My latest wildlife photography accessory

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was thinking the tripod for handsfree use and using the screen rather than the viewfinder especially if just drifting or when boat becomes a floating blind. And good point (also made by a couple others) re too close with the 500/700w1.4 pf, which I experience on land, let alone in a boat meant to get me closer. 180-400 would work, but it's so heavy it'll be awhile before I trust myself enough to put it in the boat. 70-200 will have to come along, as well I'm thinking.
Makes sense. A tripod could fit in a canoe. And might be helpful in calmer waters.

I couldn't use a tripod in my kayak cockpit. And I am not sure a monopod would be all that helpful. I have seen someone who physically attached a tripod to her kayak.

Makes sense. A tripod could fit in a canoe. And might be helpful in calmer waters.

I couldn't use a tripod in my kayak cockpit. And I am not sure a monopod would be all that helpful. I have seen someone who physically attached a tripod to her kayak.
I'd certainly only have the camera on the tripod when not paddling. Swift has a thwart you can add that has mounting thingys on it (photos show go pros or cell phones on single vertical posts. I'm thinking with a heavy wildlife camera/lens combo balance (weighing nearly half the weight of the boat) the boat might want to swing under the gear :)

I was thinking the tripod for handsfree use and using the screen rather than the viewfinder especially if just drifting or when boat becomes a floating blind. And good point (also made by a couple others) re too close with the 500/700w1.4 pf, which I experience on land, let alone in a boat meant to get me closer. 180-400 would work, but it's so heavy it'll be awhile before I trust myself enough to put it in the boat. 70-200 will have to come along, as well I'm thinking.
Steven,
A number of years ago while camping in Grundy Lake Provincial Park, I saw a photographer in a canoe with a camera mounted on a tripod. She was taking photos of a blue heron, but was a bit too far away for me to see how she had the tripod attached to the canoe. I've often thought of doing the same, but have never gotten around to it.. I still think that the biggest problem that you'll encounter will be being blown down the lake or river if it's windy...I have and my canoe is a bit heavier (62 lbs) than yours, although my canoe is longer than yours and gathers more wind:(. I find twisting about in the canoe - always kneeling - poses no problems, but then I've been canoeing for a long time and my canoe is made from a Chestnut Prospector mold and of course, the Chestnut Prospector is famously known as the workhorse of the north and is arguably the best all round canoe design , especially for whitewater. Very stable in either of the 2 stable canoe positions.
All this canoeing talk makes me want to get out on a river in my canoe, unfortunately it's a nasty day out - snow squalls....
cheers,
Alex

Real winter (10 cm of snow) arrived within hours of my taking the boat off my car after picking it up from the builder, so it's going to have to wait for spring. Those of you who shoot from a canoe/kayak, I welcome all tips and advice for getting the shot AND keeping the gear in the boat LOL

Swift Canoe. Prospector, solo. 14 feet, Kevlar hull, carbon most everything else. 28 pounds!

View attachment 49406View attachment 49407
BRILLIANT MATE LOVE IT

I had to give up the BBQ option for the electric bailer and its solar panels :) I've paddled in open lakes in some 'shouldn't be there' waves in surprise weather and (cluelessly?) had full trust in the boat -- would have been interesting in a 28 pound boat, however! Not going to do that sort of paddling in this boat, tho. Generally I've never felt tippy at all in a canoe, certainly in the kneel position. Definitely a function of what boats I've been in. Will definitely be a learning curve if I'm going to sit upright while holding 15 pounds of camera gear -- gonna change the centre of gravity a wee bit LOL
Mine was a big bright red beast ( not to clandestine) about 60 lbs wood fiberglass 2 seater. Keep us posted how 26 lb handles, that is really a nice weight. May look to one of those inflatables with solid bottom that they say can stand in or possibly use my fishing float tube but not sure how that will keep my equipment safe yet. I should start a thread if anybody has done photography from float tube and what adaptations did they do to make work.

Can you lower the thwart/seat? It looks high and lowering it would increase stability. Maybe just the angle of your pic gives it that appearance. Pick up a small mushroom anchor or fill a coffee can with cement. If the wind picks up, it can help hold your position to take pics.

Steven,
A number of years ago while camping in Grundy Lake Provincial Park, I saw a photographer in a canoe with a camera mounted on a tripod. She was taking photos of a blue heron, but was a bit too far away for me to see how she had the tripod attached to the canoe. I've often thought of doing the same, but have never gotten around to it.. I still think that the biggest problem that you'll encounter will be being blown down the lake or river if it's windy...I have and my canoe is a bit heavier (62 lbs) than yours, although my canoe is longer than yours and gathers more wind:(. I find twisting about in the canoe - always kneeling - poses no problems, but then I've been canoeing for a long time and my canoe is made from a Chestnut Prospector mold and of course, the Chestnut Prospector is famously known as the workhorse of the north and is arguably the best all round canoe design , especially for whitewater. Very stable in either of the 2 stable canoe positions.
All this canoeing talk makes me want to get out on a river in my canoe, unfortunately it's a nasty day out - snow squalls....
cheers,
Alex
There are a couple of youtube videos of guys with tripods in their canoes; a couple precisely to get the camera better at viewfinder/eye level, but both I've watched sort of glaze over any real discussion of the tripod set up -- one does appear bungied to a thwart :) I'm thinking, as above, that even greater stability if the tripod simply is gunwale height and use the flip up screen.... I think you're right about drift in the wind, but any real wind and I'll be avoiding open water if I've got the camera out, tho maybe if the drift is fast enough it can provide some panning blur to the background :) Know the Prospector; my boat carries the same name. With my two seater I chose the Dumoine (from swift) for a few reasons over a Prospector for tripping. The Dumoine 'saved our lives'd when test paddling boats in white water so we thought we'd reward it by choosing it :) And yah, been way, way too long since I've canoed and now that I've got a single and it has to sit for at least 4 months before I get to play in it is killing me! Where the boat is stored had squall warnings with threats of up to 50 cm of snow (the friendly side of the storm that walloped NY state). Cheers!

Can you lower the thwart/seat? It looks high and lowering it would increase stability. Maybe just the angle of your pic gives it that appearance. Pick up a small mushroom anchor or fill a coffee can with cement. If the wind picks up, it can help hold your position to take pics.
Yes the seat in photo is at top; it has a lower level, almost to floor of the boat. I chose the adjustable seat as to date at least I prefer kneeling in a canoe, but looking forward to sitting up (and low) and good to have that option.

Mine was a big bright red beast ( not to clandestine) about 60 lbs wood fiberglass 2 seater. Keep us posted how 26 lb handles, that is really a nice weight. May look to one of those inflatables with solid bottom that they say can stand in or possibly use my fishing float tube but not sure how that will keep my equipment safe yet. I should start a thread if anybody has done photography from float tube and what adaptations did they do to make work.
We used to count the red paint marks from where Grumman red aluminum boats had hit rocks in rivers when we were tripping :) I've been meaning to buy a single canoe for over a decade now and when I got close to being serious about buying a floating photography blind I kind of slapped my forehead and thought a canoe can easily be used that way PLUS when not a blind I've got a canoe! :) Think in my Youtube travels I saw a guy who had fashioned his fishing float tube into a photography blind, but I'd love to hear from others here as well what folks are using. Still like to try floating in a photography blind in my favourite marsh -- have to protect my toes (and other bits) from snapping turtles! :)

There are a couple of youtube videos of guys with tripods in their canoes; a couple precisely to get the camera better at viewfinder/eye level, but both I've watched sort of glaze over any real discussion of the tripod set up -- one does appear bungied to a thwart :) I'm thinking, as above, that even greater stability if the tripod simply is gunwale height and use the flip up screen.... I think you're right about drift in the wind, but any real wind and I'll be avoiding open water if I've got the camera out, tho maybe if the drift is fast enough it can provide some panning blur to the background :) Know the Prospector; my boat carries the same name. With my two seater I chose the Dumoine (from swift) for a few reasons over a Prospector for tripping. The Dumoine 'saved our lives'd when test paddling boats in white water so we thought we'd reward it by choosing it :) And yah, been way, way too long since I've canoed and now that I've got a single and it has to sit for at least 4 months before I get to play in it is killing me! Where the boat is stored had squall warnings with threats of up to 50 cm of snow (the friendly side of the storm that walloped NY state). Cheers!
I looked through my photos to see if I had a pic of the canoe/tripod rig, but no luck, alas.
Here's a suggestion to help relieve the wait....when I was much younger, and a bit more adventurous (or foolish), a friend and I took my fibreglass prospector canoe to the courthouse hill in Peterborough where I then lived. It was right after a big snowfall and we 'canoed' down the hill, Great fun :) until the police came and suggested that we go home. My canoe was an old veteran of many trips by then, so it was scratched and so forth. Yours, of course is brand new, and I could see that you might not want to do this for its first journey.....

I shoot from my canoes a lot and a crisp spring morning with mist hanging on the water makes for some fine shots of wildlife. my advice would be to throw away the double paddle that those canoes are designed for and get a single paddle.. double paddles will drip water into your boat. they are also harder to make fine adjustments with. the second piece of advice has to be, use your bag as a trim weight, I don't know how well you understand the dynamics of a canoe but trim is everything. bow heavy into the wind and bow light with a tail wind. if you get this stuff nailed down you will save a lot of energy and put yourself right on the money shot. best of luck

We used to count the red paint marks from where Grumman red aluminum boats had hit rocks in rivers when we were tripping :) I've been meaning to buy a single canoe for over a decade now and when I got close to being serious about buying a floating photography blind I kind of slapped my forehead and thought a canoe can easily be used that way PLUS when not a blind I've got a canoe! :) Think in my Youtube travels I saw a guy who had fashioned his fishing float tube into a photography blind, but I'd love to hear from others here as well what folks are using. Still like to try floating in a photography blind in my favourite marsh -- have to protect my toes (and other bits) from snapping turtles! :)
I'll cruise you tube see if can find float tube/photography. Canoe will be faster and drier! Enjoy. No snapping turtles here !

I looked through my photos to see if I had a pic of the canoe/tripod rig, but no luck, alas.
Here's a suggestion to help relieve the wait....when I was much younger, and a bit more adventurous (or foolish), a friend and I took my fibreglass prospector canoe to the courthouse hill in Peterborough where I then lived. It was right after a big snowfall and we 'canoed' down the hill, Great fun :) until the police came and suggested that we go home. My canoe was an old veteran of many trips by then, so it was scratched and so forth. Yours, of course is brand new, and I could see that you might not want to do this for its first journey.....
LOL Great story. My gawd but the gelcoat would go on snow I'm thinking!

I shoot from my canoes a lot and a crisp spring morning with mist hanging on the water makes for some fine shots of wildlife. my advice would be to throw away the double paddle that those canoes are designed for and get a single paddle.. double paddles will drip water into your boat. they are also harder to make fine adjustments with. the second piece of advice has to be, use your bag as a trim weight, I don't know how well you understand the dynamics of a canoe but trim is everything. bow heavy into the wind and bow light with a tail wind. if you get this stuff nailed down you will save a lot of energy and put yourself right on the money shot. best of luck
Some good thinking points, and advice, thanks. I own a few single paddles so will be figuring out which method is best; it's been a very long time, sadly, but I am able to navigate a boat solo with a single paddle (from a single side, I mean). The seasoned (instructor) canoeist who sold me the boat said I'd been won over by the double for the kind of 'fine tuning' paddling I'd likely be doing as a photographer, but I'm still with you and we'll see :) At the weight of the boat I'd already thought about getting a new big dog to ride along :D , or putting ballast bags in the boat; I'm barely at 160 myself (boat will take 400) so agreed some extra weight in the boat will really help. Cheers.

Some good thinking points, and advice, thanks. I own a few single paddles so will be figuring out which method is best; it's been a very long time, sadly, but I am able to navigate a boat solo with a single paddle (from a single side, I mean). The seasoned (instructor) canoeist who sold me the boat said I'd been won over by the double for the kind of 'fine tuning' paddling I'd likely be doing as a photographer, but I'm still with you and we'll see :) At the weight of the boat I'd already thought about getting a new big dog to ride along :D , or putting ballast bags in the boat; I'm barely at 160 myself (boat will take 400) so agreed some extra weight in the boat will really help. Cheers.
My vote would be for a single paddle as well - they are shorter and more easily stowed, and if you get one with a T-grip, you can use it to hook onto things and pull them towards you (or you towards them if heavy enough).
As to eroding the gel coat on my fibreglass Prospector...not an issue as the snow was fresh and non-abrasive.
You could also rig up a sea anchor in windy conditions - a metal pail attached to a rope would help a bit. Here's a link to a Youtube video:

Nice canoe, that is crazy light! I went with a fishing kayak earlier this year, a Hobie Pro Angler 12. While it is a bit heftier at over 100 lbs, it is super stable, has a very comfortable adjustable seat, stays very dry and I really like the pedal drive which leaves my hands free for the camera.

AAD7EE73-4236-4C17-A70C-4629F3398813.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My vote would be for a single paddle as well - they are shorter and more easily stowed, and if you get one with a T-grip, you can use it to hook onto things and pull them towards you (or you towards them if heavy enough).
As to eroding the gel coat on my fibreglass Prospector...not an issue as the snow was fresh and non-abrasive.
You could also rig up a sea anchor in windy conditions - a metal pail attached to a rope would help a bit. Here's a link to a Youtube video:
I meant that the gelcoat would make for a very good toboggan surface -- fast! :) In my experience 'pulling' to get somewhere in a canoe is not the most stable option :) If the winds are such I need a sea anchor I think I'll be shooting from shore or just canoeing without camera, but I like the idea; been on sailboats using them a few times. Cheers!

Nice canoe, that is crazy light! I went with a fishing kayak earlier this year, a Hobie Pro Angler 12. While it is a bit heftier at over 100 lbs, it is super stable, has a very comfortable adjustable seat, stays very dry and I really like the pedal drive which leaves my hands free for the camera.

View attachment 49705
If I lived on the water that would be a great option for a water platform for photography, but 100lb I'd need a trailer and a boat launch to use it :) Pretty cool looking rig, tho!

I like the idea of a nice light canoe I could handle myself. My experience has been they can be a bit unstable if you are not careful. I seem to be able to control Sea Kayaks a little better.

I have a fairly large 2-seat Current Designs Sea kayak I have been wanting to take out in Puget Sound. I have a rack for my Series 100 Land Cruiser but my wife isn’t strong or tall enough to help me put it on or take it off. My daughter talked me in to going 50/50 with her which meant I paid for half of her Kayak. She then got me to buy her out when she tired of it so I now have a nice but large Kayak. Selling it and getting a one-seater is an idea.

There has been increasing whale activity that would be fun to get a little closer to. A young Humpback that has been in the South Sound for some time and even Orcas that have been coming down further south than normal. Nice to see the Salish Sea Whale population growing. I could get a neighbor to help me put it on the car and then beg strangers near the boat ramp to take off and then again back on but that isn’t ideal.

It is stable and moves well. Has a large center storage compartment that could even fit a third person in a pinch as well but is also ideal for camera gear. There are additional covered storage in the front and rear as well. It would be bow high with just me in it but it could work. It would be better if I could find someone to go with me.

I would want to take a super telephoto because you are not supposed to get too close and dropping it in salt water would not be good. A bag large enough to work out of seems like it would be a challenge. I would at a minimum need to strap enough of a float to keep it from sinking to the bottom should I drop it, tip over or a whale breaches too close.

My wife and I in the first picture in a lake, my daughter and a previous boyfriend out in Puget Sound in the other two pictures.

G&J_Kayak_72pi.jpg
Kayak_Collage_1000p.jpg

Dang, you guys have some nice setups!

This is my yak, the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120...

IMG_8122.JPG

IMG_8133.JPG

Those were taken on Lake Jesup back in Florida, a lake which supposedly has the highest concentration of gators in the whole state. But also has a TON of ospreys that nest in the big cypress trees. And since I love both gators AND ospreys, it works out pretty well!

The thing I love about this kayak is the removable dashboard. It has a built in drybox, which is great for storing extra batteries, cards, lens cleaning supplies, and such. And ahead of that, it has a short mounting rail where you can mount a gopro or any number of other handy things. Also has a spot for mounting a battery pack (not mounted in these photos) and strapping it in place, so you can recharge things off it or run a small solar panel.

I really gotta find a place to take this thing out now that I'm in California. It's a great little boat and I miss using it.

Back