My Favorite Serengeti Pics From 2024 :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Is that the sunrise day with the rainbow lion. You said it might have been the best lion portrait you ever got. Looking forward to Botswana in August with you and Rose…and Luanne from the Serengeti trip is along the first week as well.
I don't know if that was the same day. The portrait I was referring to is the first one - and I think it may be my best (although, I have a couple others that are close, depends on the day LOL).

I don't know if that was the same day. The portrait I was referring to is the first one - and I think it may be my best (although, I have a couple others that are close, depends on the day LOL).
It was that morning with the whole pride right after sunrise with the rainbow when you said that and it looks like the almost identical pose I got (although f4 blurred the background nicely and I had to use the lens blur in LR since I was f6.3 or maybe higher if I had the TC on…can’t remember. great shots all…and while I had a complete blast…I was disappointed with no leopard…but then serval and caracal and again I have almost identical shots of the latter were special enough that I will overlook the fact you found no leopard for us…at least until Botswana when even Connie says you need to find one.

Do you do prints yourself and if so what do you use…or do you use a commercial outfit and if so who? I want to get a few shots from my 2 workshops this year printed and am torn between the Rpson EcoTank that does up to 13x19 or going the other way as I don’t really print much at all.

Last edited:
I will overlook the fact you found no leopard for us…

LOL, it's almost like it's not a zoo :D We'll work on the leopard for sure - they are really hit and miss in both places, although the Okavango is usually good. :)

Do you do prints yourself and if so what do you use…or do you use a commercial outfit and if so who? I want to get a few shots from my 2 workshops this year printed and am torn between the Rpson EcoTank that does up to 13x19 or going the other way as I don’t really print much at all.

I used to print them myself, but it's all just too much for how infrequently I print. I've been using Bay Photo with good success - I'd say give them a try. I really like their metal prints.

LOL, it's almost like it's not a zoo :D We'll work on the leopard for sure - they are really hit and miss in both places, although the Okavango is usually good. :)

I used to print them myself, but it's all just too much for how infrequently I print. I've been using Bay Photo with good success - I'd say give them a try. I really like their metal prints.
Thanks…will check them out because I print so little of anything that the cartridges would dry out before they got used.

A very nice collection @Steve (y)

Where exactly in the Serengeti did you venture? Did you manage to capture any Cheetah hunts? Not seeing Leopard was unusual, but the Caracal sighting certainly made up for it.
The Serengeti/Mara EcoSystems experienced unprecedented rainfall and associated flooding this season with many camps along the Mara literally being swept away!
This kept a lot of the migration in both the East & West relishing the lush grassland and consequently saw them arrive very late for the Mara river crossings.
This was the first time in over 20+ yrs I did not go, changing my plans to the private Mara Conservancies in Kenya.

However......that being said, there are still beautiful photographic opportunities to be had, and your trip proved that! ;)

A very nice collection @Steve (y)

Where exactly in the Serengeti did you venture? Did you manage to capture any Cheetah hunts? Not seeing Leopard was unusual, but the Caracal sighting certainly made up for it.
The Serengeti/Mara EcoSystems experienced unprecedented rainfall and associated flooding this season with many camps along the Mara literally being swept away!
This kept a lot of the migration in both the East & West relishing the lush grassland and consequently saw them arrive very late for the Mara river crossings.
This was the first time in over 20+ yrs I did not go, changing my plans to the private Mara Conservancies in Kenya.

However......that being said, there are still beautiful photographic opportunities to be had, and your trip proved that! ;)
We were mostly in the Semetu and Woodlands (Southern) areas. Most of the game was in that area when we were there.

Leopards were scarce, but it's wildlife - you never know what you'll see. Over the years, I've found that there are always exceptions, even when a certain species is relatively reliable.

We missed a cheetah hunt (several cheetahs involved) by just a bit - they seem to have found a young Thompsons Gazelle hiding and made the most of it. Had a few close ones but nothing materialized when we were around. This time :) Maybe next year.

It was really rainy towards the end but the weather really made the trip - it was just fantastic. Low crowds, interesting skies, rain, etc., - it really gave us some unique opportunities. :)

Back