My new 100-400 Closeup lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Two shots with the 100-400S and TC2.0 on my Z6. Was careful about getting too close as this little guy is a bit skittish

RWB-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

RWB-4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Nicely done! A pano crop of #1 would remove the highlight orb and reduce the background dominance in the image. Likewise, a 4x3 crop of #2 would remove the bright OOF area at the top of the frame and create a much stronger composition.

Nicely done! A pano crop of #1 would remove the highlight orb and reduce the background dominance in the image. Likewise, a 4x3 crop of #2 would remove the bright OOF area at the top of the frame and create a much stronger composition.
Agreed and this exercise was simply to show what a full frame closeup could look like with this camera/lens combo.

I too am happy with what can be captured. Next will be work on a tripod to see how good it can get and how close I can work. I have some closeup flower shots handheld but haven’t looked at them yet. Too many other things to do.

The fact that you had to tell us that you were using a 2x TC on your 100-400 shows just how much lenses have improved of late. If I had shown a macro from my old Canon 100-400 with a 2x, you would have asked me if I had forgotten to wait for the lens to de-fog!

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: JAS
I am quite impressed with the closeup shots from this lens with and without the TC. These were all shot handheld, but would have been better from a tripod to better manage the shallow depth of field and to try focus shift shooting.

I only wish Nikon’s focus stacking feature left the viewfinder live for the duration of the stack. The Z9 would be an ideal handheld focus stacking camera, and the 100-400 an ideal lens, if it were only programmed to do so!

But yeah, the 100-400 seems like it’s going to be a great bug chaser. Can’t wait for the bugs to show their face around here so I can put mine to use!

Reactions: JAS
I only wish Nikon’s focus stacking feature left the viewfinder live for the duration of the stack. The Z9 would be an ideal handheld focus stacking camera, and the 100-400 an ideal lens, if it were only programmed to do so!

But yeah, the 100-400 seems like it’s going to be a great bug chaser. Can’t wait for the bugs to show their face around here so I can put mine to use!
Also can't wait for the gardens to bloom to attract the bees and bugs and to use this lens for flowers that are too far away for the Z 105 Macro. Cloaeup landscape work.

Back