My first impression on the Nikon Zf

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jhallettbc

Supporting Member
Marketplace
After reading all the advice and observations I got about the Nikon Zf, I bought a used one on Thursday. I am very impressed with it. For starters the AF is clearly in another league than my Z6ii which I am selling. Easy to believe it has Expeed 7. This was the main reason I wanted to replace my Z6ii. The camera’s ability to focus on eyes is amazing. From across a room using a 35 mm lens it can pick out an eye and the results are tack sharp. As I played with it, the VR blew me away. I can hand hold a lens without VR, like the Z24-120 or the F-mount 105 f1.4 E to as low as an 1/8 of a second, maybe lower. Unbelievable. Certainly a step up from the Z9. Another feature I’m sure is going to appear in new Nikon models is using the touch screen for moving the AF area. I am using my thumb on the bottom half of the screen and I much prefer it to the joy stick on the Z9 and all the other Nikon models. That was a very pleasant surprise.

One of my main concerns was the lack of a bigger grip but the reality was within a half hour of using it I adapted and never thought “I miss a bigger grip”. I am not planning to use big telephotos on it but if I did, there are excellent reviews of the Small Rig grip. The manual dials take some getting use to but I like them. Of course you can configure the camera so you can bypass them. I kind of like using the shutter speed dial because it is not much different than turning the command dial on a Z9, just a different movement.

The swivelling screen is great and I love the fact you can turn it so it is turned inside and totally protected. And last but not least is the retro look. I have never had a digital camera that I looked at (going back as far as the D100) and went ‘wow’.

Thank you for a very nice summary
I originally ordered a Sunset Orange as a backup/walk around for my Z8 and bought a black Zf while waiting.
Started using the black Zf and find I tend to grab it first for all the reasons you describe.
“Wow” pops into my mind frequently when using it.

Glad you like it!

I’m with you on the grip. I god an accessory grip, but I regret doing so now. The biggest lens I use in the Zf is the 105/1.4 or 24-200, and neither need a grip to be comfortable to use. And when I DID use my 100-400 on my Zf, I had my strap on the lens rather than the body, so I didn’t need a grip even then.

A couple new features that I found fun to play with on the Zf are Rich Tone Portrait and HLG. Check them out as you’re learning the camera. You’ll be surprised at how the EVF looks in HLG (although I don’t actually shoot in HDR), and Rich Tone Portrait gets my photos really close to my desired look, SOOC, which saves me time.

Glad you like it!

I’m with you on the grip. I god an accessory grip, but I regret doing so now. The biggest lens I use in the Zf is the 105/1.4 or 24-200, and neither need a grip to be comfortable to use. And when I DID use my 100-400 on my Zf, I had my strap on the lens rather than the body, so I didn’t need a grip even then.

A couple new features that I found fun to play with on the Zf are Rich Tone Portrait and HLG. Check them out as you’re learning the camera. You’ll be surprised at how the EVF looks in HLG (although I don’t actually shoot in HDR), and Rich Tone Portrait gets my photos really close to my desired look, SOOC, which saves me time.

Thanks for the advice.
I’ll do exactly that today at my family Easter gathering.

Glad you like it!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try out Rich Tone Portrait and HLG.

Update. I took both my Zf and Z9 out and shot some photos of ducks. I the AF on the Zf appears to have excellent eye detection. I used 3D and a little black box appeared around the eye. I was using the animal option. I imagine Nikon will add bird eye detection in a future firmware update. I could not tell the difference in the photos taken with the 2 cameras when they were the same size on the screen. These were bird shot that didn't have to be cropped. Otherwise the Z9 is the only way to go.
Again the camera amazes me.

I have found the new Rich Tone Portrait (new to Z9 with fw5.0) to be great when I am doing my gig for my church indoors and outdoors with people.

Looks like a great camera. I tried to get my wife to let me get her a ZF but she said no when she saw that it weighed more than here Z7II .... she is small and has scoliosis and arthritis so is very sensitive to the weight.

I have found the new Rich Tone Portrait (new to Z9 with fw5.0) to be great when I am doing my gig for my church indoors and outdoors with people.

Looks like a great camera. I tried to get my wife to let me get her a ZF but she said no when she saw that it weighed more than here Z7II .... she is small and has scoliosis and arthritis so is very sensitive to the weight.
In Feb I shot a school ceremony with my Zf and 24-200 lens. The skin softening capability worked very well. Overall image quality was excellent. Didn’t try the Rich Tone control, though.

I got the Smallrig Grip and a JJC ThumbRest.

Now I don't feel any more difference between short and long lenses.
I shoot handheld all my lenses including 70-300E+FTZ and 180-600Z+1.4TC.

The most interesting experiences are on the street with the TTartisan 50f2 manual.

( I bought it for birds and now I'm surprised how much it is fun in the streets )

2024-02-23 17.34.34_Zf.DxO.jpg

After reading all the advice and observations I got about the Nikon Zf, I bought a used one on Thursday. I am very impressed with it. For starters the AF is clearly in another league than my Z6ii which I am selling. Easy to believe it has Expeed 7. This was the main reason I wanted to replace my Z6ii. The camera’s ability to focus on eyes is amazing. From across a room using a 35 mm lens it can pick out an eye and the results are tack sharp. As I played with it, the VR blew me away. I can hand hold a lens without VR, like the Z24-120 or the F-mount 105 f1.4 E to as low as an 1/8 of a second, maybe lower. Unbelievable. Certainly a step up from the Z9. Another feature I’m sure is going to appear in new Nikon models is using the touch screen for moving the AF area. I am using my thumb on the bottom half of the screen and I much prefer it to the joy stick on the Z9 and all the other Nikon models. That was a very pleasant surprise.

One of my main concerns was the lack of a bigger grip but the reality was within a half hour of using it I adapted and never thought “I miss a bigger grip”. I am not planning to use big telephotos on it but if I did, there are excellent reviews of the Small Rig grip. The manual dials take some getting use to but I like them. Of course you can configure the camera so you can bypass them. I kind of like using the shutter speed dial because it is not much different than turning the command dial on a Z9, just a different movement.

The swivelling screen is great and I love the fact you can turn it so it is turned inside and totally protected. And last but not least is the retro look. I have never had a digital camera that I looked at (going back as far as the D100) and went ‘wow’.
Its defiantly a great tool, those that have it in our club love it, lots to be said about it being good.

My self i was looking at it but got the great deal on a Z8 after selling my nice Z9, and of course i love 45mp plus.

It will be interesting what the Z7III will come out with.

I have a Z8 and will need a second body once I can save up. I have had a mild interest in this camera but this thread has me looking more closely at it. The post on NikonRumors yesterday showing the sanded down dials to reveal the brass look really cool.
The one thing that makes me hesitate is there is no L bracket for vertical mounting on an Arca Swiss tripod head. That and the low 24MP (30MP would be ideal IMO).

I have a Z8 and will need a second body once I can save up. I have had a mild interest in this camera but this thread has me looking more closely at it. The post on NikonRumors yesterday showing the sanded down dials to reveal the brass look really cool.
The one thing that makes me hesitate is there is no L bracket for vertical mounting on an Arca Swiss tripod head. That and the low 24MP (30MP would be ideal IMO).
I am not concerned about the 24 MP. I'll just use my Z9 when I night need to crop. However I've found that even cropping the Zf still gives excellent results. Wouldn't do that with bird photos though.

I am not concerned about the 24 MP. I'll just use my Z9 when I night need to crop. However I've found that even cropping the Zf still gives excellent results. Wouldn't do that with bird photos though.
More then often I shoot in >Dx mode< when I need to fill the frame composing the 1.4TC +180-600Z.

I was surprised how many pics I was able to utterly crop in edit,
without losing too much and getting satisfying results.

( on a 65" 4k monitor )

110mt Test photo @1260mmEq cropped to 70%

2024-02-15 12.21.49-1_Zf.DxO-Topaz.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I believe but not 100% certain that the VR mechanism in the ZF is different to that in the Z8 Z9, and goes to 8 stops instead of 5 like the Z8 Z9.

The ZF ability to focus in low light low contrast subject jumps from 8 stops in the Z8 Z9 to 10 a 25% improvement, i assume a benefit for video but one would also assume for stills possibly but not certain to allow lock on tracking to work better again for low contrast subjects on the move.

With the ZF new VR system you can actually shoot waterfalls at super slow shutter speed hand held,
its even more amazing if you have a steady holding technique, NO MONO or TRI POD excellent for traveling or hiking.

Its logical to expect these two key ZF features or better will be in the Z6III, Z7III, or even a better version in the Z9II, how they get these benefits into the current Z8 i don't know i feel its not possible unless they bring out a Z8 II following the Z9 II.

Club member's have been impressed with their ZF speed and ISO performance. Many of but not all of the new ZF owners have upgraded from the D500 yet many have still kept their D500. Others from the D7200 D750 Z6II.

In my case i would love a ZF, as i am also a happy DF owner still, but for the extra $1200 USD i took the Z8 over the ZF.

While i feel the Z8 is defiantly a better camera overall than the ZF, the key factors important to me in the Z8 is the optional speeds and defiantly 45 mp and i could always flick the Z8 into DX mode at a touch of a button. Ok, i have been told that the Z8 has an edge on focusing tracking speed over the ZF, personally i don't know but that has come from several Pros that have both cameras and a good handle on things.

The overall feed back from club members is they ALL love their ZF, that said, some member's have recently entered into the Fuji or Olympus system more so Fuji as a second system, and some have switched completely.

We have had a little growth with new member's interestingly mostly bringing in Fuji and some Olympus then Sony, no new growth members bringing in Nikon or Canon.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
The Zf indeed has 8 stops of VR. It is amazing. I can hand hold my non VR Nikon 105 f1.4 down to 1/10 sec and get a tack sharp photo.
Its amazing isn't it, wait till you do some waterfall shots hand held, the club owners of the ZF say the same Love it, now that said i have on my Z9 and Z8 got at F2.8 on my 70-200 FL down to 1/20th of a second and on my D850 surprisingly 1/30th 1/40th, the D850 had the grip and heavy battery, a bit of a Leica heavier is more stable principal, LOL.

Enjoy your ZF, its an awesome tool. I have just had Nikon upload the latest firmware on my new Z8 while i had some lunch at IKEA the 6th largest restaurant network in the world ? so i have been told LOL

Only an opinion

I ordered my Zf last November, kind of an impulse / FOMO purchase. Figured I'd get it out of my system and send it back, assuming I'd have buyer's remorse after a quick unboxing.

Well here it is 5 months later and the Zf rarely leaves my side. It's an ideal companion to my Z8, each body having its own specific use case. I appreciate having a 45mp and a 24mp body. I also picked up the 26 2.8 which really makes the Zf so easy to grab & go, even with the SmallRig grip (which is must-have IMO / for me). Image quality is super and I love that little B&W switch, to the point where I'm mostly shooting B&W with the Zf (in RAW of course, so I can swap to color in post when I like). Just a cool, fun camera to use and easy enough to keep in my bag on outings, next to my Z8 with longer lenses.

Really hoping that Cycle AF Mode makes its way to the Zf in the next firmware update, especially with the smaller number of custom buttons.

I ordered my Zf last November, kind of an impulse / FOMO purchase. Figured I'd get it out of my system and send it back, assuming I'd have buyer's remorse after a quick unboxing.

Well here it is 5 months later and the Zf rarely leaves my side. It's an ideal companion to my Z8, each body having its own specific use case. I appreciate having a 45mp and a 24mp body. I also picked up the 26 2.8 which really makes the Zf so easy to grab & go, even with the SmallRig grip (which is must-have IMO / for me). Image quality is super and I love that little B&W switch, to the point where I'm mostly shooting B&W with the Zf (in RAW of course, so I can swap to color in post when I like). Just a cool, fun camera to use and easy enough to keep in my bag on outings, next to my Z8 with longer lenses.

Really hoping that Cycle AF Mode makes its way to the Zf in the next firmware update, especially with the smaller number of custom buttons.
The Cycle AF mode would be great.

Glad the ZF is meeting your expectations. As someone who learned photography on a beat up Nikon FM, both the Zf and Df had a great nostalgic appeal to me.

I handled a Zf in my local camera store a few weeks ago and it feels like a solid, well built machine. Admittedly, it was a little bulkier than I thought it would be from photos, but I enjoyed the old school feel of the dials. Ended up buying a Z8 instead because I use my Nikon gear mainly for wildlife and it works better (for me anyway) with long glass. But the Zf was definitely a beauty!

Back