My latest wildlife photography accessory

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Beautiful canoe - congratulations! I photograph from my canoe fairly often, and although it's larger than yours (Trailhead Prospector, Kevlar, 16 feet) the same rules apply. First, you must remember that a canoe has 2 stable positions. To minimize the possibility of capsizing, I maintain a kneeling position and I have my camera bag secured to my thwart just in case. I've never flipped a canoe whilst photographing and hope that I never do.
Two tips about Kevlar canoes - their lightness makes them much more prone to going where the wind wants to take them, and they have a tendency to form 'star' cracks if dropped onto a rock or 'porpoise' when towed behind a fast boat, since the kevlar is very flexible, but the resin/gel coat is not and the latter forms these 'star' cracks when stressed enough. I always carry a roll of duct tape when canoeing, especially in the wilderness.
Again, lovely canoe :)
cheers,
Alex
Thanks Alex. I've got a good amount of canoeing experience (backcountry tripping mostly and a tiny amount of white water boating) but it's been some time ago (my other canoe is a 17' two seater) and I've never held a camera in a canoe :) I've got a seat with two height options (so I can knee and get my legs/feet under it) and also have one of those 'fishermen's seats with a back on it), but absolutely I'll be doing a bunch of paddling with the camera left in the car for some time but in the beginning I'll be definitely padding from my knees. Picked up a kayak paddle as well. This boat does have great reviews by photographers (and fishermen) for it's stability while sitting upright. I've flipped canoes a few times but always in white water. I'm thinking it'll be mostly a matter of remembering I'm in a canoe when I get excited and want to twist about to get a shot :) And yah, my other boat is ABS and would easily wrap around a rock and spring back if one could pry it off the rock, so I'm expecting more than a few tears with the first scratches. If I decide to trip in the the boat or I find I'm heading to the Canadian Shield too often I'll put skid plates on. In the spring most all the paddling will be in muddy/sandy marsh. PS -- I've been days from anywhere but by canoe and we came upon a Grumman canoe with a tiny hole (surrounded by a dent crater) punched in it, fixed with duct tape! -- they chose to run some water rather than portage (given the weight of those Grumman's I get that decision but one I suspect they regretted! :) ).

that's a nice canoe. I strongly suggest getting one or more appropriate size dry bags. In the unlikely event you do flip the boat, at least the gear in the dry bag stands a chance of both staying dry and not ending up at the bottom of the lake/stream. I shoot from my kayak some it is not my primary platform however I do use it (fishing and photography) and am always paranoid about dumping my stuff in the drink. I started putting camera gear and other necessary things (i.e. dry clothing) in dry bags and leather them to the kayak. If it flips, there is air inside them and they will float for a few seconds and when attached to the boat, they will still be there when you either right the ship or doggie paddle it to shore."

Looking forward to seeing your photos from your new boat.
Thanks. I've got a lot of dry bags kicking about from my days of canoe tripping; I'm thinking I might use a NANUK case for the gear instead (and with some neoprene glued to the lid will make a nice sitting spot for the camera when it's out of the case and not in my hands) and even though those float I'll tie a small float bag or buoy to it. Kevlar doesn't float :) but he boat has built in float tanks however that'll mean empty it'll just have a neutral at best buoyancy -- so it won't go to the bottom :) I don't find canoes overly tippy, tho this one is so light it's been suggested I add a couple of sandbags bow and stern, tho the real goal is to keep the gear (and me) IN the boat :)

Jeff's recommendation of dry bags is a good one. I use one that's long enough to fit my longest camera/telephoto and still able to seal it. I lined it with closed cell foam from a camping/sleeping pad. It holds camera body w/500mm PF with hood attached or 500mm f4 with hood "stored". When traveling I keep the bag sealed. When paddling but ready to shoot I keep the bag open with the camera/lens inside ready to shoot. The bag keeps the kit dry from drips off the paddle and slides out easily when ready to shoot.

As far as keeping the boat right side up, avoid twisting around to shoot as much as possible. IOW point the boat at what you plan to shoot or put it on the side of the boat that's lets you shoot without contorting your body. I'm right handed so for me keeping the left side of the boat toward the subject works. If something pops up to my right a quick backstroke on the right side twists the boat around before pulling the camera from the drybag.

Shooting from a canoe/kayak is a great way to get close to the critters and provides a naturally low POV.
Thanks Dan. Like the idea of 'camera stowed until ready to shoot' suggestion. I'm very comfortable in a canoe but I'm thinking once photographing from one and agree that I'm going to want to get in the habit of remembering I'm in a canoe and not do any of the pirouetting I might be inclined to do on land!

Congratulations. I think you’ll have great fun photographing from your new canoe. I find that I can get closer to waterbirds and wildlife along the shore in a canoe or kayak without disturbing them than I can in other water vehicles (say, a pontoon or hydro-bike). I also like the position you are in in a canoe or kayak— lower to the water than in other water vehicles.

I tend to use a kayak when I am alone, as I find it easier to paddle a kayak solo than a canoe. But I know people who use solo canoes too. I tend to use a canoe when my wife comes along, so we have two paddlers.

I keep my camera or cameras in dry bags when not shooting - I tend to leave the bag open with the camera/lens in it ready to shoot if I am in an area where I expect to see subjects (the bag helps with water dripping or splashing from paddling, but if it is open, it’s quick to get the camera out). When paddling to get somewhere and not in an area where I expect to see subjects, I tend to have the camera/lens in the dry bag closed and if in a canoe, I clip the bag to a thwart, in case I were to capsize. I have a couple of dry bags made by Overboard that are made to fit cameras and lenses and work pretty well, depending on the camera/lens combo (they are not big enough for my Z9 and Z800 PF, but work nicely if I am using a 500 mm PF or Z 100-400, especially with a Z7II, but ok, although a little tight, with a Z9).

I often take two camera/lens combinations. One long (say the 500 mm PF + 1.4x TC) and one short (say the Z 100-400 or F 70-300 AF-P FX), as sometimes siubjects are farther away and sometime close. In good light, I sometimes use the Z 100-400 with a Z 1.4x TC as a one lens solution.
Thanks. Great intel. Will look into those Overboard bags; above I mused that I'm thinking of a NANUK case rather than a bag -- easy to flip open and closed (waterproof and floats). I'm thinking to begin I'll just take the 500 pf so I can worry about keeping it in the boat without worrying about its weight or size. Have you used a tripod? I'm thinking with the Z9's flip screen the camera low to near gunwale level might be a good strategy.

Great advice above. I don't have any photo advice to offer. After thinking about it, I would say, lock it up when not in use. My canoe got borrowed one weekend evening (probably from neighbor kids having a little too much fun), and never returned.

What a beautiful canoe. Enjoy your newfound adventure.
Sorry your boat got nabbed, people are assholes! I'm even in the habit of locking a boat to the roof rack for fear it'll be gone after I go in to pay for gas!

I am guessing that you will find your canoe is the best camera accessory you have purchased when it comes to wildlife photography of animals in and around water. That's how I feel about my kayak. 14 feet and only 28 pounds - fantastic, my 14 foot Pungo 140 weighs 58.

how stable is the kayak? Only been a few times, but already flipped once. Luckily no camera and my wallet and phone were in a zip lock

Nice looking canoe, glad to see it has toe pegs which will make paddling much easier and increase stability, I use a 10' 6" Hornbeck (similar to Nessmuk's legendary Wee Lassie) that weighs about 14 pounds (Kevlar/carbon fiber hull, cherry trim). In mine, the seat rests on the floor with a backrest against the thwart and so it's very stable. Is it possible to lower your seat? I'd suggest you paddle with a kayak paddle for ease of paddling -- it also increases stability -- and carry a short canoe paddle for when you want to be more stealthy and in case you lose your main paddle.

A Pelican case or a waterproof ammo-type can for your camera is easier and quicker to open and close than a dry bag and you may want to keep the camera in a closed/latched case unless you're actually taking a photo. Make sure you tether the case to the thwart so if you do go over it doesn't sink or float away; also make sure one of your paddles is tethered to the boat, it's awfully easy to lose a paddle in the excitement of photographing something special. Never turn your body more than 90 degrees when taking a photo -- and watch where you're going, especially for submerged rocks and stumps. It's really easy to hit an underwater obstacle and roll over so quickly and gently that you can't stop (do not ask!!!!).

I'll second keeping your new canoe locked up, out of sight if possible. If you store it outside make sure it's up off the ground, upside down and use a protective coating (Armor All Protectant or a similar product) to reduce deterioration from sunlight.

Enjoy your new canoe, she looks like a beauty.
Lots of good advice, Woody, thanks. The foot rests (on rails, adjustable -- I went for the plastic ones, a fraction of the carbon version :) ) became a must when I was convinced that a kayak paddle was the way I wanted to go, especially for photography canoeing (vs tripping). The seat has two heights, almost to the floor and then a traditional height (feet and lower legs underneath room, if kneeling). I also grabbed a seat back ('fisherman's seat' they're often called). And yup, when sold the carbon paddle I asked if carbon floats (knowing the answer) and then asked for a paddle leash :) And I hear ya re the deadheads! Most especially in the waters I'm most likely to be in for the most part. I haven't been able to play with the roll of this boat but I'm told it's equal to or even more stable than my tripping/white water (70/30) boat and as tipping that boat... we could roll the gunwales to the water vigorously from starboard to port repeatedly -- a great deal of effort required to flip her in flat water; now me leaving the boat while doing that silliness -- very easy :). But again I hear ya -- a 28 pound feather of boat is going to flip a WHOLE lot easier than the 60 pounds of ABS plastic!! Also, got a bottle of canoe SPF :) An overly expensive hull cover too. Most storage time will be indoors, not that such will deter thieving a-holes.

I'm not even gonna ask what a carbon fiber/kevlar custom canoe costs…but I am curious. Guessing it's a lot.
Other than choosing carbon composite hull I pretty much went all in. Pretty costs $ :) Full pricing options are found on Swift's website if you must know :)

That is a fabulous canoe! Only 28 lbs! Wow! That will be a breeze to haul around! I'm a little envious!

When I was still in Florida, I shot from my kayak (Wilderness Systems Pungo 120). It was similar to your canoe in that it's a wide flat bottom, which is the perfect stable platform for photography. I miss using mine, but it's hard to find flatwater in SoCal and I've yet to find a place to take it out since returning here.

I feel like it's honestly the best way to get close to birds (and gators and otters and turtles) in a lot of areas. I loved it. Paddle very quietly, taking care not to splash, and then let it drift silently the last little bit and birds would let you get within a few feet of them without even the slightest concern. Takes some practice to get good at it, but with it's remarkable how much less threatening we appear in a quiet boat.

I typically carried a large dry bag, which is where the camera lived whenever it wasn't in my hands. Accessory items (and my keys) went into a small Pelican case. But with a larger open area like yours, you could probably do even better with everything in a large Pelican case or similar. I also carried a bunch of towels, because inevitably there's water sloshing around in the hull or dripping down the paddle or whatnot. Kept them in the dry bag too, which also made for nice padding for the camera.

Then after that, of course, the key thing is: don't tip the boat over. ;)

Enjoy! You're going to have a great time with this!
Thanks! Job one will be keep the camera in the boat, dry, even if I wind up in the drink :) Yah, I took it off the car pretty much one handed I realized, just used the second to steady it. Going to take some getting used to paddling such a featherweight boat; thinking it'll be like the first time I rode my carbon framed road bicycle and quite literally changed lanes when I sneezed! :) And yes I'm thinking from the advice here it'll be a mix of a NANUK case and dry bags for camera gear.

That's awesome! I just ordered a Swift Pack Boat 13.6 in Carbon Fusion two weeks ago. It's supposed to be delivered to me here in Southern California sometime this winter or spring. It costs a chunk of change to ship it but I don't have time to drive to Ontario to pick it up next summer. I'm planning to take the boat with me on a trip to the Northern Yukon Territory in spring.
Swift makes incredible boats; you're going to love yours. I hope to take mine to Yukon, NWT next fall when I go! Are you doing any specific tour or location in the Yukon?

Thanks. Great intel. Will look into those Overboard bags; above I mused that I'm thinking of a NANUK case rather than a bag -- easy to flip open and closed (waterproof and floats). I'm thinking to begin I'll just take the 500 pf so I can worry about keeping it in the boat without worrying about its weight or size. Have you used a tripod? I'm thinking with the Z9's flip screen the camera low to near gunwale level might be a good strategy.
The Nanuk case you mention sounds good. And it might be easier to use in an open canoe than in a kayak cockpit.

I haven’t used a tripod or monopod in my kayak or canoe. This summer, I used the 500 mm PF (with or without a 1.4x TCIII) or the Z 100-400 (with or without the Z 1.4x TC) on my Z9. Last summer I mostly used the 500 mm PF on a Z7II and sometimes brought a Z6II with the 70-300 mm AF-P FX lens for subjects that were closer. These combinations are quite hand-holdable. And a tripod wouldn’t help with motion, whether of your subject, the canoe or both (often caused by the wind or waves). So I keep my shutter speed up.

Using the flip screen to get lower to the water sounds very good, especially when coupled with AF using subject detect. I did not try that this summer, but should have and plan too. Thinking a bit about how to insure that I don’t drop the camera and lens in the lake doing this.

Can I ask where you're going to paddle locally? I'm dying to take my kayak out again, but it's not suited at all to whitewater and I haven't really been able to find good places to take it in SoCal yet.
Well Toronto is on Lake Ontario (tho most of the city forgets that LOL) and there are a few marshy shore areas accessible, and a couple of river mouths and the Toronto Islands all of which have bird rich shorelines. I'm also a couple hours from Long Point and Long Point Bay on Lake Erie, which has huge marshlands and marshy rivers. North of Toronto a few hours is Algonquin Park which while now even so over used still remains a great place to canoe -- goal one in the spring in fact is to photograph moose from the boat, there. It's rocky there however so the moose may be frightened away by my weeping at the first scratches into the gelcoat of my boat :) There are also a series of wetland ponds in a park called the Leslie Street Spit, on Toronto's eastern waterfront and I plan to portage the boat to those and use the boat as a floating blind (using ghillie blankets to camo the boat). I'll be doing NO whitewater in this boat -- not designed for it and solo I won't be doing much distance on any good moving river as I'd have to canoe up river at some point and that sounds like too much work now in my life :)

Last edited:
One other item on photography fro a canoe or kayak. I tend to keep my shutter speeds up. Waterbirds are often swimming. And even if they are not, wind is another source of motion for the camera and subject -- potentially causing both your canoe and the subject to drift with the wind or to rock with waves.
Thanks.

With the money spent thus far, my camera gear will never see the inside of an open boat. Best of luck to you and hoping you get some great images.
My spouse said something like 'thank gawd it's not another lens' and I didn't bother to mention the actual cost of the boat LOL I'm trying to buy all my toys before I retire in a couple of years! And thanks, and even if there are no good shots there'll be good days of paddling :)

I kayak and canoe a fair amount and have taken full bags of gear throughout Voyager NP (lots of open water), the Apostle Islands, the Elkhorn Slough (multiple times), and locally on the St. Croix River. I do not do much other than put my F-stop Bag in the hull between my legs and keep a towel to dry things off. I've used dry bags on occasion, but they get in the way.
My key tips... work slowly, paddle slowly, pack the gear when you need to paddle hard, put yourself in places you can drift or rest the craft against a fallen log.
I've photographed the same heron rookery from a canoe & kayak since 2010 (I think)... it's about 2 to 4 outings per year (weather permitting), and I've learned to work slowly and know that nothing happens only once. I miss a lot of shots because I don't want to swamp the craft, but I also get a lot shots that I could never get if I was not in the water craft.

Have fun w/ your new boat!
bruce
Thanks much! I have been thinking about getting the boat fixed ("against a fallen log" as you say or tied off to reeds) and using it as a floating blind -- thinking spring, Long Point marsh. Just me, one of the most migratory bird rich places in Canada and 40 trillion biting insects :)

She's a beauty Steven. I am a little confused as to where the portable barbeque attaches and water tunes.? Had one when younger for 2 people but never felt comfortable myself but never rolled it even in chop on lakes. I am sure you'll have fun and others are right about water tight bags.
I had to give up the BBQ option for the electric bailer and its solar panels :) I've paddled in open lakes in some 'shouldn't be there' waves in surprise weather and (cluelessly?) had full trust in the boat -- would have been interesting in a 28 pound boat, however! Not going to do that sort of paddling in this boat, tho. Generally I've never felt tippy at all in a canoe, certainly in the kneel position. Definitely a function of what boats I've been in. Will definitely be a learning curve if I'm going to sit upright while holding 15 pounds of camera gear -- gonna change the centre of gravity a wee bit LOL

Last edited:
Steven,

That is a beautiful canoe and you are going to have a great time with it. At 28 lbs it's going to be a dream to paddle, let alone get on and off your vehicle. For fun I have compared your craft with my 17' (65 lbs) plastic "family" canoe and 10' (26 lbs) inflatable kayak. I can just about get the canoe on/off my truck by myself, whereas the inflatable kayak is much more versatile and compacts down to a small suitcase size.

I use two dry bags, one for camera/lens and a smaller one for keys, phone etc. If I am paddling out to a site, I definitely have the dry bags attached. Padding the camera/lens bag is important because you can't protect the camera/lens out on the water the same way you can when on a sling or cradled in your arms.

I have a fair bit of whitewater experience, which comes in handy when offshore in a choppy waters and if I have to hold the lens out over the water. When photographing from the canoe I definitely try to sit on the floor for stability and POV.

Having access to water craft can make all the difference when shooting shorebirds where the sun would otherwise be silhouetting the subjects and/or where the shore is steep and you can't get a decent background. It also helps to photograph offshore marine species like murres, auklets, sealions, dolphins, whales etc.

Shooting from a small water craft has its risks but, if you are prepared (know your limits, learn about local winds, tides, currents, weather forecast, bird behaviour etc.) , it can be extremely rewarding. I'm attaching a few recent shots that would only have been possible from a small water craft.

Have fun in the Spring and I look forward to images taken from it with your Z9 / Z600mm TC combo!

View attachment 49458

View attachment 49459 View attachment 49460

View attachment 49461 View attachment 49462
Great stuff -- intel and advice -- thanks. I've also got a 16'8" plastic (ABS) boat -- Swift Dumoine -- which comes in at just under 60 pounds -- somehow I usually got out of portaging it on trips LOL Remarkably stable boat that tracks like a racer. For most of what I'll be using the new boat for (photography) certainly in the beginning (in the words of the long-time, instructor canoeist who sold me the boat: "I demand you paddle for a few weeks again before you put a camera in the boat with you.") I'll mainly be using the boat as a shoreline floating hide. Nice shots!

Reactions: eft
I am guessing that you will find your canoe is the best camera accessory you have purchased when it comes to wildlife photography of animals in and around water. That's how I feel about my kayak. 14 feet and only 28 pounds - fantastic, my 14 foot Pungo 140 weighs 58.
Yah my other canoe is just shy of 60 pounds. I'm not even sure why I got a yoke for this boat, I can carry it with one hand on my hip :) In the water however, I just may be dreaming of those extra 30 pounds when the wind comes up :)

The Nanuk case you mention sounds good. And it might be easier to use in an open canoe than in a kayak cockpit.

I haven’t used a tripod or monopod in my kayak or canoe. This summer, I used the 500 mm PF (with or without a 1.4x TCIII) or the Z 100-400 (with or without the Z 1.4x TC) on my Z9. Last summer I mostly used the 500 mm PF on a Z7II and sometimes brought a Z6II with the 70-300 mm AF-P FX lens for subjects that were closer. These combinations are quite hand-holdable. And a tripod wouldn’t help with motion, whether of your subject, the canoe or both (often caused by the wind or waves). So I keep my shutter speed up.

Using the flip screen to get lower to the water sounds very good, especially when coupled with AF using subject detect. I did not try that this summer, but should have and plan too. Thinking a bit about how to insure that I don’t drop the camera and lens in the lake doing this.
I was thinking the tripod for handsfree use and using the screen rather than the viewfinder especially if just drifting or when boat becomes a floating blind. And good point (also made by a couple others) re too close with the 500/700w1.4 pf, which I experience on land, let alone in a boat meant to get me closer. 180-400 would work, but it's so heavy it'll be awhile before I trust myself enough to put it in the boat. 70-200 will have to come along, as well I'm thinking.

Back