My Favorite Serengeti Pics From 2024 :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
We did a workshop in the Serengeti earlier this year on the edge of the rainy season and I think it was one of my best - if not THE best - experience I have ever had photographing wildlife. We had all kinds of moody weather and experienced everything sun, clouds, rain, fog, rainbows, storms, the entire gamut. The greens dominated the scenes making the wildlife really stand out. It was a fantastic trip and below are just a few of my favorites from that trip - including an incredibly rare caracal!

BTW - we're heading back with two groups next year if you want to join us. It a great way to get both the "standard" Africa shots as well as unique shots that no one else has :)

20240406-Z91_4511-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

20240409-Z91_9450-Enhanced-NR-Edit-3.jpg

20240409-Z8D_9781-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2.jpg

20240404-Z91_7351-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2.jpg

20240415-Z8D_2830-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

20240413-Z8D_2463-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20240411-Z91_2427-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

20240412-Z91_4091-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2.jpg

Superb images, Steve! Indeed you capitalized on the amazing photo ops in the Serengeti! #2 and 3 are particularly impressive! How did you get such a low perspective in those two shots? Since you used the 100-400 for the hyena shot, it must have been close and bringing you its prize!

Superb images, Steve! Indeed you capitalized on the amazing photo ops in the Serengeti! #2 and 3 are particularly impressive! How did you get such a low perspective in those two shots? Since you used the 100-400 for the hyena shot, it must have been close and bringing you its prize!
Thanks - I just wiggled down as low as I could in the vehicle. I often try to have the driver position in a lower spot when possible - I think that's probably what happened with the Hyena and I know it's what happened (more on accident that time) for the caracal.

Last edited:
Fantastic shots Steve. I don't think I could pick a favorite. If pushed in a corner, the leopard black and white and the zebra in the rain would most likely be the ones. The leopard just screams power, majesty and that deep primal fear of being killed and consumed by a predator. The zebra in the rain is more of the type of shots I try to capture. It tells the story of the everyday struggle for survival. Everything in nature is a struggle, even standing in a driving rain.

Again beautiful shots.

Jeff

Fantastic shots Steve. I don't think I could pick a favorite. If pushed in a corner, the leopard black and white and the zebra in the rain would most likely be the ones. The leopard just screams power, majesty and that deep primal fear of being killed and consumed by a predator. The zebra in the rain is more of the type of shots I try to capture. It tells the story of the everyday struggle for survival. Everything in nature is a struggle, even standing in a driving rain.

Again beautiful shots.

Jeff
Thanks - that zebra is one of my favorites. It's one of the reasons I am going back that same time of year in 2025. We just had so much great weather and it made for so many cool opportunities and interesting shots. The sad thing is I have dozens just like these but haven't had a chance to process them...yet!

Thanks - that zebra is one of my favorites. It's one of the reasons I am going back that same time of year in 2025. We just had so much great weather and it made for so many cool opportunities and interesting shots. The sad thing is I have dozens just like these but haven't had a chance to process them...yet!
Steve,
Not a thing sad about that! I shot 400 shots yesterday of caterpillars, butterflies, spiders and one cool sequence of a crab spider narrowly missing a skipper butterfly breakfast. I have not edited or processed half of them yet. I would say the happy thing is you still have dozens of photos like these to process and re-live the experience.

Jeff

Steve: All great shots. I am not usually a big fan of B&W wildlife shots, but there are exceptions, and your shots are in that category. Just curious, did you think about a B&W version of the Zebra or is that too cliched or just did not work? Thanks, Ken
I tired it and I didn't like it - it loses something. I think the cool colors help with the feeling of the shot.

Steve,
Not a thing sad about that! I shot 400 shots yesterday of caterpillars, butterflies, spiders and one cool sequence of a crab spider narrowly missing a skipper butterfly breakfast. I have not edited or processed half of them yet. I would say the happy thing is you still have dozens of photos like these to process and re-live the experience.

Jeff
Yeah, I just wish I had more time to process things. I feel like I leave a lot of really nice shots on the hard drive never to be seen again.

We did a workshop in the Serengeti earlier this year on the edge of the rainy season and I think it was one of my best - if not THE best - experience I have ever had photographing wildlife. We had all kinds of moody weather and experienced everything sun, clouds, rain, fog, rainbows, storms, the entire gamut. The greens dominated the scenes making the wildlife really stand out. It was a fantastic trip and below are just a few of my favorites from that trip - including an incredibly rare caracal!

BTW - we're heading back with two groups next year if you want to join us. It a great way to get both the "standard" Africa shots as well as unique shots that no one else has :)

View attachment 96596

View attachment 96597
View attachment 96598
View attachment 96599
View attachment 96600
View attachment 96601
View attachment 96602
View attachment 96603
Beautiful Steve👍👍👍

View attachment 96596

View attachment 96597
View attachment 96598
View attachment 96599
View attachment 96600
View attachment 96601
View attachment 96602
View attachment 96603
Maestro!

Back