they journey to the refreshing waters of this dwindling river. The looming shadows of the herd led by the matriarch are clearer than the animals themselves, who seamlessly blend in the textured patterns of the sand below them.
Over the 2 days, my pilot John and I were blessed with beautiful crisp & clear sunny mornings, my aim was to capture wildlife casting long shadows in early light as they traversed the landscape.
Nature's rich tapestry portrayed in shadows from the air was indeed a breathtaking experience.

I was most fortunate in having this image published worldwide and also in winning the first (photographic) prize worth $30K in the "Global March for Elephants & Rhinos" photo & video competition in Dec 2014.

HD Video

Nikon D3s
Nikkor 70-200 VRII
f/4
1/3200s
ISO1600@ 70mm.

View attachment 6794

Over the 2 days we were blessed with beautiful crisp & clear sunny mornings, my aim was to capture wildlife casting long shadows in early light as they traversed the landscape.

View attachment 6795

Cheers
Marc
Natgeo class shot. Prize for image and bravery!

That's a cool shot! Amazing how good that D3s looks even today.

And seeing that it was shot with the D3s, it reminds me I've been meaning to throw my shiny new 180-400 on my D3 to give her a whirl again (so love that camera LOL).

Agree guys, I loved that model, a joy to work with! Along with the D3 they were a game changer. (y)

"Ele's from heaven"

HD Video

Nikon D3s
Nikkor 70-200 VRII
f/4
1/3200s
ISO1600@ 70mm.

View attachment 6794

View attachment 6795

Cheers
Marc
Oh my god! Amazing!

Back